Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 08:02:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Developers finally actively discussing and testing ProgPow  (Read 608 times)
Coyn (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2018, 12:35:42 PM
Last edit: September 27, 2018, 12:55:37 PM by Coyn
Merited by CjMapope (1)

Are we finally seeing some interest towards ProgPow? One of the main developers of ProgPow has been invited to the Ethereum Core Devs meeting 47 (Friday 28 Sept 2018).

Lets all fight for the best outcome!

Facts:

• Ethereum mining profitability has never been as low as it is now 0.015/0.018 usd/day per 1 mhash. (https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/ethereum-mining_profitability.html#log)
  • Ethereum difficulty has risen this year to extreme highs (as seen with ASICS on networks such as xmr/dash/zcash)
  • POS implementation will take at least one more year. Securing the network right now with POS is just not safe. POW is the better option for the foreseen future. So don't use this as an argument against making the network ASIC resistant.
  • Most of the loyal Ethereum miners are being hit the hardest. Turning their rigs to XMR or even off.
  • ASICS are not better for securing a network compared to GPU. People think an argument against GPU's is that they use more power and ASICS are more efficient. But this argument is invalid. Miners will continue to expand untill they are at their peak power. Whatever the machine. Total Ethereum network power stays the same.
  • A huge part of the Ethereum (mining) community is asking for this hardfork. Only the initial investors (mostly not miners) are being able to vote on this issue? Yes you invested initially in Ethereum, congrats, we are here now supporting the network 24/7. Please, Listen to us.

https://github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum/pull/17731
https://github.com/ethereum/pm/issues/58
https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/9jcehr/developers_finally_actively_discussing_and/
Xazax310

Activity: 246
Merit: 24

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 02:20:02 PM

Too late now, last ETH dev meeting no one seemed to care about any change. They'll find out when they're "Secure" network drops insanely and starts suffering 51% attacks, exchanges are not going to be happy.
Coyn (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2018, 02:31:08 PM

We have the time untill october 30th, I don't see why this should be impossible to implement. The dev's also know this.
dhmctrader

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 02:55:51 PM

ProgPow seems to be pretty power hungry. Have tried it on BCI.
Iamtutut

Activity: 1120
Merit: 131

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 02:59:43 PM

ProgPow seems to be pretty power hungry. Have tried it on BCI.

Not really more than ETASH for the little I tried
nsummy

Activity: 1179

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 04:04:05 PM

Are we finally seeing some interest towards ProgPow? One of the main developers of ProgPow has been invited to the Ethereum Core Devs meeting 47 (Friday 28 Sept 2018).

Facts:

• Ethereum mining profitability has never been as low as it is now 0.015/0.018 usd/day per 1 mhash. (https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/ethereum-mining_profitability.html#log)
  • Ethereum difficulty has risen this year to extreme highs (as seen with ASICS on networks such as xmr/dash/zcash)
  • POS implementation will take at least one more year. Securing the network right now with POS is just not safe. POW is the better option for the foreseen future. So don't use this as an argument against making the network ASIC resistant.
  • Most of the loyal Ethereum miners are being hit the hardest. Turning their rigs to XMR or even off.
  • ASICS are not better for securing a network compared to GPU. People think an argument against GPU's is that they use more power and ASICS are more efficient. But this argument is invalid. Miners will continue to expand untill they are at their peak power. Whatever the machine. Total Ethereum network power stays the same.
  • A huge part of the Ethereum (mining) community is asking for this hardfork. Only the initial investors (mostly not miners) are being able to vote on this issue? Yes you invested initially in Ethereum, congrats, we are here now supporting the network 24/7. Please, Listen to us.

Your "facts" are completely full of contradictions.  You say that difficulty has risen to extreme highs yet then say loyal Ethereum miners are being hit the hardest and leaving. How can hashrate be shooting up yet everyone is leaving?  You also gloss over the drop in profitability.  The loss of profitability isn't because of the algo;  Its not hard to see that hashrate has doubled since this time last year, and the value has been cut in half.  Not to mention block rewards decreasing.  I have yet to see any proof of these ASICs.  There is the Bitmain E3 that is slightly cheaper than 3 1080tis and has slightly better power consumption, hardly a game changer.  People who think changing the algo on Ethereum will be a silver bullet are sadly mistaken.  It won't make the hashrate drop and it won't increase the price.
Coyn (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2018, 04:11:13 PM

Facts:

Your "facts" are completely full of contradictions.  You say that difficulty has risen to extreme highs yet then say loyal Ethereum miners are being hit the hardest and leaving. How can hashrate be shooting up yet everyone is leaving?  You also gloss over the drop in profitability.  The loss of profitability isn't because of the algo;  Its not hard to see that hashrate has doubled since this time last year, and the value has been cut in half.  Not to mention block rewards decreasing.  I have yet to see any proof of these ASICs.  There is the Bitmain E3 that is slightly cheaper than 3 1080tis and has slightly better power consumption, hardly a game changer.  People who think changing the algo on Ethereum will be a silver bullet are sadly mistaken.  It won't make the hashrate drop and it won't increase the price.

The difficulty has risen to extremes, the network was doubled in just 2 months (see: december-february https://etherscan.io/chart/difficulty)
Loyal (small) ethereum miners are being hit the hardest, and leaving. You only can't see that directly because you dont know what machines are comming online at the same time.
The loss also ofcourse has to do with the pricing!

Pleas remember this. Back when the (XMR) Monero developers forked their coin for comming asics, they hashrate dropped by 60% and stayed there. (https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/monero-difficulty.html)

The fact is, you don't exactly know how many ASICs are mining on Ethereum now. But that is another discussion. Fix it before it is too late.

But we agree on the price. ProgPow wouldn't affect the price of Ethereum.
crairezx20
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 07:36:39 PM

ProgPow algo is new and based on my experience using this algo its fine with Nvidia cards.

Ethereum right now is going to 3rd rank crypto in CMC which I think it would be hard for ethereum to recover this position unless if they become a ASIC resistant but like the other said it's impossible to happen.
Dutchminer91

Activity: 4

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 11:07:33 PM

I think we should not forget that IF one day some Entity or Government tries to stop Crypto because it has gotten out of control,  than it would be SO easy to track ASIC farms , Networks (aka Crypto's) would get rekt. We should continue striving for GPU's to do our voting so there will always be people all over the globe securing the network!

This is one of the main reasons why most of us joined Crypto in the first place. Decentralized remember guys?

crypto-hype

Activity: 3

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 11:15:47 PM

I think we should not forget that IF one day some Entity or Government tries to stop Crypto because it has gotten out of control,  than it would be SO easy to track ASIC farms , Networks (aka Crypto's) would get rekt. We should continue striving for GPU's to do our voting so there will always be people all over the globe securing the network!

This is one of the main reasons why most of us joined Crypto in the first place. Decentralized remember guys?

absolutely

1gpu = 1 vote
Dutchminer91

Activity: 4

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 11:24:23 PM

Is this you Satoshi?   Cheesy
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 01:20:24 AM

absolutely

1gpu = 1 vote

1 vote!! vivia la gpu!!
MinedTangerine

Activity: 308
Merit: 4

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 05:44:39 AM

Don't worry people GPUs are here to stay, I have been saying this for some time despite all the negativity and FPGA and ASICs hype.
They have many use cases outside pure hashing. New markets for them are emerging and algos like ProgPoW will give them new life.
And we also have XMR devs which I admire for their dedication.

SUQA - A new open source peer to peer digital currency
 (https://suqa.org/)
Marvell2

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 08:02:29 AM

Don't worry people GPUs are here to stay, I have been saying this for some time despite all the negativity and FPGA and ASICs hype.
They have many use cases outside pure hashing. New markets for them are emerging and algos like ProgPoW will give them new life.
And we also have XMR devs which I admire for their dedication.

Yeah fluffly and the xmr devs are a model to follow
mak013

Activity: 2380
Merit: 756

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 06:36:11 PM

So, okey. Lets ETH would begun the true profitable coin with this new algo. What we`ll see 1-2 weeks later? All the miners that now are mining another coins would go to mine ETH. So, difficulty grows tothemoon, profit becomes as usial, miners coming back to their coins.
There are really huge amount of cards now. And miners becomes clever and clever. They mine profitable coins and swap coins then its necessary.
New algo cant change anything.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████▄▄██▄▄
████████████████████▄▄
░████▄▄████████████████
░█████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀██▀
█████████████████░▄██▄
████████████████░░▀██▀
███████████████
███████████
██████████
█████████
████████
██████████
abstractHaze

Activity: 106

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 07:36:54 PM

So, okey. Lets ETH would begun the true profitable coin with this new algo. What we`ll see 1-2 weeks later? All the miners that now are mining another coins would go to mine ETH. So, difficulty grows tothemoon, profit becomes as usial, miners coming back to their coins.
There are really huge amount of cards now. And miners becomes clever and clever. They mine profitable coins and swap coins then its necessary.

not everyone wants to change coins every week because some asshat doesn't want to actually work.

from what im seeing.. time to take notes. and will watch the shitstorm unfold.

keep in mind when buddy went to russia, 300k eth changed hands. these guys up to funny money business. ... watch a lot of weak hands get out.

problem is u hold .. may be lead in the end. if not it will be gold. so it's the gamble... but when devs don't do there work and people are saying shit with no good real response. fuck em.
Marvell2

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 10:00:07 PM

You make no sense , if eth beomes profitable again due to half the hash removed as asics are kicked that affects and increses the profitablity of ALL coins. 

hash that comes back to ether is removed from other algos and coins which drops the hashrate there and with constant price more profit.

now if you had said all gpus will flee other algos due to the fpga and asic sccorge I would have given more credibity.

I can tell you this when eth forks other algos will fork too to stronger anti asic anti fpga algos so its a positive trend in either case
nsummy

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 05:30:37 AM

Facts:

Your "facts" are completely full of contradictions.  You say that difficulty has risen to extreme highs yet then say loyal Ethereum miners are being hit the hardest and leaving. How can hashrate be shooting up yet everyone is leaving?  You also gloss over the drop in profitability.  The loss of profitability isn't because of the algo;  Its not hard to see that hashrate has doubled since this time last year, and the value has been cut in half.  Not to mention block rewards decreasing.  I have yet to see any proof of these ASICs.  There is the Bitmain E3 that is slightly cheaper than 3 1080tis and has slightly better power consumption, hardly a game changer.  People who think changing the algo on Ethereum will be a silver bullet are sadly mistaken.  It won't make the hashrate drop and it won't increase the price.

The difficulty has risen to extremes, the network was doubled in just 2 months (see: december-february https://etherscan.io/chart/difficulty)
Loyal (small) ethereum miners are being hit the hardest, and leaving. You only can't see that directly because you dont know what machines are comming online at the same time.
The loss also ofcourse has to do with the pricing!

Pleas remember this. Back when the (XMR) Monero developers forked their coin for comming asics, they hashrate dropped by 60% and stayed there. (https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/monero-difficulty.html)

The fact is, you don't exactly know how many ASICs are mining on Ethereum now. But that is another discussion. Fix it before it is too late.

But we agree on the price. ProgPow wouldn't affect the price of Ethereum.

Average difficulty for October 13, 2017:  31031.012
Average difficulty for February 28, 2018:  3052.568

Am I missing something here?  Doubled in 2 months?  Think about it next time you cherry pick your stats.  To be quite frank, I don't care how many alleged asics there are mining ETH.  I'm sure it pales in comparison to the 1000 GPU farms out there mining it.
nsummy

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 05:33:39 AM

You make no sense , if eth beomes profitable again due to half the hash removed as asics are kicked that affects and increses the profitablity of ALL coins. 

hash that comes back to ether is removed from other algos and coins which drops the hashrate there and with constant price more profit.

now if you had said all gpus will flee other algos due to the fpga and asic sccorge I would have given more credibity.

I can tell you this when eth forks other algos will fork too to stronger anti asic anti fpga algos so its a positive trend in either case

Where exactly is the proof that there are a bunch of asics out there:  https://etherscan.io/chart/hashrate

Hashrate pretty much increased with the price of the coin.
nsummy

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 05:36:13 AM

LOLOLOL  That is like saying that everyone should have a few marijuana plants in their house because if the government(s) ever tried to crack down on weed (or insert drug of choice), "it would be SO easy to track farms."
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: