Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:27:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you get namecoin running?  (Read 2082 times)
jjshabadoo (OP)

Activity: 535
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 04:58:50 AM

I have tried everything and can't get it to run so I can get a wallet. It's pissing me off because I can't do any merged mining.

every time I get to the cmd prompt, it says namecoind.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, batch file or operable program..
Thanks in advance for any help

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
silverfuture
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1008

central banking = outdated protocol

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 06:31:01 AM

Haven't set it up in windows but i remember having to create the wallet.dat file. Make sure you don't confuse it with your bitcoin wallet.  Shocked

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NastyFans - The Fan Club for Bitcoin Enthusiasts | MININGCOINS | POOL | ESCROW
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 06:36:12 AM

Just download all the files at say c:\namecoin, then run namecoind , let the blocks download, you can open another command prompt and check using namecoind getinfo
finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 06:37:40 AM

you need a bitcoin.conf with one line:

rpcpassword=aa

silverfuture
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 06:51:23 AM

oh yeah, that's right, bitcoin.conf not wallet.dat.   

disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 11:47:57 AM

rpcpassword=aa really? that is all?

I registered for .bit domain and put my pw information of the domain in the conf. file, and then changed my DNS info in windows to one recommended in one of the links given by slush.

There are a few things that can go wrong though in which case you won't even get namecoind.exe to start. First mistake is you create a conf.dat and end up with a conf.dat.txt. Many users don't know that you need to save your file using quotation marks -> "conf.dat"

I also like the trick of creating temporary NMC addresses at bitparking and put those into your pool. They will always be good for only one transaction though and you have a limited time window to receive a transaction.

I have another question for you guys: Now that the market is flooded by countless namecoins people are trading in for Btc, do you think it is a good idea to save up namecoins and sell them possibly much later? Or will the price go down even further and stay low?

I'm guessing with rising difficulty, namecoins will be mined much slower, which will help the price to recover in the long run.
silverfuture
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 05:40:17 PM

It seems likely that namecoin will be accepted as a valid alternate/complementary blockchain. Merged mining and the utility factor for DNS will make them a sought after commodity in light of attempts for internet censorship.  Mining difficulty, like with BTC, will not be the determining factor for value.

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2011, 03:33:51 PM

I have tried everything and can't get it to run so I can get a wallet. It's pissing me off because I can't do any merged mining.

every time I get to the cmd prompt, it says namecoind.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, batch file or operable program..
Thanks in advance for any help

The name of the program is namecoin.exe. It runs as a daemon, but the name doesn't have a d in it. When you run it the first time it generates a wallet and address for you. Then you need to access it through a second command window. Instructions'R'Here
stefsom

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 05:14:22 PM

Hi,
If namecoin is too difficult to use you can downloadhttp://www.reddit.com/r/namecoingui/comments/l817u/namecoingui/namecoin gui.
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 11:26:05 PM

How safe is it to use a gui that someone wrote? Although I'd love to have a gui, i'd wait for some officially announced version and stick to the cmd for now. And for me, it's called namecoind.exe. I do run the latest update and everything works just fine. It's pretty easy to send coins to bitparking. It's just not worth doing really right now, with such low prices. No way I'm going to sell for 0.01xxx

run: cmd
cd..
cd..
cd...nmc
namecoind.exe

run new cmd

cd..
cd..
cd nmc
namecoind getinfo

namecoind sendtoaddress Nxxxxxxxxxxx 10.7565659 tada!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: