Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:26:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nakamoto Found?  (Read 5238 times)
WompRat (OP)

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:02:47 PM

http://mag.newsweek.com/2014/03/14/bitcoin-satoshi-nakamoto.html

Is this for real?

adsdas

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

https://streamies.io/

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:06:36 PM

No.

S T R E A M I E S -  Streaming in Anonimity  -  No rules
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●●     Whitepaper Released    ●● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DISCORD    -    BITCOINTALK    -    WEBSITE    -    EXCHANGE
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:07:10 PM

Erm...

It is an American magazine, but do Newsweek not have a reputation for writing bullshit stories that nobody is meant to believe is real?

with headlines like Hitler was transvestite from Mars, or Freddie Starr ate my Hamster (from a UK equivalent junk tabloid)

Edit: Although this lines right up with my own personal conspiracy theory on Bitcoin:

the trail followed by Newsweek led to a 64-year-old Japanese-American man whose name really is Satoshi Nakamoto. He is someone with a penchant for collecting model trains and a career shrouded in secrecy, having done classified work for major corporations and the U.S. military.

Twas an NSA project all along and now they control it.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
FierceRadish

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:08:35 PM

Despite the lack of proper evidence, my feeling is yes it is for real.

And that makes Newsweek pretty low for putting this man's life in danger.
FierceRadish

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:09:05 PM

Erm...

It is an American magazine, but do Newsweek not have a reputation for writing bullshit stories that nobody is meant to believe is real?

with headlines like Hitler was transvestite from Mars, or Freddie Starr ate my Hamster (from a UK equivalent junk tabloid)

You're thinking of the Enquirer.
MatTheCat

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:12:59 PM

Holy shit. Yeah, you are right.

In that case, it could be true, and I would draw everyone's attention to this extract from the article:

the trail followed by Newsweek led to a 64-year-old Japanese-American man whose name really is Satoshi Nakamoto. He is someone with a penchant for collecting model trains and a career shrouded in secrecy, having done classified work for major corporations and the U.S. military.

Been saying it for months. Bitcoin aint against The Man, it came from The Man.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
FierceRadish

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:14:15 PM

Holy shit. Yeah, you are right.

In that case, it could be true, and I would draw everyone's attention to this extract from the article:

Been saying it for months. Bitcoin aint against The Man, it came from The Man.

Heh - I've just been saying in the wall thread that there's enough in that article to fuel the fires for conspiracy theorists.
WompRat (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:15:12 PM

He is going to come under immense pressure from his family now to spend the coins,  if only so they can go into hiding.  
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 01:15:29 PM

My favorite comment about the article:

This piece is better suited to TMZ. Then again, they might have rejected it for ethical reasons.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:16:31 PM

Could we get this thread deleted.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
fnordfnordfnord

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:19:01 PM

Why?
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 01:19:32 PM

You want to delete this thread, all the threads that are already on this subject and all the threads that will be written on this subject from now on?

You also have to get Newsweek to delete the article - but it has already been pasted many places so that would not do any good anyway.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:20:29 PM

Could be him, I guess. The description, slightly nutty, but brilliant anti-government private researcher certainly fits.

But that's hardly enough evidence. Reading the article it sounds to me the evidence that it's him is basically that the writer of the article says "he implicitly admitted to be the creator of Bitcoin"... Is that sufficient evidence in your eyes?

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:23:11 PM

A newsweek thread? Probably no.

Only to have 5 others appear?

MatTheCat

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:23:16 PM

Heh - I've just been saying in the wall thread that there's enough in that article to fuel the fires for conspiracy theorists.

At what point does conspiracy theory become more like common sense and the orthodox accepted version of events sound like bullshit?

i.e. Who is more likely to have created Bitcoin.

A team of high salaried life long committed cryptology professionals, pooled together under one roof with access to, for all intents and purposes, unlimited resources?

A lone hacker geek sitting in some Japanese attic with his Manga collection?

FierceRadish

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:25:47 PM

Could be him, I guess. The description, slightly nutty, but brilliant anti-government private researcher certainly fits.

But that's hardly enough evidence. Reading the article it sounds to me the evidence that it's him is basically that the writer of the article says "he implicitly admitted to be the creator of Bitcoin"... Is that sufficient evidence in your eyes?

Personally, I think it's flimsy grounds to run such as potentially harmful (to the subject) article. But overall, I'm inclined to believe she might have found the real deal.

(Having said that, I once worked with a journo who ran an 'anonymous street artist Banksy unmasked!' interview only to find that he'd been pranked. Turns out Banksy actually isn't actually a forty-year-old housewife with some crayons.)
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:25:54 PM

And what about the name? Someone who cares so much about privacy uses his real name on the internet? Sounds unbelievable to me.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:28:08 PM

This is all pretty surreal.

So the man that thousands of people have been searching for years was using his, er, real name the whole time?
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:28:27 PM

Why?
Didn't even click the link before posting that. Didn't need to. Having read it now, I second my motion to get rid of this thread.

It doesn't matter if that's the guy. If it isn't, someone is going to get harassed just for having the name he has. If it is, we all owe him. And as for the article itself, he should turn it into a book and sell it. It's certainly long enough and with the right Dan Brown style to make it big. Also invasion of privacy. Something at least some of us are pretty big on, yes?

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
WompRat (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:29:37 PM

A lone hacker geek sitting in some Japanese attic with his Manga collection?

He is not a Manga geek , he is a model train geek.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: