Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:54:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Found a block of metal....what could it be?  (Read 168 times)
Haliburton (OP)

Activity: 502
Merit: 118

Liberated Forever. Domesticated Never.

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 05:43:56 PM
Last edit: September 27, 2018, 06:43:04 PM by Haliburton

I've just found a heavy block of metal lying around college, and I decided to take it home. Upon scratching it, I've noticed that it was a little dirty, as I once thought that it was oxidized.

Below are the pictures of it:

I'm a little curious to know for what is this block of metal used for and which material it is composed of? Could it be silver, nickel, or steel? As far as I know, it cannot be steel because the magnet I've placed into it did not get attached. But as for the other metals, I don't know how to test the block to determine whenever it is silver, sterling silver, nickel, or any other metal.

What do you think about it? Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jimbable

Activity: 115
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 08:12:33 PM

This is probably ceiling block.
bluefirecorp_

Activity: 574
Merit: 152

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 11:43:35 PM

The rings look like welds. Any chance the school has a mechanical/wedding class?

Could be like a practice block to get those perfect dimes welds.

Haliburton (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 07:17:59 PM

The rings look like welds. Any chance the school has a mechanical/wedding class?

Could be like a practice block to get those perfect dimes welds.

Nope. My college doesn't have a mechanical/wedding class as far as I'm aware. But, this block I've found it way on the back where there's extra parking on campus. It's a little odd due to its design, but I've found out that it's not steel simply because it doesn't get attached to a magnet. Still, it's quite heavy which could mean it's either silver, aluminum (very unlikely), or titanium.

Perhaps, some tests need to be done to help determine what kind of metal is it. Don't you think?  Roll Eyes

I think this is just a piece of rubbish. It is not worth any money, but it looks pretty afterall. You may use it to decorate your home.

Lol. It could not be worth anything at all, or it could be worth a fortune. If it's silver, then I could get a couple of bucks for it. But if it's aluminum, then I'd get less money but enough to buy something at Burger King.  Grin

jcriss

Activity: 171
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 28, 2018, 07:25:05 PM

As I'm a gold panner, we would need more details. actual size length, thickness, width, and weight would give more of a clue to density make up when doing specific gravity test

MERCATOX  [s (https://mercatox.com?referrer=328710)
Haliburton (OP)

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 04:32:00 PM

As I'm a gold panner, we would need more details. actual size length, thickness, width, and weight would give more of a clue to density make up when doing specific gravity test

I was able to measure the length and thickness of the block. But, I cannot determine the weight since I don't have a scale to measure it. The one I have has a capacity of 1000g, which cannot read the weight measurements for the block.

Will the details obtained suffice? Below, are the pictures showing the measurements:

I would appreciate any help with this as I'm curious to know what kind of metal is this block composed of.  Smiley

bluefirecorp_

Activity: 574
Merit: 152

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 02:25:40 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/whatisthisthing/

Haliburton (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 07:14:44 PM

Thanks. I'll check it out to see if I could find information about this mysterious block of metal. All in all, if anyone else has any other ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Wink

MP_SI
Copper Member

Activity: 70

Tell the truth – or, at least, don't lie!

View Profile
October 06, 2018, 11:26:19 AM

It looks like regular iron bar with zinc coating. So it is corrosion resistant and this is a + Smiley
piepie.asean

Activity: 70

View Profile
October 06, 2018, 11:35:30 AM

This may be precious metals, it is not gold, but may be rare metals, I see patterns on the metal, which means it is sculpted very finely. This is definitely a valuable metal
Haliburton (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2018, 04:53:58 PM

It looks like regular iron bar with zinc coating. So it is corrosion resistant and this is a + Smiley

Could be. It'll be highly unlikely that it's silver due to its weight and design. Which could mean that it's some sort of metal that's coated with another metal. Iron could fit the bill quite nicely, but I'm not sure if the coating would be exactly zinc. Maybe, it's covered in nickel? Anyways, I think I should give this to an expert to help me determine its composition.  Undecided

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: