Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:24:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Social Media is cancer  (Read 1189 times)
bluefirecorp_ (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 152

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 11:59:47 PM

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/26/billionaire-la-times-owner-calls-social-media-the-cancer-of-our-time.html

For once, I agree with a billionaire.  Roll Eyes

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Dayarcoel

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 10:05:43 AM

I don't agree with him anyways
boyptc

Activity: 2996
Merit: 680

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 10:18:01 AM

His concern about spread of fake news is a serious problem.

Many netizens are being misinformed and quick in judging if there's an article that came out from a recent incident since its becoming a race of how quick they are in bringing news, so sometimes they lack of credible sources which results to fake news.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
BlockTreeClub

Activity: 69
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 10:20:10 AM

Many netizens are being misinformed and quick in judging if there's an article that came out from a recent incident since its becoming a race of how quick they are in bringing news, so sometimes they lack of credible sources which results to fake news.

yeah, this concern is one that I feel will not be able to be solved for as long as social media is around.
people these days get access to news be it fake or real way too fast for anyone to be able to react.
boyptc

Activity: 2996
Merit: 680

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 11:34:30 AM

yeah, this concern is one that I feel will not be able to be solved for as long as social media is around.
people these days get access to news be it fake or real way too fast for anyone to be able to react.
If ever Soon-Shiong will find a way to eradicate it then he can reach out those social media platforms to address his concern.

I understand his rant about fake news.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Ladysmith

Activity: 179
Merit: 16

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 03:13:06 PM

We live in an era that requires a massive need for disillusionment, I would have to agree with him. People have been used to taking information in very small snippets due to the almost exclusively visual nature of social media.

I also think AI will be able to provide a solution to this problem by deciphering what's real from what's not through fact-checking and examining the entire context of every situation. It could rate information. Who owns the AI that would be responsible for this could potentially make this controversial though.
SkyFlakes

Activity: 307
Merit: 101

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 03:23:54 PM

I agree with this. As for I have experienced and observed, social media can be thought as a cancer. First is that it affects us negatively behaviorally as it sometimes losses our elself confidence or self esteem that will be turned into another problem. Another is that social media is now a source of many fake news. This is somehow toxic tp be seen as people are easily catch by this. Thus, it is indeed that social media nowadays can be considered to be as a cancer.

﹏﹏﹋﹌﹌ WPP ENERGY ﹌﹌﹋﹏﹏
☆═══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═══☆
≈ WORLD POWER PRODUCTION ≈

【 BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN 】
☆═━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═☆
Jimbable

Activity: 115
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 08:04:03 PM

Many technological billionaires do, in fact, prevent their children to spend too much time in SN. Why? Because they clearly realize the harm that social networks do to you.
yoseph

Activity: 868
Merit: 266

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 11:51:22 PM

Fake news is the bane of Social Media, because it causes a lot of problems and it can be used to cause so much hate and violence. They can incite people to do the most horrible things. There should be a way to filter fake news from social media.
Impulseboy

Activity: 196
Merit: 4

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 01:06:28 AM

Billionaire Patrick Soon-Shiong on Wednesday advocated for a change in how people consume news on social media, calling misinformation and how it's spread the "cancer of our time."

While I agree Social Media can be toxic, I disagree that the blame should all be put on the consumers. If any, those who work in the news and entertainment news media have a bigger role to play in spreading fake news across the internet. If every news outlet only practices responsible journalism, then perhaps fake news will be eliminated or, at the very least, contained.
BlockTreeClub

Activity: 69

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 02:16:50 AM

Billionaire Patrick Soon-Shiong on Wednesday advocated for a change in how people consume news on social media, calling misinformation and how it's spread the "cancer of our time."

While I agree Social Media can be toxic, I disagree that the blame should all be put on the consumers. If any, those who work in the news and entertainment news media have a bigger role to play in spreading fake news across the internet. If every news outlet only practices responsible journalism, then perhaps fake news will be eliminated or, at the very least, contained.

agree with this, but certain news started out from social media before being circulated in an official article and this usually takes less than a day for that article to be released due to the fear of not being the one to have this article.

so yeah, news companies should take more time to verify the source before publishing an article about it though it's not likely to happen anytime soon or even ever.
juragankambing

Activity: 125

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 09:25:56 AM

I disagree with you, because social media is a place and it can be said that the world where we can see and even talk with friends and relatives, social media can tighten the relationship that starts to drift apart due to distance and time zone,
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3070

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2018, 10:44:25 AM
Merited by dbshck (4)

Consider for a second that the majority of the human population are sheep - religion proves this.

They will believe anything they read.

The curious will eventually rise and overtake the gullible. 

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2018, 12:46:59 PM
Merited by dbshck (4)

We live in an era that requires a massive need for disillusionment, I would have to agree with him. People have been used to taking information in very small snippets due to the almost exclusively visual nature of social media.

I also think AI will be able to provide a solution to this problem by deciphering what's real from what's not through fact-checking and examining the entire context of every situation. It could rate information. Who owns the AI that would be responsible for this could potentially make this controversial though.

Or we could forget the "A" and just use the "I". Like people did for thousands of years - with massive blunders along the way of course - but still survived. If someone insists on being uninformed and ignorant there is no AI that could possibly help them. There is somewhat of a problem that these days such ignorant dolts have a better chance to procreate than e.g. 200 years ago but in the long run it will all sort itself out.
Cobbykels

Activity: 29

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 01:17:25 PM

I don't agree with that tho...but I think everyone has his opinion about social media
SnowAugustine

Activity: 140
Merit: 5

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 06:30:29 PM

Social media can be good and bad. Politics-wise, there are politicians and / or governments who use social media to spread fake news and propaganda to its people. This is already happening in countries like the Philippines. https://www.c[Suspicious link removed]m/2018/01/17/facebook-and-fake-news-controversy-in-philippines-around-rappler.html
That said, social media also connects people to do charity work, to revolt, to do business.
Like any other thing in life, it would all depend on how you would use it.
I have already seen some people's comments where they say to prefer to live under a dictatorship and have their freedom limited if that means they would have a "peaceful" life. I think people who say things like this just need a messiah-like person to follow and revere because they do not know how to live their life on their own.
Westinhome

Activity: 1582
Merit: 514

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2018, 10:13:27 PM

Actually they have sometime a social media is cancer just like they always giving some fake news even do it was not true. So some of us are anger about that happen, But sometime also it was a big help for us a social media because we don't know yet on what happen in outside.
anthonytcm

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 29, 2018, 01:03:47 AM
Merited by suchmoon (4)

I think it falls a little bit of in a grey area here. Social media the way it started had SO MUCH potential, but then it had to be made addictive (and guess whose decision that was, hint, not exactly the user's). And on top of that add how our lazy nature made it sooo easy for fake news to spread and exacerbated the problem in ways that we just didn't expect.

Now to answer with my opinion here, I do think that social media has great potential, thing is that as everyone is given "a voice", some people just haven't earned it. Just see how easy it is to spread fake stuff around. I wish there was a way for people to learn how to not fall prey to these tactics and then Social Media would be a different place, but alas no one is taught how to properly "go online".

So yeah, while it is kind of cancer, it is a preventable one.
goldSkylark

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 02:36:51 AM

We cannot eliminate the democracy that social media provides. It would be a bigger scandal if social media was completely wiped out, right? Why not just increase security? AI is progressing now, right? I’ve read it can help filter out fake news.
https://www.decentpropaganda.com/ai-is-bad-news-for-fake-news/
What do you think?
jcojci

Activity: 696
Merit: 112

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 07:56:09 AM

https://www.c[Suspicious link removed]m/2018/09/26/billionaire-la-times-owner-calls-social-media-the-cancer-of-our-time.html

For once, I agree with a billionaire.  Roll Eyes

Yes, I agree with this. Every people can speak for what they want, but they don't think that it's not good to share that something we don't know and not clear so it will make misperception to other people and it's already happening in the social media. Yes, it is like cancer that we need to solve and every people need to be wise when they read something on the other news. But it is difficult to do as we know that every social media gives a free place for their member to update their status with easy. And it's ourselves the duty to prevent for the bad news that comes to us.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: