Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:21:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: when should you shoot a cop  (Read 5455 times)
Sock Puppet

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 06:08:07 AM

If you're strong enough to physically overpower him without putting yourself in unreasonable danger, you should.  If that's not possible, drawing a gun and ordering him to stand down is reasonable.  If he continues to attempt the rape (or attempts to rush you), shooting him is then likely the minimum force necessary to prevent a violent crime.

Property crimes are variable, but to prevent violent crime I'm pretty sure that "minimum reasonable force" is legal in every state.  Some states allow you to escalate your use of force faster than this, but I'm not aware of any that would require you to stand aside while a rape is in progress.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
caston

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2011, 02:33:03 PM

Of course you'd want to avoid ever being in this sort of situation in the first place. Even if you were right to respond with force you either be overwhelmed by his backup or have a hell of a fight to prove yourself to the courts and if you fail be likely risking a death penalty.

bitcoin BTC: 1MikVUu1DauWB33T5diyforbQjTWJ9D4RF
bitcoin cash: 1JdkCGuW4LSgqYiM6QS7zTzAttD9MNAsiK

-updated 3rd December 2017
onesalt

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 06:11:06 PM

Never shoot a cop.

Idiots.
ALPHA.

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 07:07:46 PM

You should shoot anybody that significantly aggresses against your person. I couldn't care less if he was a cop. The right to my life, the rights of my family and property comes above all.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 07:15:45 PM

I think it's terrible that we cannot shoot criminals for theft.  If someone's stealing my car, why SHOULDN'T I be able to shoot them?

There'd be a heck of a lot less theft if people were actually able to defend their own property properly.
deuxmill

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 07:29:53 PM

I think it's terrible that we cannot shoot criminals for theft.  If someone's stealing my car, why SHOULDN'T I be able to shoot them?

There'd be a heck of a lot less theft if people were actually able to defend their own property properly.

What do you meant you ain't able? You are fully able unless you are retarded. It's just that it's illegal and might get you in prison and rightly so because your life was never in danger. But sure enough you are able.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 07:54:20 PM

What do you meant you ain't able? You are fully able unless you are retarded. It's just that it's illegal and might get you in prison and rightly so because your life was never in danger. But sure enough you are able.
But why is it ok to just let someone run off with your things?  Why do I not have a right to do whatever I need to do to ensure my property isn't stolen?

Also related to this subject - why can a trespasser sue me if they trip over a rake that I left in my yard?  Just seems so wrong...
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 08:33:39 PM

I don't know sarge. Do you really own anything worth more than a life? It's not that I'm a pacifist, like any American I have all sorts of guns and I have a Utah permit to carry. But I would not shoot anyone for stealing my stuff, even my bitcoins. Shocked
I've seen war and killing on three continents now, they are not good memories.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 08:48:17 PM

I think it's terrible that we cannot shoot criminals for theft.  If someone's stealing my car, why SHOULDN'T I be able to shoot them?

I don't know sarge. Do you really own anything worth more than a life? It's not that I'm a pacifist, like any American I have all sorts of guns and I have a Utah permit to carry. But I would not shoot anyone for stealing my stuff, even my bitcoins. Shocked
I've seen war and killing on three continents now, they are not good memories.
You got me there.  I can't think of anything that is worth more than a life.

I suppose I am the type who would post up a sign on my property that says "trespassers will be shot".  Not because trespassers deserve to be shot, but because I would want to keep people off of my property who might do something malicious to me, my family, or my things.  And really, as soon as someone enters my property without authorization or good reason (i.e., the postman delivery a package to my door or something equally legitimate), I would feel that my life is threatened.  I would much rather avoid confrontation entirely than have those feelings.

And I love avoiding confrontation through threats.  If I was lawfully able to shoot anyone who came on my property and tried to steal my things, then there'd be a lot less of that happening.  But since I am not lawfully able to defend my property with the threat of killing anyone who tries to take it, there's a lot of theft.  Thieves know that, no matter what they do, they are not risking losing their life by stealing from people.  If that were a real threat, they might reconsider their choice of career.

FWIW, I've had things stolen from around my house five times now since I moved there three years ago.  None of the times I actually witnessed the theft, but it's dang frustrating that there's little I can do about it except file a useless police report.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 08:57:57 PM

@SgtSpike Wow 5 break-ins! That might change my opinion also. I still might not shoot a burglar if I caught him, but I might rob him before letting him go. Cheesy

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 09:23:55 PM

To clarify, it was things OUTSIDE the house that were stolen.  I'd probably have moved by now if they were break and enter thefts!  Had a bicycle in my gated carport that was stolen, a pumpkin a few days ago off my porch, my wife's car gone though, a Christmas wreath from the front door disappeared, etc.  Doesn't make one put much faith in the neighborhood, or the legal system for that matter.  If it were up to me, I'd spend some nights sitting in my darkened living room with the rifle loaded and a window open.
deuxmill

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 12:22:33 AM

But why is it ok to just let someone run off with your things?  Why do I not have a right to do whatever I need to do to ensure my property isn't stolen?

Also related to this subject - why can a trespasser sue me if they trip over a rake that I left in my yard?  Just seems so wrong...

Then do what you believe is right and assume the responsibility don't try to make others consent.
Snapman

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

BTCRadio Owner

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2011, 12:32:03 AM

Its good to see alot of "free-minded" people in discussion about a very important and urgent topic. And for those of you who spewed "never" or anything along those lines, you need to wake up from that dream your living in. Bitcoin seems to attract the extremes on both sides, those who are competely 'in the know', and those who have no idea wtf is going on.

BTCRadio: 17cafKShokyQCbaNuzaDo5HLoSnffMNPAs
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 01:53:18 AM

Then do what you believe is right and assume the responsibility don't try to make others consent.
Not sure what you mean by "don't try to make others consent".  Consent to what?
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 03:33:26 AM

never..
deuxmill

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 10:24:13 AM

Consent on what seems right/wrong to you.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 04:38:52 PM

I wasn't really trying to force people into my viewpoint.  Just trying to understand why my viewpoint isn't held by others...
deuxmill

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 09:08:39 PM

I wasn't really trying to force people into my viewpoint.  Just trying to understand why my viewpoint isn't held by others...

Because your point of view is an ultimate penalty. And that should be your decision to make not mine , not your neighbors , not ours ,your and your Only.  Because only you know how the theft affected you. I'm not saying your viewpoint is bad or good , all I'm saying that i don't want a law like that Cheesy
this is just my view point.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 09:13:13 PM

Because your point of view is an ultimate penalty. And that should be your decision to make not mine , not your neighbors , not ours ,your and your Only.  Because only you know how the theft affected you. I'm not saying your viewpoint is bad or good , all I'm saying that i don't want a law like that Cheesy
this is just my view point.
Ah, ok, that makes sense.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 08:36:49 AM

never..

Really? Do you have no imagination?

Cop and his partner break in your door. Cop kills your family then his partner. Explains how you are going to prison for the murders because the gun he used is unregistered and he's going to put your prints on it, not to mention testify that you did it.

But he's lowered his weapon and didn't expect you'd have one inside your jacket.

Never is bull.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: