Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:10:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Cryptocurrency for Dark Web  (Read 488 times)
bxipp

Activity: 630
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 05:13:23 AM

Bitcoin usage on the dark web was much higher 3-4 years ago but as the coin has become more mainstream it's usage on the dark web has gone down considerably.

Oh. I did not know about that. Thank you for that information. I am glad to know that dark web does not use cryptocurrency as much anymore as before because if more people are interested in using cryptocurrency, associating it with the Dark Web may drive people away from joining the crypto world.
I think they will still use it as long it is currency and safe from tracking, they will always use it because anonimity is important to dark web users. Actually for bad or good thing at least bitcoin can adopted for me.
Bitcoin still being used for the dark web till these day. Because of the anonimity of bitcoin hard to track and safe to use make it a very perfect system for the dark web. For me the used of this kind behaviour make more country banned bitcoin.
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Impulseboy (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 4

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 05:25:54 PM

Once you go Mariana deep, there's no going back. Burn your devices, fake your death and move to a war-torn country where no one would bother looking for you.  Grin

Yes, people use cryptos for horrible things. With bitcoins though, it's possible for law enforcers to track it so it's unlikely that you'd get paid in it. If you are a casual bitcoin user, it's very unlikely you'd get dragged into something like you saw in the movie.

This is exactly why I asked. There is transparency in cryptocurrency, so if people used it for Dark Web, would it not make them traceable? It just made me wonder how it was plausible for someone to use cryptocurrency in dark web without tracing it back to them.
Impulseboy (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 05:32:03 PM

> I am simply asking if it is indeed possible and its dangers.

Oh you don't know its dangers? Then I simply advice for you not to do it. That is simple if you want to lengthen your short life here on earth. Many people's lives were corrupted by this dark web. Either they are the victims of a red room and anything that you can consider dangerous there. There is a black market for anything you want to buy in there. Even you can afford to buy a 'child' that is sold there for trafficking. That is what sickening about the dark web is. The bad stories underneath it. Goodluck if you want to try diving. We've warned you enough.

No, I do not want to try it. I have heard stories about it so I stayed away from it, but seeing the film made me saw a peek of how dangerous it can be. It also made me wonder about people using cryptocurrency for evil deeds that, perhaps, this is one of the reasons to consider why it must be regulated? Just my two cents.
Impulseboy (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 05:37:40 PM

Bitcoin was a prominent currency used in an online blackmarket platform called the Silk Road which was completely shut down in 2014 after its operators were caught and was sent behind bars. Let's face it, bitcoin as a currency will be used in illegal trading and schemes no matter how much we campaign against it. It's money, and even fiat is not safe from such schemes, so does bitcoin. There are a lot of dangers residing when you use bitcoin but it's still up to the end-user whether they'll use it for such or not.

Yes, I agree. Bitcoin, just like fiat money, can be used even for Dark Web, but I wonder if it makes it even more dangerous because of the anonymity of bitcoin? And if it is the case, would it not harm the reputation of the entire crypto community to those who wanted to get into crypto but heard of using it for dark web? I wonder if there are people who does not use bitcoin associate bitcoin with Dark Web?
Impulseboy (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 05:44:37 PM

bitcoin or cryptocurrency in general has always been used in illegal acts such as payments and purchases in the dark web.
it has been mentioned that one of the main reason why bitcoin is popular right now is because illegal acts like dark web transaction used it as a means of their payment.
it may be hard to accept but this is the reality

I see. So then the movie was right, cryptocurrency can be dangerous. Could this be the reason why the government ban and tries to stop bitcoin, because some people are using it for the Dark Web? If that is the case then that is sad because there are more people who are using it for good.
EEEian

Activity: 246

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 06:07:07 PM

I've searched around the dark web markets just to see what mysterious things I could unfold a couple times but I'm just curious what we're the effects on the market? Is it now easier for people to slip through the cracks buying and selling goods? Was there a massive drop in amount to be paid for said goods? All in all, any information would perk my interest.
davhek

Activity: 406

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 06:54:29 PM

It is possible, as it was possible to use any other FIAT. If you use Monero, for example, it is much harder to track you down. Cryptocurrencies are just a tool, how you use it is on you.

BigBrother

Activity: 439
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 07:01:56 PM

This is the reverse side of cryptocurrency anonymity. Everything that is anonymous and badly tracked generates some illegal things. But on the other hand, such things existed before the cryptocurrency, so to say that the cryptocurrency is dangerous is not quite right.

jak3
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 08:30:48 PM

I don't think this type of thing is that at any angle. Dark web is much more horror and scary then you can even imagine and they already used cryptocurrency like Bitcoin for 90% of the transactions and it is not new they are using it from the starting of 2010. We cannot stop it and it does not make cryptocurrencies Dangerous. Imagine if I give a candy to a boy and tell him to do something then it does not makes that candy dangerous instead of that the people a person who has told the boy to do something is dangerous.
javadsalehi

Activity: 364
Merit: 13

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 08:35:01 PM

I don't think this type of thing is that at any angle. Dark web is much more horror and scary then you can even imagine and they already used cryptocurrency like Bitcoin for 90% of the transactions and it is not new they are using it from the starting of 2010. We cannot stop it and it does not make cryptocurrencies Dangerous. Imagine if I give a candy to a boy and tell him to do something then it does not makes that candy dangerous instead of that the people a person who has told the boy to do something is dangerous.

Candy was a good example. Everything has its own advantages and disadvantages. Internet, mobile phone, televisions and all the inventions has some disadvantages too.
allthebitandbobs

Activity: 1162
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 08:51:18 PM

most of the darknet stories our made up bullshit. Yes you can use crypto on there too by drugs but so what

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ▄██████████▀▀███████████▄
   ██████████    ███████████
 ▄██████████      ▀█████████▄
▄██████████        ▀█████████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄    ▀▀▀███████
█████████▄▄  ████▄▄███████████
███████▀  ▀▀███▀      ▀███████
▀█████▀          ▄█▄   ▀█████▀
 ▀███▀   ▄▄▄  ▄█████▄   ▀███▀
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
SAFE GAMES
WITH WITHDRAWALS
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 09:40:12 PM

Last night, I saw a movie called Unfriended: Dark Web wherein one of the main characters stole a laptop, which he later found out that it is owned by a member of an anonymous group in a Dark Web. This member sent him bitcoins totaling to $10m to make him do terrible things, dragging his friends into this mess. This got me thinking, I know it is probably possible to use crypto for dark web, but if this is how it is going to be, don't you think that this will make bitcoins and other altcoins dangerous? Can a person really use cryptocurrency for Dark Web?

I wouldn't take Unfriended as a realistic representation of the dark web. The consensus seems to be that it's a really crappy horror movie which is riddled with technical inaccuracies.

Yes, cryptocurrency can be used for dark web activity. It's much better than anything else so far because it's transferable and pseudonymous. But not all darknet activity is illegal, and the illegal activity is no different than what you see in traditional black markets that trade in fiat currencies.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 09:49:01 PM

You're starting off the wrong way round. We may not be here today without Bitcoin commerce via Tor. It was the first thing Bitcoin unassailably did better than anything that came before it.

Bitcoin made commerce on the dark web an established thing. Before it came along there was no completely viable way of doing business with anonymous creeps. At one point Silk Road related stuff made up a large proportion of BTC related buying and movements.

These days I think you'd have to be pretty stupid to use it for anything nefarious. The people tracking it are getting smarter and no doubt more secretive about what they actually can track.
ribowo76

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

The World's 1st Waste to Green Energy DLT Project

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2018, 09:55:19 PM

I think, anyone can use bitcoin for many things. Including for something bad, if for something bad. Not that bitcoin is bad, it all depends on us, for what we use bitcoin  Grin
Baofeng
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1658

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 09:57:03 PM

This got me thinking, I know it is probably possible to use crypto for dark web, but if this is how it is going to be, don't you think that this will make bitcoins and other altcoins dangerous? Can a person really use cryptocurrency for Dark Web?

PS: I am not planning to use cryptocurrency for dark web, I am simply asking if it is indeed possible and its dangers.

Bitcoin has been used in dark web, just go and search about the Silk Road history and its imminent collapse and you will understand how they take advantage of crypto, but if anyone argues that bitcoin is bad then think again, fiat has been worst. Prior to bitcoin, its been the widely choice of criminals and terrorist to finance themselves. You may want to read Silk road and Bitcointalk. How it played a role in its rise and fall.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
b3llsf1l3s

Activity: 616
Merit: 12

Send&Receive Money Instantly, w/ no hidden costs

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2018, 11:44:37 PM

Last night, I saw a movie called Unfriended: Dark Web wherein one of the main characters stole a laptop, which he later found out that it is owned by a member of an anonymous group in a Dark Web. This member sent him bitcoins totaling to $10m to make him do terrible things, dragging his friends into this mess. This got me thinking, I know it is probably possible to use crypto for dark web, but if this is how it is going to be, don't you think that this will make bitcoins and other altcoins dangerous? Can a person really use cryptocurrency for Dark Web?

PS: I am not planning to use cryptocurrency for dark web, I am simply asking if it is indeed possible and its dangers.

In my opinion, the main payment instrument used in the dark web is crypto. This is due to anonymity. So there, they don't need to know each other. And identity is a very expensive price.

plr

Activity: 1148
Merit: 24

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 01:21:09 AM

There's danger on it, because the dark web has full anonymity so better study or arm yourself with knowledge on how to deal with it before threading on that path, I think this is one of the negative part of decentralization and dark web, two combinations that has a huge impact in the industry.
Moiyah

Activity: 630
Merit: 20

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 04:00:36 AM

That movie is an eye opener.
Bitcoin can actually used as a payments in some prohibited websites such as dark web. It is really possibly happening right now. Thus making bitcoins such a dangerous thing but transactions cannot be traced. I am gonna watch that movie you have mentioned later.
meanwords

Activity: 1624
Merit: 163

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 04:10:49 AM

Bitcoin has been first use in the Dark Web. It's actually the reason why Bitcoin got so popular and got use as an anonymous way of transacting money. Yes, it's really a problem because it would create some bad side for cryptocurrency. But still, it helps cryptocurrency grow in a way.
Siren

Activity: 826
Merit: 265

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 04:17:38 AM

Darkweb can be the worst part and it's pulls down bitcoin one side because of its usage.

So still we need be safer in white web to access the wallet or keep the fund safer in your wallet. Mostly darkweb users looking to get the payment for scams and hacks they were doing.

Since they want to be safer without accessing their location this is the best way for them.

Thats what i hate in crypto since the vulnerability of this currency to be used in illegal activities maybe this is one factor thats why we are until now being denied by many countries and with this were always having difficulties.

More issues regarding this has been tackled around but the answers are very few

When i first came here in crypto community i am amazed on what this can give to all the members ,but as time passes by theres this problem that must be solved or else we will be staying in dark position of being accepted worldwide
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: