Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:24:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should new members be allowed to post URLs?  (Read 452 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2018, 11:42:05 AM
Merited by atrocityx (1)

This post by azhar7777 made me reflect on this.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4976339.msg45979485#msg45979485

This will probably be the new trends following sig restrictions.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 11:56:30 AM

It's the thread where our replies to his spam (along with his spam) got deleted @Jet Cash if you remember?

But it does seem like a good idea to disallow newbies to post links (especially when you can accidentally click them when using a trackpad or touchscreen computer). They can easily use something like www[dot]bitcointalk[dot]org or www . bitcointalk . org if they have something useful to share but otherwise it's probably best to disable links (to cut down on phishing attempts and ref link stuff).
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16557

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2018, 12:11:42 PM
Merited by paxmao (1)

Report > "Referal spam" > problem solved Cheesy

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
vlad230

Activity: 616
Merit: 279

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 12:22:00 PM

This post by azhar7777 made me reflect on this.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4976339.msg45979485#msg45979485

If you think of it that's a good point. It's a bit weird to allow newbies to post external links.

These guys can post links to viruses, referral links, phishing links and various malware that can damage your computer or even steal your credentials to BCT, wallets etc.

Best advice you'll get today, JC  Cheesy

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 12:22:12 PM

He's posted the same thing four times though... So it's just giving him an excuse to post it again.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5029457.msg45727425#msg45727425

I don't think we solved the problem...

He did remind me to pm sidehack though so every cloud...
NavI_027

Activity: 1232
Merit: 186

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 12:45:20 PM

Actually, I am also guilty of including URLs in my posts BUT I always make sure that they are correlated to each other — serving as a reference or a support for my statement — and not like this one which looks like an inappropriate advertising. So I agree with the others, he should be reported since we can also conclude that he is liable of doing nonsense post/shitpost.
Talk merit

Activity: 244
Merit: 17

Register for Fit to Talk through me

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2018, 12:54:51 PM

I think we all include URLs, and hopefully they are relevant to the thread topic.

This spambie posted a link to a YouTube video about a coin ( I assume ), and it was not relevant to the thread topic.

The Talk Merit projects
 - Jet Cash has set up a number of projects for Bitcoin Talk members Click here to see the list.
mudyak99

Activity: 304
Merit: 5

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 01:03:32 PM

Not allowed if that url is like a refferal url, or untrusted url maybe..
Alone055

Activity: 1007
Merit: 197

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2018, 01:23:50 PM

I think URLs are okay, as long as they are used correctly, on-topic and on right occasions. And if someone doesn't follow that, then as @LoyceV said, reporting them would easily do the work. Restricting every single thing for lower ranks would seem to be a little too harsh, for me.

These guys can post links to viruses, referral links, phishing links and various malware that can damage your computer or even steal your credentials to BCT, wallets etc.

Can't higher rank members do that too? Should we completely restrict URLs on the forum because of that? I don't think so.
I don't understand why we always treat new members as scammers or bad people by nature. It is not important for all of them to be of the same mindset. If a link posted by a new member looks suspicious to anyone, they should simply not open it and report it to moderators. I don't even trust URLs from higher ranks sometimes if they are not familiar to me, but I know how to deal with them.

Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2018, 01:45:48 PM

The real problem is that spammers and scammers go round the web looking for places to pollute. If you start a forum, you will realise the extent of the problem. They will even find you if you don't post any links to the forum. They dump their spammy links into guest books and forum posts. It is unfortunate, but you have to treat all new members as potential abusers. Once they give an indcation that they may be beneficial members, then you can relax the restrictions.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 03:36:02 PM

I don't think people are getting the point. I'd suggest locking this and making a self mod one.

@stupid user, yes other members can post links but there is almost no value in a newbie account so it's just a throwaway account. I'm not going to spread round a virus am I with a reputation to uphold?
Findingnemo

Activity: 2310
Merit: 757

Bitcoin = Financial freedom

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 03:48:09 PM

If Theymos can remove URL's from the newbie accounts then we can reduce huge social media bounty spams. Embarrassed

Hopefully it will be take into consideration.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
View ArchiveReport to moderator
vlad230

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 07:52:11 PM

Can't higher rank members do that too? Should we completely restrict URLs on the forum because of that? I don't think so.
I don't understand why we always treat new members as scammers or bad people by nature. It is not important for all of them to be of the same mindset. If a link posted by a new member looks suspicious to anyone, they should simply not open it and report it to moderators. I don't even trust URLs from higher ranks sometimes if they are not familiar to me, but I know how to deal with them.
Yes, higher ranks can post links too but they have a reputation to uphold. Newbies will spam the forums with their links having no reputation to keep. Legit members will rank-up to Jr. Member fast.

If Theymos can remove URL's from the newbie accounts then we can reduce huge social media bounty spams. Embarrassed

This is a very good point but I think newbies will posts the links as text. So, it's not going to be 100% effective, just a bit more complicated for the bounty managers to check them (they would have to do a copy/paste of the URL from the post to the browser).
Findingnemo

Activity: 2310
Merit: 757

Bitcoin = Financial freedom

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 06:00:50 AM

This is a very good point but I think newbies will posts the links as text. So, it's not going to be 100% effective, just a bit more complicated for the bounty managers to check them (they would have to do a copy/paste of the URL from the post to the browser).
Bounty managers are also will adopt to the system if that implemented because it is much harder to check all the url's by posting in the another browser so they will use report forms or avoid newbies from their campaigns.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
View ArchiveReport to moderator
RivAngE

Activity: 728
Merit: 169

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 06:37:19 AM

Many forums do that but I don't think it'll help solve anything.

Those who want to post a URL can do it in another way so as to not be detected: www. google .com
vlad230

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 02:31:56 PM

Bounty managers are also will adopt to the system if that implemented because it is much harder to check all the url's by posting in the another browser so they will use report forms or avoid newbies from their campaigns.
Yes, it's going to be harder but I don't think they will mind, since somebody has to do it and the people they were "working" with until then just got demoted and cannot post links.

Many forums do that but I don't think it'll help solve anything.

Those who want to post a URL can do it in another way so as to not be detected: www. google .com
Exactly they can always find workarounds to be able to post links.
bright07

Activity: 392
Merit: 8

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2018, 08:33:21 PM

Well, new members are first of all unrecognized, unknown and they come with  incomplete knowledge, after whatever they bring may be lead to false or sometimes strange, so I don't think so they should do so.
Hanbok

Activity: 79
Merit: 3

View Profile
September 23, 2018, 01:20:33 AM

That is also a good idea. But I think the restriction on link submissions is better than not inserting any links
Example: they can insert a link for 10 minutes
If you have ideas you can join this thread
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5032458.msg45907362#msg45907362
That's my solution in an article on spam URL
vphasitha01

Activity: 196
Merit: 172

View Profile
September 23, 2018, 03:43:04 AM
Last edit: September 23, 2018, 03:54:46 AM by vphasitha01

Hey JC, I have already suggested a solution for stop ( at least to aware other users before clicking) the sharing of refferel spam or phishing links by Newbies. If admin can add some script or whatever code which turned URLs into red colored whenever newbie sharing a link would be great. It's like the PM preferences of our accounts. In that way it is giving early warning to other users before going to click the link.

BTW I don't think theymos would put any further restrictions on Newbies since they got enough at least for now.

This is what I got when I asked about refferel spam. I truly believed it also to be considered as serious offence in bitcointalk and required some period of banning if anyone found guilty.

Thank you for bringing this very urgent matter to our attention. Ref links are truly one of the greatest evils on the forum and should be removed immediately without fail.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2018, 08:58:25 PM

Hey JC, I have already suggested a solution for stop ( at least to aware other users before clicking) the sharing of refferel spam or phishing links by Newbies. If admin can add some script or whatever code which turned URLs into red colored whenever newbie sharing a link would be great. It's like the PM preferences of our accounts. In that way it is giving early warning to other users before going to click the link.

BTW I don't think theymos would put any further restrictions on Newbies since they got enough at least for now.

This is what I got when I asked about refferel spam. I truly believed it also to be considered as serious offence in bitcointalk and required some period of banning if anyone found guilty.

Thank you for bringing this very urgent matter to our attention. Ref links are truly one of the greatest evils on the forum and should be removed immediately without fail.
Or I'd suggest putting the destination next to the link in brackets.
For example,
http://google.com
Would become
http://google.com(google.com)

Is there already an anti phishing thing? My example didn't work, damn you theymos!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: