Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:27:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "It is a moral requirement to make money when you can" - Is it really?  (Read 156 times)
SnowAugustine (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 5

View Profile
September 18, 2018, 10:37:50 AM

https[Suspicious link removed]c_says_he_had_moral_requirement_to/
Got this from reddit. I cannot help but exclaim when I read the news that a pharma exec said that it is a moral requirement for them to raise the price to up to 400% for a UTI medicine. I mean, yeah sure it's great to make money but I think it is straight up bullshit to say that it is a "moral requirement". What part of that is moral? How will you be able to justify raising a price of a medicine that is really not that expensive to make, a cure for an infection that is not even uncommon.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Moloch

Activity: 798
Merit: 722

View Profile
September 18, 2018, 12:36:42 PM
Merited by Foxpup (3)

https[Suspicious link removed]c_says_he_had_moral_requirement_to/
Got this from reddit. I cannot help but exclaim when I read the news that a pharma exec said that it is a moral requirement for them to raise the price to up to 400% for a UTI medicine. I mean, yeah sure it's great to make money but I think it is straight up bullshit to say that it is a "moral requirement". What part of that is moral? How will you be able to justify raising a price of a medicine that is really not that expensive to make, a cure for an infection that is not even uncommon.

I believe he is referring to his stock holders... a CEO has a requirement to make the corporate stock holders happy, or they will fire him.  This is a problem with corporatism.

The CEO has an obligation to make profits by any means necessary (often illegal, as in the case of Wells Fargo).  He is referring to his "moral requirement" to stock holders / board of directors, rather than any moral requirement to the citizens of the country.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_Fargo_account_fraud_scandal

It's a bullshit way to say, "they would fire me if I didn't raise the price"... unfortunately it is true, they would simply fire him and replace him with a CEO willing to raise the price by 400%

This is a problem with corporations... it's all about the money, and they will crush anyone who gets in their way, even their own CEO
kwakgyimah

Activity: 98
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 12:53:27 AM

The aim of almost all corporate companies is to make huge sums of money as profits. Usually they don't really care whether it is morally right to do so or not. I think companies don't base their activities on morality, they are mostly concerned about how to maximize profits without any input of moral justification. Hence the issue of morality is mostly out of place when it comes to issues of money making.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: