Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:29:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm bored of those recurring news about services closing down  (Read 574 times)
malkusch (OP)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 01:04:53 PM

The story about getting hacked and having to close down is so old, boring and it still happens and obviously will happen in the future. I don't get why those service just can't have a look what banks are doing when they get robbed. There's so much money involved, I can't believe that there's no insurance who doesn't want to get its part of the pie.

Gox is out, OK. But there are still some other services in the game. Maybe some magic fairy might fly to those services and whisper not to waste all resources on security but start negotiations with insurances.

Disclaimer: I don't know in which of those forums this topic is OT. Feel free to move it.
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bitalo_Maciej

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

Lead developer

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 01:31:20 PM

Gox is out, OK. But there are still some other services in the game. Maybe some magic fairy might fly to those services and whisper not to waste all resources on security but start negotiations with insurances.

Not sure if you're being serious or trolling Huh

Any self-respecting insurance company wouldn't give you any product without you having sufficient security in the first place. There's a reason why insurance companies ask you whether you have a spiral staircase in your home, a trampoline, and other "dangerous stuff". They will not risk paying for your lack of caution. The same applies to insurance for bigger institutions.

We have to think about security in the first place. Only then we can start thinking about adding things like insurance on top of that.

Web wallets get hacked all the time. Computer wallets get hacked all the time as well.
Solution? Hybrid P2SH wallets - safer than your online and offline wallets combined. Check it out, store and trade your Bitcoins with ease of mind!
malkusch (OP)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 03:43:26 PM

Any self-respecting insurance company wouldn't give you any product without you having sufficient security in the first place.
Sure, maybe I was a bit too unclear. Of course the services should have implemented security (like banks don't have to be Fort Nox, but still do have some security implementations). But I'm still wondering why there seems to be no communication with the insurance industry. There's IMO enough money involved to build a contract. I'm just imagining how users will react on a service which might not be the cheapest, but covered against hacker theft by an insurance (which implies massive security implementations).
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:02:34 PM

I think that it needs a technology fix.  Especially for entities like exchanges that are supposed to have 100% reserve. 

If you're entrusting someone with your money, as opposed to paying them, then you have a right to expect that they will have that money until you ask for it back.  Well, we have a blockchain.  We ought to be able to prove how much someone has at any moment, provided they publish evidence that they control the coins.  People who entrusted money to them ought to be able to prove that the total amount entrusted to them (and not yet withdrawn or spent) matches the amount they still have. 

It's completely do-able, while maintaining financial privacy for the investors. 

Holy crap, not just for Bitcoin, either.  Think about *ALL* the insolvent banks and the funny business that was going on for years before the crash.  Imagine that those had been detected one day after they started rather than getting worse for years before discovered.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: