Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:03:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: is it worth investing in asic miner?  (Read 2460 times)
Degolep (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:51:52 PM

So i'm thinking of getting a AntMiner S1 since the price is curently really affordable but the question is is it worth it in long term?

I'm thinking of 2 plans if its worth it:

1. Mining alt-SHA265 since the maza coin boom i've also rented a few rigs and got myself a few thousand maza coins in past few days. But the network HS has skyrocketed and soon it probobly won't be so profitable to mine maza coin anymore. Are there any other profitable sha256 coins to mine?

2. After buying my miner I would start renting it.

Or am I too late for any of this?
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:37:42 PM

If you can get the asic miner before others do, then go for it.
If you can't, it will be very difficult for you to even break even.
Go for scrypt, although most altcoins are under ltc now...
Degolep (OP)

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:01:01 PM

Well i could probobly get it sometime next week. Ive already got a 3gh/s scrypt miner
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 06:54:42 PM

So i'm thinking of getting a AntMiner S1 since the price is curently really affordable but the question is is it worth it in long term?

1. Mining alt-SHA265 since the maza coin boom i've also rented a few rigs and got myself a few thousand maza coins in past few days. But the network HS has skyrocketed and soon it probobly won't be so profitable to mine maza coin anymore. Are there any other profitable sha256 coins to mine?

Never heard of maza, seems like there is a new coin every minute. You would probably make more mining with it than renting it out.  There are lots of people having issue with the rental sites, so downtime may cost you in the long run. Plus you run the risk of someone making off with your rental fees, so be careful.
Jayjay04
Legendary

Activity: 1364
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 07:11:09 PM

If you go for scrypt you should try this cloud mining service.
Instant delivery Wink and payment in bitcoins, so no trading to do.

http://scrypt.cc?ref=baars

▄▄▄
                   █████
             ▄▄▄    ▀▀▀       ▄▄████╕
            █████          ▄▄███████▌
     ▄▄▄     ▀▀▀        ╓████████▀▀
    █████               ██████▀▀       ▄███▄
     ▀▀▀        ▄███▄    ▀▀▀           ▀███▀
                ▀███▀        ▄▄████╕
       ▁▄▄███▄           ▄▄████████▌
   ▁▄▆████████       ▄▄█████████▀▀       ▄███▄
 ▄█████████▀▔    ▄▄█████████▀▀           ▀███▀
▐██████▀▀▔   ,▄█████████▀▀        ▄▄▄
 ▔▀▀▀▔    ▄▄████████▀▀           █████
      ▄▄████████▀▀       ▄▄██▄    ▀▀▀
   ▄█████████▀       ▄▄███████▌       ▄▄▄
  ▐██████▀▀      ▄▄█████████▀▔       █████
   `▀▀▀      ▂▄█████████▀▀    ,▄▄µ    ▀▀▀
          ▂▆████████▀▀    ,▄██████▌
          ██████▀▀     ▄█████████▀
           ▔▀▀        ███████▀"
                      "▀▀▀╙
Hello!
STAKER
.The Next Proof-of-Stake.
KSmart Contract Tokene.

minereu.com

Activity: 244
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 09:36:25 PM

SHA256 ASIC miner, late to play this game.
Scrypt CPU/GPU miner, difficult to make good return.
Scrypt ASIC miner, can still make decent return.

MinerEU.com A2BOX(84M) A2MINI(28M) in stock and ready to ship out.  This is not a pre-order and we do not do pre-order
differential350

Activity: 199

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:37:19 PM

cloud seems to work better
futurescoin

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:02:55 AM

Antminer might not be worth the money. Maybe for altcoins though!
0150r

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 01:38:35 AM

The Scrypt ASIC's I've seen cost more per KHash/s than GPU's. The trade off, I guess, is power/heat.
vnhyp0

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 02:03:43 AM

I think that an S1 is a wise choice if you do plan to invest in an ASIC, as they are reliable and seem to run well even in warm ambient environments, further, the difficulty increases have been relatively low, and the upcoming change looks to be about 12% only. You could mine with it for a month or two and resell it, with a good chance of making a profit after combining the mining revenue with resell revenue.

You could also rent it out for short contracts once you get it to help alleviate some of the costs and increase your relative profit margin significantly in some cases.

There are some good profitability calculating sites that will tell you the most profitable coin to mine. Here are a few:

http://www.coinchoose.com/
http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency
http://dustcoin.com/
http://www.wheretomine.com/

Good Luck!

QQ: 2228207157
DustyRah

Activity: 530

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 05:01:26 PM

Do a profit simulator at https://coinplorer.com/Hardware/Simulate and you will see that its not profitable and you will lose money on it.

There is almost no way to make money on mining these days the way difficulty is rising exponentially and hardware manufacturers are bending over consumers and shafting them one.
cloverme
Legendary

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 09:57:21 PM

Do a profit simulator at https://coinplorer.com/Hardware/Simulate and you will see that its not profitable and you will lose money on it.

There is almost no way to make money on mining these days the way difficulty is rising exponentially and hardware manufacturers are bending over consumers and shafting them one.

Holy smokes, that simulator is way, way off... I plugged in my real world numbers and none of the returns are correct.

Try using this one: http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/ it's at least in the ballpark.

DustyRah

Activity: 530

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 11:50:02 PM

Holy smokes, that simulator is way, way off... I plugged in my real world numbers and none of the returns are correct.

Try using this one: http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/ it's at least in the ballpark.

The simulator I mentioned takes into account rising difficulty...not just what you will make today.
cloverme
Legendary

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 12:14:58 AM

Yup, I took that into account, it was still wonky. The date picker has a bug too, skips some dates when click the chevrons to up/down the date.  It's an interesting calculator, but it's just not accurate.  To each his own, we all have our favorite tools, no harm/no foul.

vnhyp0

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:03:18 AM

[ You could mine with it for a month or two and resell it, with a good chance of making a profit after combining the mining revenue with resell revenue.

This is the part you forgot to put in your calculator. I do not think many people will consider just sitting on an ASIC that costs more money to run than it earns, and, being an ASIC, it is kinda application specific. Maybe some will keep all their old units for vanity, or recycle them, but I would bet most rational people decide that selling them at some point after mining with them is a wise choice, and usually the most profitable.

QQ: 2228207157
minereu.com

Activity: 244

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 05:00:53 AM

The Scrypt ASIC's I've seen cost more per KHash/s than GPU's. The trade off, I guess, is power/heat.

1. Save on power, yes, for sure.
2. Maybe you have not checked this price: https://minereu.com/product/gridseed-miner/  Grin

MinerEU.com A2BOX(84M) A2MINI(28M) in stock and ready to ship out.  This is not a pre-order and we do not do pre-order
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: