Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:11:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mind uploading and/or chip implants in the body as alternative to wallets  (Read 441 times)
Impulseboy (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 4

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 07:52:39 PM

It already happened: "World's first Bitcoin payment to NFC microchip implanted to hand" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyhqjs7wm-M
I wonder if this is the same company that made the news early this year where they had their employees implanted a chip in their hands and the employees used it to pay for goods? If it is, do you not think this could be better to store cryptos in?

The one thing that's becoming increasingly clear as the world becomes ever more internet heavy, is how lax security is treated when efforts really need to be massively stepped up. It appears to be last thing on designer minds.
I agree. And this does not only apply to crypto but the internet in general as well. With technology that keeps on advancing more often than we anticipated, you would think we would see and have better sense of keeping our online accounts safe. Not just e-wallets, but online accounts in general. It is not surprising that a lot of people are being hacked.

Sure, a chip in the finger might be relatively harmless in comparison, but it could easily be used to track your every movement, even your sleeping patterns. Or maybe they could deliberately overheat it?
I think I read a news somewhere this week where the author reported about a chip implant that will hold medical records, however there is a catch: this medical chip implant will have a built-in tracker. If you hold your cryptos in this chip, do you think it will be more dangerous?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Impulseboy (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 08:02:18 PM

Absolutely. You are essentially creating a single point of failure for your entire life, and a poorly secured one at that. It might appeal to the masses who think it's "cool", but anyone with half a brain will stay well away. You can guarantee the government will want some kind of handy little backdoor or tracking software installed on them to.
I wonder, do you think that this chip implant may work on fiat but perhaps not cryptos since the value is higher than fiat money?

So if that chip implant will be applied to cryptocurrency for receiving or sending an altcoin, then your body will mostly be targeted by hackers or will be prone in danger since that chip already gave your private key in public.

Nope it won't be for criminals you are just a walking pile of money waiting to be kidnap and be chopped into pieces by them. By doing so you actually are putting yourself at risk as you will be a vulnerable target for them as they know exactly who you are and of course what you are carrying.
I kind of agree with what both of you said. This chip implant could just well be a disaster waiting to happen, but if the microchip implant is, well, tiny that it may not be visible to people unless you will look closely into a person's hand, then maybe there is less to fear?
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 08:59:44 PM

a bitcoin chip should if some company were to produce one.. only be allowed to transmit a signed tx. and not transmit the underlying privatekey.

I mean, I agree, but then you will need to carry around some small external device that is capable of displaying the transaction for you to read and confirming or denying it. If you have to carry around an external device anyway, then what's the point of an implantable chip?

this has been discussed many times over many years... ever since the movie "in time" (justin timberlake with a population that have a money implant since birth)

people have discussed holding arms lets a communication of request funds (unsigned tx) and the rotating arms triggered a gyro-chips to activate the signature signing code to sign a transaction and then only send a signed transaction back out....
the balance display being embedded in arm too

but yea. still dont trust that... sleep with one eye open incase ur raided during the night by someone twisting ur arm
Cheesy
passwords/ keys have a purpose. swipe or twist are for lazy people who dont care for security

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 10:08:45 PM

I agree. And this does not only apply to crypto but the internet in general as well. With technology that keeps on advancing more often than we anticipated, you would think we would see and have better sense of keeping our online accounts safe. Not just e-wallets, but online accounts in general. It is not surprising that a lot of people are being hacked.

Online banking is a prime example of this. They're shutting down physical bank locations as fast as possible and pushing everyone into online stuff without educating them about the risks. You hear constant stories of people being scammed and more often than not they're left in the lurch by the bank.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 10:32:53 PM

Online banking is a prime example of this. They're shutting down physical bank locations as fast as possible and pushing everyone into online stuff without educating them about the risks. You hear constant stories of people being scammed and more often than not they're left in the lurch by the bank.

To be fair, it's not just banking. People, particularly the older generation, fall for scams all the time - online, phone, post, in person, etc. I have an elderly neighbor who was swindled out of around $1000 a few years ago by some guy who showed up at his door offering to repair his driveway.

I think it's one of the main hurdles to mass adoption of crypto. At least with fiat banks, if you are stupid the bank might notice some strange activity and freeze your accounts, or you can claim back anything spent maliciously on your credit cards. You don't get that with crypto. The buck stops with the user, and most users are bad at security.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 10:55:39 PM

To be fair, it's not just banking. People, particularly the older generation, fall for scams all the time - online, phone, post, in person, etc. I have an elderly neighbor who was swindled out of around $1000 a few years ago by some guy who showed up at his door offering to repair his driveway.

I think it's one of the main hurdles to mass adoption of crypto. At least with fiat banks, if you are stupid the bank might notice some strange activity and freeze your accounts, or you can claim back anything spent maliciously on your credit cards. You don't get that with crypto. The buck stops with the user, and most users are bad at security.

Aye, but it goes a bit deeper quite often - emails being diverted during major purchases like paying builders, phone call spoofing. Even if you're not a granny it's conceivable you'd fall for some of them.

Soon enough banks will find it 100% impossible to contact any customer as they'll refuse to believe it's actually them.
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 11:43:10 PM

Personally I don't see much point behind equipping chip-implants with payment options. You can easily create payment system when you won't need any device - you just associate your account with biometric data and could authorise payments with fingerprints/eye/face recognition. Seems pretty straight forward for 3rd party services, obviously more complicated with decentralised crypto.
it seems biometrics and chip-implants will be two possible technologies implemented in near future
both will have its own advantages and disadvantages
we will have to wait which one is developed more by tech industries and getting more people support
but keep in mind that there is no 100% hack-proof technology

Impulseboy (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 06:25:07 PM

I think this is one of the reasons why some people simply choose to stay with traditional banking and avoid cryptocurrency altogether. I remember a day when a friend and I were talking about bitcoins and another friend joined in. We were trying to tell him about the whole concept of cryptocurrency but he outright dismissed the topic, saying that it is too dangerous and that he does not want to lose money again because he has been a victim of credit card fraud before. So even if I wanted to pursuade him and try to change his mind, I simply kept my silence and respected his decision because he was right: with cryptocurrency, if you are not careful then you could lose a lot of money.
cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 06:29:02 PM
Merited by suchmoon (4), The Sceptical Chymist (3)

Nope it won't be for criminals you are just a walking pile of money waiting to be kidnap and be chopped into pieces by them.

Exactly this. If I don't carry around rolled up $100 bills up my ass why would I want my private keys on me 24/7? If I'm not willing to hand it over they'll rip my appendages off.
Impulseboy (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 06:36:25 PM

Nope it won't be for criminals you are just a walking pile of money waiting to be kidnap and be chopped into pieces by them.

Exactly this. If I don't carry around rolled up $100 bills up my ass why would I want my private keys on me 24/7? If I'm not willing to hand it over they'll rip my appendages off.

But it was a chip implant, I do not think it will be as visible as say carrying a physical wallet. Unless we will have a sign on our foreheads saying "carrying bitcoins, feel free to hack" I do not think there is something to worry too much?
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 06:39:11 PM

But it was a chip implant, I do not think it will be as visible as say carrying a physical wallet. Unless we will have a sign on our foreheads saying "carrying bitcoins, feel free to hack" I do not think there is something to worry too much?

Your chip is designed to be scanned so it'll be emitting a field that can be picked up by anyone with the right sensor. You hear possibly mythical cases of people collecting money by approaching contactless debit cards right now. This would be no different in the sense of being able to ascertain whether you're ripe to be plucked.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2018, 07:29:37 PM

It already happened: "World's first Bitcoin payment to NFC microchip implanted to hand" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyhqjs7wm-M
I wonder if this is the same company that made the news early this year where they had their employees implanted a chip in their hands and the employees used it to pay for goods? If it is, do you not think this could be better to store cryptos in?

Nah, that's a different company. This is the one you mean.

The only upside of storing cryptos in a microchip I can think of is when you live in unstable/dangerous region (or straight-up war-zone) with high-risk of any type of belongings getting stolen or destroyed. But then again, you could just store private keys in encrypted folder(s) in your mailbox.

For active use of microchip you'd need an additional device (to decrypt), so it's pointless imo.

https://www.ccn.com/bitcoin-under-the-skin-why-people-are-using-subdermal-microchip-wallets/
The NFC chips store 888 bytes of data each, which is enough storage for 26 encrypted Bitcoin address keys. Wismeijer says he uses his chips every day to make purchases – the process involves scanning the chips with his smartphone to receive and then decrypt the keys in order to make a transaction

Your chip is designed to be scanned so it'll be emitting a field that can be picked up by anyone with the right sensor. You hear possibly mythical cases of people collecting money by approaching contactless debit cards right now. This would be no different in the sense of being able to ascertain whether you're ripe to be plucked.

This. Near Field Communication and contactless cards are pretty crap unless you add additional security layer on the top (ie PIN). I don't know if it's easy to steal someone's money that way, but I know I accidentally paid with such card: was paying with my 'normal' PIN card but got my wallet (with contactless card in it) too close to the reader.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
ClassyDancer

Activity: 126
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 02:55:41 AM

I think I’s choose mind uploading over an implanted chip. I think a chip in our bodies (which are still prone to diseases and death) will still pose a lot of risk when it comes to security. A digital consciousness however, sounds safer and more practical in the long run. And besides, if the rumors are true about having a virtual world in the future, it makes sense to just digitize everything. Do you agree?
Getcoinsite

Activity: 714
Merit: 260

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 03:04:05 AM

I reserve the right to disassociate myself from anything technological at any moment. I don't want anything buried in my hot body.

The one thing that's becoming increasingly clear as the world becomes ever more internet heavy, is how lax security is treated when efforts really need to be massively stepped up. It appears to be last thing on designer minds.

When you can take control remotely of a Jeep that isn't even autonomous, the move towards everything being accessible is looking like an apocalypse in the making.

Lol made me laugh 😂 atleast it wasn’t a cold body

Kidding aside but the world is not just internet heavy instead this is technology and that is what our future ,nothing can change that so what we need to do is bare,adapt and become more focus on that dame matter

Putting chips is maybe against the human rules,but we have seen all of this since the first movie of jams bond long long time ago,so what we’ve seen from that is what happening now and besides from what ive seen in that movie is. Helpful to human race
IndigoRed

Merit: 1

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 02:13:30 AM

Ouch! An implant sounds painful. Haha.. But seriously, I think there are better, less invasive, alternatives. What about blockchain or iris scans? Those are great technologies that offer top-of-the-line security. Says so right here:

https://www.ijetemr.org/2018/09/12/biometric-secure-access-technologies/amp/
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2018, 10:22:28 AM

I don't think that I'd want to undergo any sort of body modification to have these sorts of implants inserted.
As mentioned in this thread, the danger of people getting access by just brushing against you is something I'd definitely worry about.

Then there's also the long term health risks associated with implanting foreign materials into your body.
I'm not sure if enough studies have been done on that and I wouldn't know what materials they're making these chips out of.

nidacoinlove

Activity: 588
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 10:49:39 AM

I think it is the time to think twice about it before taking any decision of implanting chips in our bodies. I am not a great fan of such technology which is associated with the surgery (where it is not important). On the other hand, I don't see any advantages of it on a bigger level so I would not implant any such chip just for the sake of saving a few minutes.
A foreign body inside a human body always causes damage to it. It's not a good practice to keep yourself so attached to the money and stuff that you keep a side your health issues. I believe that money without a good health is of no use. Also the electronic and internet based programming will always have a threat of being hacked. Therefore it is much better to keep all your wallets and stuff separate from your body.
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2018, 12:04:42 PM

I think it is the time to think twice about it before taking any decision of implanting chips in our bodies. I am not a great fan of such technology which is associated with the surgery (where it is not important). On the other hand, I don't see any advantages of it on a bigger level so I would not implant any such chip just for the sake of saving a few minutes.
A foreign body inside a human body always causes damage to it. It's not a good practice to keep yourself so attached to the money and stuff that you keep a side your health issues. I believe that money without a good health is of no use. Also the electronic and internet based programming will always have a threat of being hacked. Therefore it is much better to keep all your wallets and stuff separate from your body.

Well, I am not totally against it but I believe that it is something that is going against the flow of nature. In the world which is transforming each and every second, I would choose to remain as close as I can with the natural way. Even though I won't criticize the people who want to adopt such kind of technology because at the end of the day it is the personal decision of anyone.
carlisle1

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541

Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 12:13:55 PM

Definitely right on that one,because the brightness of the hackers now considers nothing but their interests

Though i am a fanatic of technology and i love the concept of installing a chips inside our body but for other reason.and not about the wallets that has our precious coins

I agree of separation of physical to technological,never put your wallet inside your body instead hide it in more safety locations
Clavulanic

Activity: 714
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 12:16:45 PM

This is an old blog post I found this morning as I was reading up on cryptos but after reading it, I thought I would share it here in the bitcoin community to ask what is your opinion of implanting chips in your body and/or using your digitized brain as an alternative wallets. This idea came to my mind especially since a few months ago, I saw in the news that there are people who are getting chip implants on their hands and they can use those chips to pay for goods and services. If the chip implants can be used for fiat, do you think it can be used for crypto as well? Also, do you think that if it can be applicable to cryptocurrency, it will make our coins safer from hackers and scammers? And one last thing, will it even make a difference if we have a chip implanted on our body to store our coins?
Personally I praise technology and advancement and cryptocurrency especially bitcoin has proven to be very effective and useful for the modern age of trchnolgy that we have but I cannot agree on chip implants for an alternative wallet. I think if we do these we  we loose the essence of our sanctity as a human being.

██████████

████████

██████

████

██████

████████

██████████
Appreciate Coin
Send and receive tokens
in blogs and social
media communities
▄▄█████████▄▄