Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:35:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone is selling a gaming PC (specs inside) is it worth?  (Read 391 times)
jeffthebaker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 04:36:05 PM

Hey all, someone on my Facebook trade group for my college is sending what appears to be a pretty beefy PC. The specs are as follows:

2 gtx970 video cards in SLI
32 g of ram ddr3 2400 mhz
8 hard drives
Boots 4 different system
And a i7 4790k processor

As is it is selling for $1500, although I've been told most pieces can be downgraded if necessary, so I imagine it would do no harm (for mining) to cut down on hard drives and RAM. If I use it to mine while on campus, Electricity is free (I will spend about 60 weeks between now and June 2019 on campus).

Doing a bit of googling suggests that each card will mine about $2.50 per day. Want to know 1) if I'm getting ripped 2) what parts are superfluous 3) is it worth?
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cornl
Copper Member

Activity: 756
Merit: 51

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 06:59:35 PM

Hi,
totally not for mining. GTX970 card does around 20 MH/s in ETHash and 270-290 sol/s (Equihash). You can put the values on www.whattomine.com to see the real profit - with free energy it makes less than a dollar a day. For mining you do not need anything more than 4/8G of RAM. 8 hard drives could be used to HDD mining (see Burst, Storj coins) - not really profitable anyways. Setting a multi-boot is something you will do with a proper tutorial in an hour, so nothing to be paid for extra. The CPU is fine, but times of CPU mining are long gone.

To sum up: if you buy it with intention to mine, don't. You can get a lot better equipment for your bucks. And even for gaming/server computer the price is discussable. Better cards like GTX1070 are now available used for like $300-$350 easily. So it is a rip-off and it is not worth it.

nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 07:02:00 PM

That is a terrible deal.  For mining it is pretty much worthless.  As for buying it for a gaming rig, I would say its worth under $500.
Thekool1s
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 07:16:21 PM

totally not for mining. GTX970 card does around 20 MH/s in ETHash

No, it doesn't. The DAG is too large for a 970 to produce those numbers. I have owned a 970, The statement is false.

Doing a bit of googling suggests that each card will mine about $2.50 per day.

My rigs with 4 x 1070 are making a total of $2.5 per day, dunno from where did you get those figures. You will not even break even with free electricity. As for the price, It seems fair but could be lower. Do keep in mind people will assume US market rates here so if you are outside of US this might be a good deal for you.

As for buying it for a gaming rig, I would say its worth under $500.

Would you mind finding me one with specs like the OP posted?  Roll Eyes
ltcsprite

Activity: 269
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 08:08:47 PM

rip off, $700 max, depending on the hard drives.

vmozara

Activity: 190
Merit: 59

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 08:27:11 PM

wow, this is terrible deal

First, these 8 hard disks, i am pretty sure these are old 120-320GB HDDs, not 1TB SSDs, second, this machine has 0 upgrade path, third, booting 4 different systems adds 0 to the value.

If you really considered 1500$ budget, you can buy super nice desktop pc machine that can even grind some coins much better and be much better overall for gaming and everything else.

I really, really hope you first asked here, not AFTER you bought. Don´t be loser, don´t let anyone take our money away
liuqi

Activity: 1092
Merit: 257

LuckyB.it is Back!

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 09:48:07 PM

Hey all, someone on my Facebook trade group for my college is sending what appears to be a pretty beefy PC. The specs are as follows:

8 hard drives
Boots 4 different system
And a i7 4790k processor

As is it is selling for $1500, although I've been told most pieces can be downgraded if necessary, so I imagine it would do no harm (for mining) to cut down on hard drives and RAM. If I use it to mine while on campus, Electricity is free (I will spend about 60 weeks between now and June 2019 on campus).

Doing a bit of googling suggests that each card will mine about $2.50 per day. Want to know 1) if I'm getting ripped 2) what parts are superfluous 3) is it worth?
You said false detail then how you expect 2.5 USD in each card for per day. Number of in miners are available in this forum but your cost is too costly. The current situation mininig platform is slow down so it is not a valuable investment.
If you want to sell your complete rig must clearly explain everything then only peoples are ready to see your rig.

JACS|JUST ANOTHER
COMMUNICATIONS
STACK
██     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████     ██
████████████ █▄
████████████ ███▄
████████████ █████▄
████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
███████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
███████████ ██ ████████████
███████▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀██████████
████████▄   ▄▄▄▄  ▀████████
█████████   ████   ████████
█████████         ▀████████
█████████   ████    ███████
████████▀   ▀▀▀▀   ▄███████
███████▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄█████████
███████████ ██ ████████████
█████▄    ███████▀    ▄████
███████    █████▀    ██████
███████     ███▀     ██████
███████ █    █▀ █    ██████
███████ ██     ██    ██████
███████ ███   ███    ██████
█████▀   ▀██ ███▀    ▀█████
█████▀               ▀█████
████▌                 ▐████
████       ██▄▄        ████
████       ██████      ████
████       ██▀▀        ████
████▌                 ▐████
█████▄               ▄█████
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 09:53:52 PM

This isn't even a good deal for gaming, considering the age of the 4790k and the great deals you can get now on chips such as the Ryzen 2 and Intel Coffeelake processors. You didn't list the capacities of the 8 drives (I assume they're HDDs), but even if they happened to be average SSDs the build would still not be worth $1500. Everything in this rig's pretty outdated, especially the 970s, and you're better off getting a newer board and cheap cpu like the G3900 or G3930 and mining with newer cards.

Basically every part in this rig is superfluous, and we don't even know how many open PCIe lanes are open on the thing.
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 10:38:17 PM

That PC might be worth half of that price if you sold all the parts on ebay, but I wouldn't pay over $500 for it and that would be for gaming not mining.
revenant2017

Activity: 728
Merit: 252

Healing Galing

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 11:51:59 PM

I would buy that for less than a thousand bucks. Without the two gpu's, my initial starting price point could be around $500. I've search a week ago the same specs on ebay(Canvassing for quotation that was sent to me) and found some decent prices around $500-$700 refurb. Even in provantage, the price point of refurb is around that without the GPU's. I would highly suggest buying it out without the cards then bought a used 1070 instead.
crairezx20
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
September 18, 2018, 01:46:20 AM

That's too expensive for mining or gaming rig and I think you can't make $2.5 per day with this build.
Even my 1080ti couldn't reach $2.5 per day in mining altcoin except for shitcoins.

I advise you to build your own rig than buying that build because you can build cheaper with higher performance for mining or gaming PC.

Use this calculator https://www.coincalculators.io
And you will see the list of coins you can mine with the maximum or higher profitability.
Spill

Activity: 94
Merit: 5

View Profile
September 18, 2018, 02:11:46 AM

That is a terrible deal.  For mining it is pretty much worthless.  As for buying it for a gaming rig, I would say its worth under $500.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This post says it all, thats a horrible deal and you aint going to mine much with 2 970's.  500-600 is about right.
jeffthebaker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2018, 02:37:40 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone. I figured it was too pricey but wanted to make sure. She said it was "worth $1500" and when I asked her how much she just repeated $1500. As far as profability I think I just googled what the graphics cards can earn daily for mining which ofc sounds to be much too inflated a value. I'm not even going to bother responding. Thanks for your inputs, all.

If anyone wants to help out further I'm also curious about putting together a DIY Skyminer. Anyone have experience or opinions on the matter?
perri

Activity: 215
Merit: 3

View Profile
September 18, 2018, 02:41:48 AM

You may get this information from some old articles. Even while you are using all of that setup for mining (GPU & CPU) I doubt it can reach more than $3 daily profit (after operational cost)

If anyone wants to help out further I'm also curious about putting together a DIY Skyminer. Anyone have experience or opinions on the matter?

Do you plan to use Pi?
Ribbitforum

Activity: 487
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 18, 2018, 02:50:02 AM

8 hard drives
Boots 4 different system
And a i7 4790k processor

Its worth it if the coin that you are going to mine is a profitable one, if not then its not worth it Roll Eyes
jeffthebaker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2018, 05:12:50 AM

You may get this information from some old articles. Even while you are using all of that setup for mining (GPU & CPU) I doubt it can reach more than $3 daily profit (after operational cost)

Do you plan to use Pi?

Yes I believe so. I spoke with a Skycoin representative at a convention recently and he suggested to just DIY it since it saves money and there are supposedly plenty of tutorials online. I've only just dipped my toes in mining but I've got a solid background in CS so I don't think it would be out of my capabilities.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
September 19, 2018, 07:43:48 AM

Some guy I know had a bunch of GPUs and other mining equipment like motherboards, CPUs and power supplies.

He tried to sell the GPUs and nobody wanted to buy them. So instead he threw away his open air rig wooden frame and bought a computer case and made a computer out of the parts, almost sold immediately and for a large profit.

He did the same with the rest of the parts he had available.

Hence the reason why these computer rigs are overpriced because people pay big money for them.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
perri

Activity: 215
Merit: 3

View Profile
September 19, 2018, 08:04:08 AM

Do you plan to use Pi?

I spoke with a Skycoin representative at a convention recently and he suggested to just DIY it since it saves money and there are supposedly plenty of tutorials online. I've only just dipped my toes in mining but I've got a solid background in CS so I don't think it would be out of my capabilities.

That's good.

He tried to sell the GPUs and nobody wanted to buy them. So instead he threw away his open air rig wooden frame and bought a computer case and made a computer out of the parts, almost sold immediately and for a large profit.

That was a great idea, and the GPU will more valuable when bundled as PCs (gaming PC) moreover the other parts are also rare (Motherboard, PSUs with high efficiency and wattage, etc)  Shocked

nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
September 19, 2018, 10:38:48 PM

I could build a machine with better specs for $500.  The problem with someone selling a machine like the one OP is talking about is that usually the seller is equally delusional and overcharging.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
September 19, 2018, 11:12:21 PM

I could build a machine with better specs for $500.  The problem with someone selling a machine like the one OP is talking about is that usually the seller is equally delusional and overcharging.

From what I understand, its usually the Mothers and Fathers of children that end up purchasing these systems.

They don't want to buy from Dell or Bestbuy because they assume its expensive so they go on Craiglist and search for a "gaming PC" and basically buy whatever is cheapest and that can be $1000-$1500 even though the parts inside are worth $500 max.

The ones who don't understand how these computers work, they just get their kid an Xbox or Playstation instead. Its basically plug and play and most kids will be happy with that also.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██