Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:34:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas, Et al.  (Read 1356 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2011, 02:10:09 PM

To not hijack another thread, I've opt to start a new one inspired by the following:

Nice.  It will take thousands of articles like this (not people saying use Bitcoin you can make 489032904283490382490% profit in 9 seconds) to slowly ever so slowly convince people to try an alternate currency.  We are talking timelines in years if not decades.

That has always been the game plan Smiley

That being the case, then how about greeting cards with an instant wallet containing 1 BTC (or faction of) within. Most of the time, greeting cards are soon tossed, albeit others are held unto for years, as I do. But, what if the sender (and/or a script inside/back-of the card) expressed the potential future value of the card. Not only would they be more inclined to hold onto the card, a new person has now been introduced to Bitcoin. Unless your a Jehovah Witness, we all give gifts throughout the year, mainly in the form of greeting cards with the one exception--Christmas (rarely birthdays)--where we sometimes give both. Even if the Bitcoin greeting card cost $10 USD, ten bucks is nothing for a gift to a friend or loved one.

Thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2011, 02:27:13 PM

Thank you for not hijacking another thread. I guess we are all growing up around here. ;_;

Well, except logansryche.

I'm not an idiot! It only took me 1,471 posts to learn that fact.  Wink
Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2011, 11:41:48 PM

Talk to Deslok of BitcoinPrintShop, he could easily make to-order gift cards.

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
GoWest

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 02:48:26 AM

Why go physical when you can go digital?

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 05:23:30 AM

Why go physical when you can go digital?

I think GoWest has a neat service here: http://bitcoinsforchristmas.com

That's a great idea Bruno. I would buy a few for Christmas if you can get them to market that fast.

I'm not making them. I just offered up this unique idea into the wild. I envision it as a way to get Bitcoin more mainstream.
Eveofwar

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 07:39:59 AM

I think introducing people to Bitcoin isn't healthy, especially the older crowd, until a better "on-boarding" method is developed.  New comers should be able to have the concept and use explained to them in an easy to use fashion.
GoWest

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 01:27:28 PM

I think introducing people to Bitcoin isn't healthy, especially the older crowd, until a better "on-boarding" method is developed.  New comers should be able to have the concept and use explained to them in an easy to use fashion.

We think this is pretty easy: http://bitcoinsforchristmas.com/receive.php?hash=123

dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 01:37:09 PM

We think this is pretty easy: http://bitcoinsforchristmas.com/receive.php?hash=123

It's easier - I wouldn't call it easy.
I've set my mothers computer up with firefox and changed the icon name to 'click for internet'. She can't use email so I created a wiki and bookmarked it for her so I can communicate with her - she leaves comments to message me.
The idea of my mother owning bitcoins scares me.
Eveofwar

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 05:24:17 PM

I've set my mothers computer up with firefox and changed the icon name to 'click for internet'. She can't use email so I created a wiki and bookmarked it for her so I can communicate with her - she leaves comments to message me.

This is essentially what I'm talking about.  Getting those that we would never think we could get to turn into Bitcoiners.  The answer to the question should be "yes", when asked "Can my grandmother and my kid use this effectively?", that's what these new products and customer gateways need to be able to do.  Explanation and easy-of-use, for all age ranges.
ssaCEO

Activity: 568
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 07:51:55 PM

I think introducing people to Bitcoin isn't healthy, especially the older crowd, until a better "on-boarding" method is developed.  New comers should be able to have the concept and use explained to them in an easy to use fashion.

This is essentially what I'm talking about.  Getting those that we would never think we could get to turn into Bitcoiners.  The answer to the question should be "yes", when asked "Can my grandmother and my kid use this effectively?", that's what these new products and customer gateways need to be able to do.  Explanation and easy-of-use, for all age ranges.

Come on, though. We're talking about a process that requires following explicit instructions over the course of three screenshots. Which could easily be condensed into one screenshot that points out your address when you download and open the program. That may be tricky for grandma, but it's still easier than setting up a Paypal account. And having $100 waiting for you is a nice incentive to follow the instructions...

Edit: As an experiment, I will now send my computer-illiterate Dad Bitcoins for Christmas, and post what should be hilarious responses to follow =)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: