Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:59:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2018-09-26] U.S. Judge Sides With CFTC on Virtual Currency Oversight  (Read 98 times)
European Central Bank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 11:40:18 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2018/09/26/business/26reuters-usa-cftc-bitcoin.html

I think the main thing to take away from this is that the legal business is still pretty clueless about how to classify crypto. the judge is saying because this piece of crap in the case has some similarities to bitcoin all of them are commodities so the CTFC has jurisdiction over everything.

it doesn't make a bunch of sense to me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 11:51:41 PM

a few days before CBOE launched bitcoin futures last year, the CFTC sent subpoenas to bitfinex and tether. the consensus at the time---and this seems to be the position taken by the defendant's lawyer---was that the existence of regulated futures markets put bitcoin under the jurisdiction of the CFTC.

this precedent seems to go far beyond that. apparently, anything that can be categorized broadly as a "virtual currency" is now subject to CFTC oversight. 

Crater’s lawyers moved to dismiss the case, arguing that the CFTC had no authority over the virtual currency because it is neither a tangible good nor a service on which future contracts are being traded - the agency’s typical enforcement purview.

U.S. District Judge Rya Zobel in Boston said on Wednesday that My Big Coin did meet the Commodity Exchange Act’s definition of a commodity, because the law defines commodities in broad categories rather than specific types or brands.

Since both My Big Coin and bitcoin can both be broadly categorized as virtual currencies, and bitcoin futures currently trade on U.S. exchanges, by extension the CFTC has oversight of other virtual currencies including My Big Coin, Zobel found.

i'd be curious to see whether this conclusion survives on appeal......

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: