Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 06:19:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Temperature differences between video cards RX Nitro 480  (Read 150 times)
velma (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 04:16:47 PM

I have six Nitro RX 480s with temperatures of 75 66 71 70 63 63. I have a 20 inch box and blowing on them. Otherwise, they would be hotter temps.

These all have the BIOS mod, which has made them warmer. Before the BIOS mod, I just had cards 1 through  three running on the rig in another room and they were all in the 56° level.

I reapplied the thermal paste on card number three, which it needed, but not sure that it made any difference.

Is there any reason why some of these cards run hotter? Is there a way to get them to cool down?

Since card number two is running at 66°, I don't really think it's an issue with where they are sitting on the rig. As cards number one and three are surrounding card number two.
huntingthesnark

Activity: 357
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2018, 04:21:09 PM

I'd set about undervolting if I were you, those temps are pretty high. I always get one gpu that's hotter than the others too, but personally try and keep em averaging below 65ish.

For the latest Crypto news and alts info check out https://coinsjar.info/
ciprianpt

Activity: 127
Merit: 8

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2018, 05:42:54 PM

I have six Nitro RX 480s with temperatures of 75 66 71 70 63 63. I have a 20 inch box and blowing on them. Otherwise, they would be hotter temps.

These all have the BIOS mod, which has made them warmer. Before the BIOS mod, I just had cards 1 through  three running on the rig in another room and they were all in the 56° level.

I reapplied the thermal paste on card number three, which it needed, but not sure that it made any difference.

Is there any reason why some of these cards run hotter? Is there a way to get them to cool down?

Since card number two is running at 66°, I don't really think it's an issue with where they are sitting on the rig. As cards number one and three are surrounding card number two.

Have you applied any undervolt ? What is the fan speed set?

https://1stMiningRig.com - Just Another Mining Blog Smiley
P00P135

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 06:15:21 PM

These all have the BIOS mod, which has made them warmer. Before the BIOS mod, I just had cards 1 through  three running on the rig in another room and they were all in the 56° level.

If you have the GPU's too close together they will suck the super hot air from the backplate of the card in front of it which can lead to higher temps.
velma (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 06:48:21 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2018, 07:59:17 PM by velma

I changed the core undervolt to 950 with minimum fan speed at 75%, but two of the cards are still at 72° and 74° while the rest are mid-sixties. It did not change anything.

I really don't have to take the bios mod off, because that's why I got them.

EDIT: Well I change the BIOS mod back to stock on the hot card and it is still running hot. I didn't think that would help, but trying to rule things out. I guess I will try moving this card to another spot and see if that's the culprit. It's running 75 65 65 with just three cards in.

I have four cards of the bottom into on top. Cards one and three are running hot.

Does changing thermal paste help reduce temperatures? I would think that it would.
ciprianpt

Activity: 127
Merit: 8

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2018, 07:58:07 PM

I changed the core undervolt to 950 with minimum fan speed at 75%, but two of the cards are still at 72° and 74° while the rest are mid-sixties. It did not change anything.

I really don't have to take the bios mod off, because that's why I got them.

You can go with core undervolt to 850 and mem undervolt to 900, if you use claymore add this commands -tt 60 -fanmin 35 -fanmax 100

https://1stMiningRig.com - Just Another Mining Blog Smiley
imine2

Activity: 98
Merit: 4

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 02:25:18 AM

can you have your cards like this:

/   /   /
 /   /   /

If not:

set max temp where you feel comfy:

Have them run slower

take them up a notch at a time and see that temp ok.

du you only push air onto them or also pull air with fans ?

You need to remove the amount of air that is being heated every second so
run them cooler and slower and find their sweetspots.

AND every single card can have it's own sweetspot when it comes to exact frequence and voltage if you want OPTIMAL performace/temp and temp equals power usage !

good luck!
velma (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 06:04:32 AM

I have an RGB controller coming so that I can control the fans  that will pull the heat away. Right now they are not hooked up. Hopefully, that will help.

I'm using SMOS. I tried to undervolt the core to 850, but it would not work. I'm trying it at 900 now, but that one card is still going up to 72°.The Powerstage  setting will  change the wattage, but I've not messed with that yet.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 06:12:42 AM

Its normal to have usually 1 GPU or 2 which have a much higher temperature than the others. Usually the GPU in front will be the coolest and the GPU which is located in the middle will be the hottest.

This mostly is due to how close the GPUs are in relation to one another.

Another reason can be whether the GPU has a backplate or not. If it has a backplate it usually runs hotter because the backplate traps the heat, however the GPU behind it will run much cooler.

Hence its usually wise to put a GPU with a backplate in front of all the other GPUs.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: