Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 07:21:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sia PoW Reset - They are finally bricking all asic miners  (Read 1173 times)
nsummy (OP)

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 07:51:02 PM

https://blog.sia.tech/sia-proof-of-work-reset-24b5ec439625

This ought to be interesting
MinedTangerine

Activity: 308
Merit: 4

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 07:54:07 PM

Comming from the guys who were all PRO asics. I could not care less. For me projects like that don't exist.
Basically they are douchebags going where the wind blows.

It will be interesting to see all the ASICs and their companies slowly burning Smiley

Also that:

The core developers ultimately decided against forking. We don’t view blockchains as a democracy, we view them as a source of stability. We like decentralization because it prevents groups outside of our control from making decisions that we don’t like. Decentralization is valuable because there is nobody in control, and we weren’t comfortable releasing an update that threatened to rip the community in half.

Is a really weird statement for a crypto project.

SUQA - A new open source peer to peer digital currency
 (https://suqa.org/)
nsummy (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 08:00:04 PM

Comming from the guys who were all PRO asics. I could not care less. For me projects like that don't exist.

It was an interesting read for about the first 6-7 paragraphs, just to see what their thought process was, but it quickly devolved into a shitload of fluff that tried to put lipstick on a pig.  A few of my favorite quotes:

"In parallel and in secret, two larger manufacturers also began development of ASICs for Sia. The first one, Bitmain, did not announce their product until 10 days before shipping, effectively disrupting a multi-million dollar project from the community without warning and nearly causing a civil war."

"And indeed, Innosilicon is Sia’s largest miner, mining a stable 37.5% of the Sia hashrate."   (meaning 62.5% of the hashrate is coming from other companies!)

"For the Sia network, an important line was crossed when secret ASIC projects superseded a public project that had substantial community investment. Though the Obelisk project got a few things wrong, largely Obelisk went about ASIC development and manufacturing in the right way."

"Sia is forking today to reprimand the current ASIC monopoly for the damage it did to the Sia community, to make whole the supporters of Sia’s community ASIC project, and to send a clear message to all future Sia ASIC manufacturers: we will not tolerate an abusive ASIC monopoly."

"In the short term, this is a step backwards for Sia’s security. The hashrate will decrease substantially, which means our security margin against an attacker will be lower. In the long term, this sets the stage for a healthy mining community and a higher overall difficulty. We fully expect that the 28nm Obelisk ASICs will be replaced by a 16nm chip from another manufacturer, who will become the new manufacturing monopoly for Sia."
MinedTangerine

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 08:07:28 PM

Also their product is one of the worst ever I have tried. At least it was few months back. Horrible user experience.

Tailgunner

Activity: 81
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 08:37:27 PM

So this is basically a last ditch effort to make their dead on arrival obelisk miner relevant?
MinedTangerine

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 08:53:47 PM

It was an interesting read for about the first 6-7 paragraphs, just to see what their thought process was, but it quickly devolved into a shitload of fluff that tried to put lipstick on a pig.  A few of my favorite quotes:

"In parallel and in secret, two larger manufacturers also began development of ASICs for Sia. The first one, Bitmain, did not announce their product until 10 days before shipping, effectively disrupting a multi-million dollar project from the community without warning and nearly causing a civil war."

"And indeed, Innosilicon is Sia’s largest miner, mining a stable 37.5% of the Sia hashrate."   (meaning 62.5% of the hashrate is coming from other companies!)

"For the Sia network, an important line was crossed when secret ASIC projects superseded a public project that had substantial community investment. Though the Obelisk project got a few things wrong, largely Obelisk went about ASIC development and manufacturing in the right way."

"Sia is forking today to reprimand the current ASIC monopoly for the damage it did to the Sia community, to make whole the supporters of Sia’s community ASIC project, and to send a clear message to all future Sia ASIC manufacturers: we will not tolerate an abusive ASIC monopoly."

"In the short term, this is a step backwards for Sia’s security. The hashrate will decrease substantially, which means our security margin against an attacker will be lower. In the long term, this sets the stage for a healthy mining community and a higher overall difficulty. We fully expect that the 28nm Obelisk ASICs will be replaced by a 16nm chip from another manufacturer, who will become the new manufacturing monopoly for Sia."

Yes good catch. There is so much crap in that article, basically apologetic nonsense to give their PRO asic views some legitimate background. Oh well.

Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 10:02:17 PM

It was an interesting read for about the first 6-7 paragraphs, just to see what their thought process was, but it quickly devolved into a shitload of fluff that tried to put lipstick on a pig.  A few of my favorite quotes:

"And indeed, Innosilicon is Sia’s largest miner, mining a stable 37.5% of the Sia hashrate."   (meaning 62.5% of the hashrate is coming from other companies!)

Yes good catch. There is so much crap in that article, basically apologetic nonsense to give their PRO asic views some legitimate background. Oh well.
thier own greed killed them ,didn’t they make enough from thier premine and large holdings? They shoud never have got into the hardware business.  Now thier anti asic drivel comes off as a poor joke
Marvell2

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 10:03:19 PM

thier own greed killed them ,didn’t they make enough from thier premine and large holdings? They shoud never have got into the hardware business.  Now thier anti asic drivel comes off as a poor joke

that being said bricking shitmain and innotrashilicon asics is always a good thing i hope it happens
kissmarx

Activity: 1106
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2018, 12:18:28 AM

I think this will not be good for the stability of the Sia network. Unless of course if the Sia developers and community are mostly ready to mine with their own ASICs or mining equipment. They can just turn off the switch for Bitmain and InnoSilicon in a given time, and turn it on again later with a new protocol for their own Sia mining equipment.
lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 02:56:53 AM

Yes forking off Sia to create a centralized network of miners is not the proper way and unfortunately a doomed project because of that.

That's why I'm creating ObeliskGold to fix this big mess.
Here's a link to my Red Paper. I am looking for developers, co founders, and marketing, website creators. You will be compensated in ObeliskGold generiously from founders block reward for being the early adopters. Feel free to contact me if you share my vision.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5040758.msg46327630#msg46327630

MinedTangerine

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 06:53:50 AM

that being said bricking shitmain and innotrashilicon asics is always a good thing i hope it happens

Agreed, thats the good thing.

nitrobg

Activity: 413
Merit: 17

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 07:30:54 AM

Basically their own 28nm ASIC was delayed by so long time so it was made obsolete by Bitmain and Innosilicon, so they just forked the network to brick them and leave only their own miner as monopoly. There's yet another  upcoming Obelisk that will be released when another manufacturer decides to create a private ASIC for the network.
dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 10:45:56 AM

They're not bricking all asic miners.

They are bricking all non-Obelisk asic miners. Nuance.

So they are limiting the network hash to themselves and the few Obelisk buyers/users that they still have. That's a very risky move. But the day they do, on the other hand, it might actually be profitable again to mine with GPUs as I cannot imagine there are that many Obelisk asics in circulation (anymore?).
huntingthesnark

Activity: 357
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2018, 10:58:33 AM

They're not bricking all asic miners.

They are bricking all non-Obelisk asic miners. Nuance.

So they are limiting the network hash to themselves and the few Obelisk buyers/users that they still have. That's a very risky move. But the day they do, on the other hand, it might actually be profitable again to mine with GPUs as I cannot imagine there are that many Obelisk asics in circulation (anymore?).

That was my first thought - surely nethash is going to plummet when they flick that switch.

For the latest Crypto news and alts info check out https://coinsjar.info/
tg88
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1411

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 11:33:59 AM

On what date does this fork go into effect?
nsummy (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 06:00:30 PM

On what date does this fork go into effect?

October 31st
Marvell2

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 06:22:19 PM

I winder if this wil bring back sia dual mining with claymore
nsummy (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 06:27:47 PM

More than likely no.  Even though these Obelisk miners are sub-par, they will still blow away anything a gpu can do.
abstractHaze

Activity: 106
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 07:23:02 PM

the only thing sia does well, is sell..

if you need help with this.  i can assist Wink.
almonk

Activity: 47
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 10:03:43 PM

It will probably disable their ASICs competitors and make their own ASICs profitable. It is possible that GPU mining will be profitable for some period of time unless they precisely calculated the fork date when all their ASICs will be online and ready to mine.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: