Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:29:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IS CRYPTOJACKING PREVENTABLE?  (Read 115 times)
JASNISHI (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 18, 2018, 03:41:36 PM
Merited by cloudfir3e (1)

HI FRIENDS! I Recently found about CRYPTOJACKING… as one of my cousins got affected with it. This is what I came to know.
Cryptojacking is the unauthorized use of someone else’s computer to mine cryptocurrency.

Cryptocurrency doesn’t grow on trees. No, it grows on servers, waiting for the right miners to come along and release it. Cryptojacking scripts primarily use the system CPU to do this. Hackers do this by either getting the victim to click on a malicious link in an email that loads crypto mining code on the computer, or by infecting a website or online ad with JavaScript code that auto-executes once loaded in the victim’s browser.
https://cryptoiscoming.com/the-rise-and-rise-of-cryptojacking-what-you-need-to-know/

In a sense, cryptojacking is a way for cybercriminals to make free money with minimal effort.

In a recent report, Russian security firm Kaspersky Labs found that unwarranted Monero mining can greatly damage computer’s batteries, and can take a heavy toll on CPUs
https://www.fastcompany.com/40512438/cryptojackers-are-coming-for-your-phone-and-could-even-damage-it

It is clear that as the cryptocurrency markets continue to gain popularity, issues like cryptojacking will continue to become more prevalent, and that solutions to this problem are greatly needed.

What will you suggest that should be done?
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Laxus215

Activity: 244
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 18, 2018, 03:55:55 PM

Many peoples have been affected by cryptojacking in the past and still getting in the trap of the scammers. It's better to avoid faucets and cloud mining sites as this site's have the settings to mine cryptocurrency in the background which we don't realise early. Good and informative post OP keep up the good work.

VackFromOhm

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

It's turtles all the way down!

View Profile
September 18, 2018, 03:58:41 PM

Many peoples have been affected by cryptojacking in the past and still getting in the trap of the scammers. It's better to avoid faucets and cloud mining sites as this site's have the settings to mine cryptocurrency in the background which we don't realise early. Good and informative post OP keep up the good work.
Yeah, I hadn't considered that faucets would be likely to do this cryptojacking thing. First places that come to mind for me are torrenting sites, I think there might have been a thing about the pirate Bay doing crypto mining instead of advertisements. I'm not sure which I prefer, considering the advertisements there are awful and in the way of browsing all the time.
the13thsymphony

Activity: 297
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 18, 2018, 04:15:13 PM

It can only be prevented if you are cautious about what your browse and click because even anti-virus or any security software will not be able to prevent it specially if the malware is very strong unless you can decode and deprogram it. So in essence it is up to the user on how he or she can prevent them selves for being infected and get their data or assets stolen.

█≣≣≣   SECURIX   ≣≣≣█
▐▃    NEXT GENERATION OF CRYPTO MINING    ▃▌
http://www.securix.io/
flowers5

Activity: 192
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 18, 2018, 04:32:12 PM

My wifes computer was infected with this.  It would completely hut down our internet yet gave no real indication on her computer anything was wrong.  I finally reformatted everything and switched to Ubuntu.  Internet is blazing again.  Husband is not allowed on faucets any longer.  If your having slow cycling internet issues that you cannot figure out and you have been visiting faucets you may want to reload your OS. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: