Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:29:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGOX return of funds  (Read 125 times)
Yangleiden (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 03:25:56 AM

Is anyone concerned about the upcoming MtGOX return of funds? I’m not sure what the total # of btc that’s being claimed by their original owners but I’d imagine many may sell which could have huge market impact / price collapse

Thoughts ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JenkinsCharlie

Activity: 33

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 03:28:50 AM

Even if the majority of the recipients all decide they're just gonna hang on to their Bitcoins and not sell, and in the best case scenario only less than 20% decide to sell, that's still 20% of about a billion. If too many sell around the same time, and it's not spread out enough, in the current state of the market with no strong confidence and low volume, that will probably still have an impact.

Now if a lot more people than that decide to sell, or the majority sells, we could be in for a pretty major drop.

Yangleiden (OP)

Activity: 37

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 03:49:47 AM

Even if the majority of the recipients all decide they're just gonna hang on to their Bitcoins and not sell, and in the best case scenario only less than 20% decide to sell, that's still 20% of about a billion. If too many sell around the same time, and it's not spread out enough, in the current state of the market with no strong confidence and low volume, that will probably still have an impact.

Now if a lot more people than that decide to sell, or the majority sells, we could be in for a pretty major drop.

Indeed, and then bitmex ppl will try to short and down we go. Personally, I’m holding for next few years so I welcome the buying opportunity. Even if a recession was to start in US, crypto is here to stay and at worst the recovery time might just be extended

FionaRice124

Activity: 34

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 03:55:31 AM

Not concerned, it won't have any affect on the operation or principles of Bitcoin. Even if there is a sell off, it will have no long term impact on the price. It might provide a buying opportunity though.

NatalieBoyd43

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 03:59:13 AM

Not concerned, it won't have any affect on the operation or principles of Bitcoin. Even if there is a sell off, it will have no long term impact on the price. It might provide a buying opportunity though.

Yep agreed with you on all points. Is there any way to know how much BTC is expected to be returned ?

FionaRice124

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 04:02:11 AM

Yep agreed with you on all points. Is there any way to know how much BTC is expected to be returned ?

I honestly don't think there is way to predict it accurately. Value is subjective. Bitcoin, just like any currency or store of value, only has the value that people place in it. I believe over time more people will come to place more value in Bitcoin, and since it is strictly scarce, the value of each satoshi should rise. By how much??? I honestly don't know. Maybe more people will come to value it as a store of value, and if so it could take some of the market share away from other stores of value like gold. As fiat currencies continue to be destroyed by their issuers,more people might begin to value as a hedge against inflation. I'm sure there other ways that people might find value in Bitcoin, but right now my wife has dinner on the table, and I place a higher value on that than I do on continuing this post Smiley

Edit: I think I misunderstood your question. You were not asking about expected return on investment, you were asking how much bitcoin will be returned to MtGox victims. I think it's about 170,000 bitcoins.

netfifox

Activity: 21

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 04:38:23 AM

Bitcoins will always be stable in price and that will not affect Bitcoin.
dreamhouse

Activity: 1073
Merit: 666

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 04:40:56 AM

It's a ridiculous thing to return funds, they should return the bitcoin, not money.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: