Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:28:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I buy token and have stopped being an equity investor, is it same for you ?  (Read 90 times)
monacogooner (OP)

Activity: 147
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2018, 09:46:48 AM

Like most addictions, the hardest thing is to admit to the addiction and then look for medication, counselling or an alternative path.

So, I have found the inner belief and confidence to admit to my issues.

I am a recovering equity angel investor. I have found tokenomics and tokens and am in a sustained period of recovery and am confident that I will not return to my past habits.

I have suffered with the equity illness both as an investor and as a founder looking to raise capital. You might wonder what are the symptoms?

Let’s start with my investor hat on.

Investments that initially forecasting a 3 to 5-year exit via Trade Sale, IPO, etc ......
Waiting 5 years and being not much closer to that Trade Sale, IPO or liquidity event
Getting that familiar call, would you like to follow up, generally not growth capital but to keep the wolf away from the door
I have no liquidity...
I have voting shares, I have 2% of the equity, best use those share certificates for toilet paper, my vote don't count...
Having paper gains based on secondary raises and new valuation, but no way to cash them in
Losing paper gains as a trial fails, new tech comes from nowhere and knocks you out
The good old pivot and I find I am invested in something that is way different to what I invested in and have no clear ideas why it has been 'pivoted'
VC comes in and want excessive protections, Board positions for the 'risk' capital and network they bring with them, one a lot of risk is gone
VC then is like a bulldog on when the exit should be to suit his IRR target, not what may be best for other shareholders
ah, just to makes sure I don’t forget again, I have no liquidity

Now with my founders’ hat on

Only have runway of 9 to 18 months, if lucky
Continuously thinking about the next funding round so I can pay the payroll in 6 months
Spending time on presentations, investor calls, 'doing' the circuit trying to get 250k
Not making best use of my time, I am not a closer of deals, that not my skill
Cannot get the good hires, who wants to work with a company that might not pay the payroll in 3 months
Running out of liquidity on minimal salary, eating baked beans on toast
Get sick with bad diet and stress of looking for money

There are many other symptoms, but for the others out there, these may help you recognise the illness and come to terms with it.

I had much counselling, many discussions, made a lot of research and saw a way out. I came across a thing called a token. I am in the recovery phase.

I have recovered to a level where I am no longer an investor, but a contributor. It feels better. Why?

I don't pretend, I contribute and purchase tokens mainly as speculation
I want liquidity and a token, if chosen carefully can give me that
When and if my paper profit is 100%, I can TAKE SOME PROFIT, does that feel good, too dam right
If the company fails a trial, gets overtaken when I have TAKEN PROFIT do I care, no from a financial point of view and yes if it’s a good team who have worked smart and hard and been hot with bad luck
If the company is slow or pivoting and I don't get it, what can I do, I don't have a vote? Hey, I have a better tool, I bail out and turn the tokens into cash rather than wait for a slow 5-year death. I have taken a 40% hit, so what, I have 60% left to play another day
The business might be working very well, this token thing is good, its used to incentivise community and users, marketing is direct and effective
Funding risk is gone, company is funded for 2 to 3 years, team is working on the business not raising the next 500k
There are new risks, exchange risk and execution risk. One is new and can be addressed and solved, one is the same as I had when I had my illness

Now looking as, a founder who is looking for funds to build a business, a token feels better

I can sleep at night, I have enough funding to hit milestones and to execute
No VC sat on my shoulder trying to call the shots and pushing for an exit to hit their IRR requirement
It’s great to use the token as a tool to drive engagement, push Meltcalfe, get the token flywheel spinning
There is a community of followers of the company, a team of influencers and marketers who do it because they like the project, some are token holders, some just want to 'be involved' with a project they like
The 'competitors' to me want to discuss and talk and from partnerships to grow the sector or niche
The unknown is how and what will happen with M and A with a token in the mix
My medicine is working, I feel good. I have reignited energy and passion. I am sure it will take a few more years to use the American term I hate ’find closure ' on my past illness while I wait for the trade sales or IPO's.

I would recommend anyone who sees signs of the illness to look at the indicators, see if you can take the step forward and take the token medicine.

PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH, BUT DO NOT JUST LISTEN TO THE TOKEN DOOMSDAY BRIGADE. AS I KEEP SEEING ON VIDEOS 'SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE'

I am very pleased that the team at https://www.ammeris.com/ are working closely with the team at https://www.virtualrehab.co/ and both showing the way with Canadian skills, resources and innovations. Pleased to be an associate of the #cryptocanucks

Please also not the tongue in cheek nature, I am very happy with the equity investment I have generally and would not want any of the founders I have invested in to read this is the wrong way!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Denlv

Activity: 350
Merit: 39

dApps Development Automation Platform

View Profile
September 15, 2018, 09:58:33 AM

Thats truly good story,im out now from crypto bull game,becose i lost too much funds  now.For me now best strategy is to hodl for this year end and see what happens.

Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
September 15, 2018, 10:39:47 AM

unfortunately there is no cure for stupidity and the service you are advertising here is exactly exploiting that stupidity in people. what you are describing here has nothing to do with addiction but stupidity. all you can link it to which is related to addiction is gambling where some people who confuse investment and trading with gambling are suffering from. but then again you can't call that "investment" and they are not "investors"

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
monacogooner (OP)

Activity: 147
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2018, 12:54:25 PM

Meant to be tongue in cheek comparing the pros and cons of equity v token funding ..

And I actually think the work being done by the team at Virtual Rehab is actually very good and has been very beneficial for suffers of addiction and those who have been in correctional facilities.
GreotDollyce

Activity: 92
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2018, 12:42:57 PM

For some people this market and the entire procedure of making money has turned into an addiction. But we need to make sure that this is not costing us to be homeless or causes strain in our relationships with the family members. So, what you have stated in the post shows signs of addiction and to some extent endorses a level of obtuseness. We need to be careful that the addiction is for the good, and not for bad.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: