Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:07:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Elliott wave analysis?  (Read 1278 times)
Sargasm (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 02:45:00 AM

Does anyone here do their own elliott wave analysis?

I've been tinkering with it and finding that after a pretty short while, it's reasonably accurate IF you're correctly identifying trends.  For instance, when and which waves to identify and whether to consider them bull or bear (which again has to do with identifying the trend).

Seems to make sense as a method for quantifying the movement of waves as a factor of market psychology.  I'm sure you could lose your shirt acting on it as if it is the holy grail though.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 03:01:05 AM

IMO the Elliott Wave is more like a fancy trendline.

You could also use the Blancmange curve or the Weierstrass function.  
At best one would enumerate all such possible curves and iterate over them until the best match for the existing data is found.

It's just where it's coming from, an Economist not a mathematician why it is so popular among some people, like any fringe. So they all stick with it instead looking for something that would result in a more systematic approach. Wink

A major critique point is that any wave theory now lacks an indicator of it's reliability over time, that would be the most important improvement so you can hedge your risk accordingly.

But in the end, breakout from a stable condition is a non-linear phenomena and thus inherently prone to chaos.
To put this into perspective: A trade of just 0.1 btc at a certain point can result in the market shoot up 20% or drop 30% one second later.
Sargasm (OP)

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 03:06:10 AM
Last edit: October 31, 2011, 04:18:47 AM by Sargasm

That's kind of what I've been using it for.  Right now I'm hedging about 50% on any bull or bear trends I see and I'm coming out ahead a few percent over a couple dozen trades.  

That could easily be dumb luck given that my perspective is only a couple weeks of trading on speculation.

I don't intend to speculate for the long term, if I feel that trend is stabilized I intend to stay in BTC as a hedge against inflation with USD.  In the short run, I'm just allowing this to instruct me in investment devices that up until recently, I was completely ignorant on.

Don't have to be no accredited investor to lose all your money in BTC!

[edit] misspelled lose.  like a rockstar.
Sargasm (OP)

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 03:12:00 AM

Also... watching the delta of bid volume on mt. gox seems like a fantastically effective short term predictor of price volatility.  Seems like the bid volume could couple with trade data to provide far far better insight into market changes by offering a lead on buyer psychology instantaneously.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 07:24:40 AM

I am using standard technical indicators and Elliott wave analysis successfully for bitcoin as well as stocks and metal forecasts.

I.e. I just published a stock market chart indicating that we are likely in a third of a third wave down which is usually the strongest.

http://www.bitcoinbullbear.com/stocks-metals-etc.html

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 11:47:20 AM

I use this graph:

_/\_   /\    _
      \/   \/

It has been accurate so far.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Sargasm (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 02:47:46 PM

I use this graph:

_/\_   /\    _
      \/   \/

It has been accurate so far.

Has the nobel committee been notified?
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 09:12:44 PM

Fantastic. We should call this the "ELWAR WAVE THEORY" :-)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: