Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:08:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the difference between ICO and Token Launch with no ICO?  (Read 78 times)
jjeeppeerrxx (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 38

View Profile
September 15, 2018, 08:18:56 AM

An initial coin offering (ICO) or initial currency offering is a type of funding using cryptocurrencies. In an ICO, a quantity of cryptocurrency is sold in the form of "tokens" ("coins") to speculators or investors, in exchange for legal tender or other cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin or Ethereum.

My question is this:

Why is it there are cryptocurrencies with no ICO?
What do you think is the reason why some cryptocurrencies don't have an ICO?
What's the advantages and disadvantages of ICO and No ICO Cryptocurrency?
bitChipper

Activity: 896
Merit: 290

View Profile
September 15, 2018, 06:04:44 PM

Watch and listen what Jay Clayton chair of SEC has to say about crypto currencies in the video below from 2:03-2:30, he clearly states the differences between pure crypto currencies like bitcoin and ICO tokens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFr1ooaVPjY&list=PLDt0J62yU45vZ15bdGAmZuuyuLtd-MCxc

Why is it there are cryptocurrencies with no ICO?

For several reasons, one being that before Ethereum it wasn't possible to launch a crypto token very easily. You would of had to launch your OWN coin on your own blockchain and have developers manage the chain and have miners support it, with ethereum anyone with a little bit of solidity knowledge could launch their own ICO token

The second reason I think is that because ICO tokens are or could be seen as a security, since most of them have companies behind them they fit the criteria Jay Clayton talks about above. Also in the traditional sense of crypto, ICOs are not a fair form of distribution. Take Bitcoin for example, there was no initial offering, everyone had the same chance to mine it or buy it, there was no exclusive rights to whales to buy it at a cheaper price like some of these ICOs run.

I would bet that 99% of bitcoin maximalist believe all ICOs are scams, some go so far as to say smart contracts themselves have no use.

The advantage is clearly that you can get a butt load of capital right off the bat but some of the disadvantages are probably being seen as a security and or the product/idea failing. Hope you found my answer helpful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: