Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:29:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone emailed me my linked in password today and asking for Bitcoins?  (Read 310 times)
BTC Turkiye (OP)

Activity: 472
Merit: 254

Anlik Coin Fiyatlari BTCkur.com

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2018, 09:08:13 PM

Today I received the below email which has my linked in password correct but because I use different passwords everywhere and always put a magnet over my webcam, they don`t have anything else for sure.

However, I still wanted to let the community know that linked in somehow, sometime got hacked and leaked the passwords.

So once again, Fuck centralized systems that keeps your personal data insecurely

"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1587

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
September 30, 2018, 09:56:08 PM

Today I received the below email which has my linked in password correct but because I use different passwords everywhere and always put a magnet over my webcam, they don`t have anything else for sure.

Hi, I think I can give you good advice on this case and help you catch the scammer. Please send me all those videos of nasty sexual behavior, I am sure the key is hidden in file. Send me also your user, password and the link to the sexual content site.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
BTC Turkiye (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2018, 09:58:06 PM

Hi, I think I can give you good advice on this case and help you catch the scammer. Please send me all those videos of nasty sexual behavior, I am sure the key is hidden in file. Send me also your user, password and the link to the sexual content site.

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Sure. How about I`ll record a special one for you and send that one?   Cheesy
Instely

Activity: 56
Merit: 9

View Profile
September 30, 2018, 10:46:07 PM

Good for you that anyone will see your nasty sexual behaviors Grin jk.
All I can recommend you is to use KeePass as it offers you generate passwords that are pretty much impossible to decypher with bruteforce method,
also it keeps all passwords encrypted and you won't need to remember any of those because it stores every password you have.
I was seeing one case very similar to this one, used the block explorer to watch the transactions done with that account and sadly, there were some people who fell in that scam.
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1587

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 08:17:51 PM
Last edit: October 14, 2018, 09:03:07 PM by paxmao

Sure. How about I`ll record a special one for you and send that one?   Cheesy

How bad is it?

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 06:07:03 AM

It's old news now. The person got your password off of one or more sites that post leaked passwords. They don't have access to your webcam. They might have access to accounts on other sites if your passwords are the same. Ignore the email and change your passwords.
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 07:31:32 PM

I've been receiving such e-mails too for a while, with the very same threat of leaking private videos; BUT, the good thing is, I've never been involved in cams and such stuff, so I'm not afraid at all. Grin
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 06, 2018, 01:37:39 PM

However, I still wanted to let the community know that linked in somehow, sometime got hacked and leaked the passwords.

So once again, Fuck centralized systems that keeps your personal data insecurely

This email scam has been going around for several years.
BTC Turkiye (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2018, 06:56:06 PM

IT didn`t hurt me at all and I didn`t lose anything to these people but I wanted to post here for the benefit this community, in case someone didnt sse it before or something
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2301

View Profile
October 06, 2018, 09:48:10 PM

Has anyone ever told you that the word "gullible" is written on the ceiling? Did you look?

Your password was leaked from one of many hacks, and was likely sent to the same email address associated with your linkedin(?) account -- or whatever account password they sent you.

I would be more concerned if they could tell you your new password immidiately after you changed it, however this would still not be concrete proof of anything.

I would suggest either ignoring the email or sending a token amount to the address so that Law enforcement will have an easier time tracking down this person/group.
Lucasgabd
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1119

There's no need to be upset

View Profile
October 13, 2018, 01:09:17 PM

this is a known scam attempt at this moment.

you can always check if your accounts have been powned in this website

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

if any of your accounts have leaked passwords change it for more secure ones imediately and/or use a password manager.
Elexsis

Activity: 378
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 14, 2018, 02:38:25 AM

IT didn`t hurt me at all and I didn`t lose anything to these people but I wanted to post here for the benefit this community, in case someone didnt sse it before or something
It may help for those people who aren't actually aware about this kind of scammers. I've also received some emails which is similar as what you have posted but I just don't mind them after I read their platform.
Strufmbae

Activity: 486
Merit: 27

HIRE ME FOR SMALL TASK

View Profile
October 14, 2018, 03:48:10 PM

Maybe you have logged in into a phishing link that's why they have your private datas' , but pro's like you can't fall into that pit.  
timmydakolo2

Activity: 225
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2018, 10:15:25 PM

One need to be extremely careful now adays mind the kind of information you give out to Exchangers definitely they are most of the reason wey get all this hacking they send out our details.
timmydakolo2

Activity: 225
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2018, 10:18:13 PM

Maybe you have logged in into a phishing link that's why they have your private datas' , but pro's like you can't fall into that pit.  

Definitely he might have some time login a phishing website that gets to look like the one he always login without looking to see if it's the real website. Is good to Cross check website that you know your funds are in them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: