Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:24:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core 0.16.3 Released  (Read 2290 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
tesla1994

Activity: 204
Merit: 10

N26 Ambassador - Contact for free promo codes

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 08:44:06 AM

The bug is very serious. I suggest that for at least one month we all put a signature message to remind that everyone should upgrade. I already did it  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
schyter

Activity: 385
Merit: 257

Open to any CryptoBusiness idea you have for Ghana

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2018, 04:33:51 AM

If you have used the bitcoin code for your altcoin then you gotta upgrade as well

achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6531

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2018, 12:27:04 AM

I was thinking of adding bitcore to my portfolio. I don't have lots of space in my drive though Sad can you also do staking in Bitcore?
Bitcore is completely unrelated to Bitcoin Core. Questions about bitcore are off topic for this thread.

GarySeven

Activity: 129
Merit: 17

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 01:52:35 AM
Merited by theymos_away (1)

I downloaded the BTC blockchain and created a couple of wallets with the new version on a USB hard drive. I ran a few mined coins through the wallets and into CoinBase with no problems.

The trouble began when I inadvertently unplugged the hard drive. This is my second day attempting to recover the blockchain. Actually the first attempt resulted in a disk error and scan which was pretty fast but now it seems that I'm having to download the whole blockchain again which of course takes a day or so.

I'm hoping that my wallets are still intact after recovery. I have two workers pointed at those wallets so I am curious to see if the coins mined during the down time will be there.

I also wonder what happens if I ever shut down the node on purpose. I am assuming the wallets will be there but will I have to download the whole damn chain when I restart Core?
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2018, 02:52:38 AM

I downloaded the BTC blockchain and created a couple of wallets with the new version on a USB hard drive.
I would recommend against using USB drives for the blockchain. You are more likely to run into database corruption errors and accidentally corrupt the database by prematurely unplugging the drive (as you have done).

I'm hoping that my wallets are still intact after recovery.
If you are able to start Bitcoin Core with those wallets, then the wallets should be fine. Of course, you should double check that the private keys are correct by signing and verifying a few messages with your addresses.

I have two workers pointed at those wallets so I am curious to see if the coins mined during the down time will be there.
A wallet does not need to be online in order to receive Bitcoin.

I also wonder what happens if I ever shut down the node on purpose. I am assuming the wallets will be there but will I have to download the whole damn chain when I restart Core?
Bitcoin Core requires downloading and verifying the blockchain to work. The blockchain can be pruned, in which case blocks are discarded after they have been verified and area few hundred blocks deep into the blockchain. If you do not have a copy of the blockchain, it will need to be redownloaded.

GarySeven

Activity: 129
Merit: 17

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 12:59:27 AM

Am I reading this right... 0.17.0 has just been released?

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/releases/tag/v0.17.0
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2018, 01:10:44 AM

Am I reading this right... 0.17.0 has just been released?

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/releases/tag/v0.17.0
It has been tagged and will be released in the next few days. The releases occur a few days after the tag is made so that the deterministic builds are done.

Masterkai

Activity: 84
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 05:51:22 PM

What about Bitcoin having like 11 forks?
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 06:58:12 PM

What about Bitcoin having like 11 forks?

Developers of every single fork will have to take care of that issue on their own. Litecoin, which is a fork of Bitcoin, has already got its client patched. I wouldn't expect any reaction from the developers of, for example, Bitcoin Diamond, Emerald and any other Bitcoin clone which nobody uses.

@achow101 Do you happen to know why the minimum transaction fee is going to be lowered in the 0.18 release and not in the 0.17 one?
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2018, 12:42:47 AM

@achow101 Do you happen to know why the minimum transaction fee is going to be lowered in the 0.18 release and not in the 0.17 one?
The PR for that change was too close to the 0.17 branch off date and it did not have sufficient review to be merged.

achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2018, 01:27:46 PM

Bitcoin Core 0.17.0 has been released

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: