Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:55:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Occupy Wall St. Debating whether convert funds over to Bitcoin  (Read 3176 times)
klaus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 07:47:53 PM

thx to bbit

"now confronting its own wrenching financial conflict: how to divvy up the nearly $500,000 the group has raised via donations"

"The fights over financing are as varied as the protesters' reasons for protesting. Should the library buy the cheapest tables available or more sturdy, durable ones? Should the funds be spent on infrastructure in Manhattan or to help Occupy movements across the U.S.? Should all the money be converted to an alternative currency like Bitcoin?"

Source:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/24/occupy-wall-street-money-donated-tension_n_1029377.html

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50276.0

bitmessage:BM-2D9c1oAbkVo96zDhTZ2jV6RXzQ9VG3A6f1​
threema:HXUAMT96
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
johnj

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 07:52:55 PM

From the article, seems as if the money decisions are decided by a vote of everyone - but very few people actually 'understand money', and many of the protesters just let the 'money guys' of the protest handle it.

Obviously they're discussing that by spending the fiat directly, they're just enabling 'the system'.  Even putting it somewhere runs the risk of having the account frozen for arbitrary reasons.  While they still need to by supplies and such, I guess they're looking at Bitcoin quite seriously.

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2011, 09:19:26 PM

From the article, seems as if the money decisions are decided by a vote of everyone - but very few people actually 'understand money', and many of the protesters just let the 'money guys' of the protest handle it.

This is rather ironic.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Minsc

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 10:19:45 PM

If they buy bitcoins, they'll lose 1/4th of their money, sadly.  If they bought a little in bitcoins, it might be 1/2 or 1/3, but they'll probably buy large amounts of coins at once.

1DcXvfJdeJch9uptKopte5XQarTtj5ZjpL
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 11:16:25 PM

Why not just buy-as-they-go and use bitcoin via bit-pay or mtgox? They can organically show businesses one-by-one how to accept bitcoin for payment and either keep them and/or convert instantly to local currency.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 12:03:25 AM

Why not just buy-as-they-go and use bitcoin via bit-pay or mtgox?

The main pragmatic point to their using Bitcoin would be to secure themselves against seizure of funds. Buy-as-they-go isn't an option if that's the goal. Of course, they could just dump their USD into one or more Mt. Gox accounts, but then they'd have to trust Gox. Try selling the idea of giving all your money to some guy on the Internet to a very diverse crowd of people...

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 12:32:26 AM

Why not just buy-as-they-go and use bitcoin via bit-pay or mtgox?

The main pragmatic point to their using Bitcoin would be to secure themselves against seizure of funds. Buy-as-they-go isn't an option if that's the goal. Of course, they could just dump their USD into one or more Mt. Gox accounts, but then they'd have to trust Gox. Try selling the idea of giving all your money to some guy on the Internet to a very diverse crowd of people...

Indeed. This is the decision we must all make.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Joseph sterns

November 01, 2011, 12:35:03 AM

I hope they do, it would be fantastic publicity for bitcoin and is pretty much what occupy is for, a decentralized currency. run the idea by those that understand it and I gaurantee that they will be for the idea, although the uneducated definitely outnumber the smarter individuals in the protest,

Hopefully some of the crowd will be drawn to btc I'd like nothing more than to see bitcoin succeed all bitcoin needs is more ways to use them other than day trading
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 12:44:45 AM

What do they have? USD. What do they need? Sleeping bags, blankets, gloves, food, etc. How much of this can they purchase with Bitcoin (aside from services that sell gift cards for Bitcoin and immediately sell the Bitcoin for USD) ? Not a whole lot.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
Tulkas

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

Founder, BTCJAM

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2011, 02:01:22 AM

I hope they do, it would be fantastic publicity for bitcoin and is pretty much what occupy is for, a decentralized currency. run the idea by those that understand it and I gaurantee that they will be for the idea, although the uneducated definitely outnumber the smarter individuals in the protest,

Hopefully some of the crowd will be drawn to btc I'd like nothing more than to see bitcoin succeed all bitcoin needs is more ways to use them other than day trading

+1

BTCJAM - Peer to Peer Bitcoin Lending
https://btcjam.com
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 02:07:54 AM

What do they have? USD. What do they need? Sleeping bags, blankets, gloves, food, etc. How much of this can they purchase with Bitcoin (aside from services that sell gift cards for Bitcoin and immediately sell the Bitcoin for USD) ? Not a whole lot.

Local businesses would adapt if they boycotted the USD.  Food is already available for BTC, and compared to debit/credit card fees, bitcoins are cheap to transact in.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
old_engineer

Activity: 387

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 03:47:56 AM

If they buy bitcoins, they'll lose 1/4th of their money, sadly.  If they bought a little in bitcoins, it might be 1/2 or 1/3, but they'll probably buy large amounts of coins at once.

Nah, they're not stupid.  Most likely someone that's familiar with bitcoins would help them buy and use additional coins efficiently.

The coins that have been donated to them appear to be circulating, not just accumulating at the main donation address, so someone knows what they're doing:
https://blockexplorer.com/address/1Q7DQVTubbUqr5by2YoZJRKCEzj9D3LQ9w
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2011, 06:08:04 AM

I would propose that they start converting a fixed percentage of all newly donated funds into bitcoin going forward. Start building a local non-bank controlled economy with those local businesses around them, and start giving the world an example of what can be done without the "1%" getting involved.

It is unfortunate though that the easiest way to convert dollars into bitcoin is through Chase. I doubt that they would like that.

Edit: Unless the manipulator is there, and can sell his massive stockpile for cash directly...

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Minsc

Activity: 210

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 06:58:20 AM

There's some bitcoin <--> cash services not using banks.

1DcXvfJdeJch9uptKopte5XQarTtj5ZjpL
Dan The Man

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 01:47:27 PM

I would propose that they start converting a fixed percentage of all newly donated funds into bitcoin going forward. Start building a local non-bank controlled economy with those local businesses around them, and start giving the world an example of what can be done without the "1%" getting involved.

It is unfortunate though that the easiest way to convert dollars into bitcoin is through Chase. I doubt that they would like that.

Edit: Unless the manipulator is there, and can sell his massive stockpile for cash directly...

By definition there will always be a richest 1% and except for the single unlikely case of an isotropic wealth distribution, they will always control more than 1% of the wealth.

The same kind of rule applies to almost every distribution of anything. Take the Occupy movement and rank all of those involved by their media impact. How much press coverage do they have. I bet the top %1 control much more than %50 of the press coverage. There is tyranny everywhere if you look hard enough.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2011, 04:34:41 AM

I think for people who are protesting money, and don't even understand what money is to begin with, the question of whether or not to convert it to Bitcoin may be the least of their problems

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2011/10/24/occupy-wall-street-money-donated-tension_n_1029377.html
johnj

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 04:45:33 AM

I think for people who are protesting money, and don't even understand what money is to begin with, the question of whether or not to convert it to Bitcoin may be the least of their problems

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2011/10/24/occupy-wall-street-money-donated-tension_n_1029377.html

1) They're not protesting 'money', they're protesting the influence corporations have over government, due to the density of the wealth distribution

2) Your link is the same as the link in the OP

3) This coming from a guy who wanted to raise 500k to buy a restaurant operated by robots.

Vanderbleek

Activity: 518

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 04:51:55 AM

That article is fantastically ironic. Hopefully the inability to get their act together will teach them a little something about how things like the gov't work.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2011, 06:26:51 AM

3) This coming from a guy who wanted to raise 500k to buy a restaurant operated by robots.

Look who didn't get the joke.  Did you hear the actual whooshing sound?

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
johnj

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 06:28:26 AM

Look who didn't get the joke.  Did you hear the actual whooshing sound?

Sorry, I've yet to be able to successfully determine between posts which are a waste of time and whole accounts which are a waste of time.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: