Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 01:12:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: QUESTION: Can you choose a specific address?  (Read 120 times)
btc4peace (OP)

Activity: 445
Merit: 251

pHp DeV

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2018, 03:22:14 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to create an address for a crypto but you choose your own address?  I mean it would have to be an unused address of course.  Just curious.  Or, are address creations always random?

tuthienloc92bk

Activity: 364
Merit: 34

Fast, Smart, Trustworthy

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 01:54:45 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to create an address for a crypto but you choose your own address?  I mean it would have to be an unused address of course.  Just curious.  Or, are address creations always random?

Of course... it always random. You can only choose the private key (with some wallets, you can do that).
goodman4hire

Activity: 291
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 02:01:18 PM

I sit there when bored and click through 1000's of them to get address that end in English words.  This way I can quickly and easily spot check my address when transferring funds.  Would be cool if you had one that was a complete sentence or something.  I usually go for a 3 letter word at the end.  Best i have gotten after many attempts is LEGOS (5 letter word)

MyCryptoBank  ――  Legal and Reliable Crypto Bank
Whitepaper  ――  CRYPTOBANK FOR CRYPTOCOMMUNITY  ――  Announce
―― Medium ―― YouTube ―― LinkedIn ―― Telegram ―― Facebook ―― Twitter ――
TheBiochemist

Activity: 134
Merit: 2

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 02:04:37 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Vanitygen

https://hive.blog/@clausewitz
askmecrypto

Activity: 406
Merit: 109

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 02:28:03 PM

There are few services that could allow your requirement. But personally, I would prefer it as random as it could be due to security/anonymity and privacy reasons.
siddartha1492

Activity: 952
Merit: 284

In love with Bitcoin!! 💓💕

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 02:40:09 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Vanitygen

There you go. That's the perfect answer for your question. But it seems like you will need a lot of processing power to generate a wallet address of your preference. And the more personalized wallet address you wish to generate, the harder and time consuming it is.

terrific

Activity: 2170
Merit: 506

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 02:44:30 PM

For bitcoin its possible but for few first characters/letters.

This is for bitcoin.

OP if you are looking for bitcoin address, this is what you are looking for.
But for altcoins, I'm not sure if this will help you.
Vanitygen support for 70+ altcoins! +oclvanitygen and encrypt decrypt privkeys

.SWG.io.

..Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15..

..Buy Now..

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
..CONFIRMED..

btc4peace (OP)

Activity: 445
Merit: 251

pHp DeV

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2018, 02:51:06 PM

The reason i asked is because there may be a serious security flaw if this is the case. 

Not trying to do anything with it, and will not mention the flaw.  Going to test on my own wallets and if i can "hack" myself then i am dumping those coins!

Vanity generators say they take longer when using more characters, ie finding an address with the word "cat" takes less time than finding one with "elephant".

What if I had a full address to search for?  Well of course if the address already exists on the chain then i could not generate the keys.

But, what if i could "trick" it into thinking it is a new address (and in my idea, it could) and I got a valid private key to that address.   Couldnt i just import the address with the private key then dump the wallet?

It may only work with certain altcoins.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: