Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:39:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who can move and lock topics? Patrollers?  (Read 352 times)
TheBeardedBaby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 02:05:00 PM

Saw lately something strange, the user alanst moved and locked this topic from Development & Technical Discussion to Beginners & Help, but he is not the creator of the topic so I just wonder, is he a patroller? Can they move topics I know that they can delete posts. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Strufmbae

Activity: 486
Merit: 27

HIRE ME FOR SMALL TASK

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 02:07:33 PM

So if a patroller did it does it mean they are like moderators? And i haven't seen any badge that points out that a user is a patroller.

TheBeardedBaby (OP)
Legendary

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 06:18:48 PM

Saw lately something strange, the user alanst moved and locked this topic from Development & Technical Discussion to Beginners & Help, but he is not the creator of the topic so I just wonder, is he a patroller? Can they move topics I know that they can delete posts.  

Maybe you're just mistaking it badly, we can still conclude that he also owns the account that started the Thread, he may have a new account that has a Copper Membership and one that hasn't. So maybe he really is the one who moved the thread and locked that.

And as far as I know, there isn't such thing as patroller here, Only Mods/Staffs can do such things as deleting/moving/locking threads except for the owner of the Thread.

Edited:
Upon looking on the threads he started, I think he just did that for some reason like to remind the audience (that is looking for a certain thread in an old place where it has to be)  that it wasn't there anymore.

No, I'm not mistaken here. You cannot lock or move someone's post if you don't have the permission and those who have the permission are the staff/mods and it looks like the patrollers too.

Regards the patrollers, yes they are real:
Yes, it's the same as always. Currently there are 3 patrollers and 20 non-patroller local moderators. (I saw someone say elsewhere that all mods have jurisdiction over newbies, but this isn't true.) At some points in the past there have been more patrollers, but that's not necessarily indicative of a shortage.

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 06:59:14 PM

Maybe you're just mistaking it badly, we can still conclude that he also owns the account that started the Thread, he may have a new account that has a Copper Membership and one that hasn't. So maybe he really is the one who moved the thread and locked that.

And as far as I know, there isn't such thing as patroller here, Only Mods/Staffs can do such things as deleting/moving/locking threads except for the owner of the Thread.

Edited:
Upon looking on the threads he started, I think he just did that for some reason like to remind the audience (that is looking for a certain thread in an old place where it has to be)  that it wasn't there anymore.

No, I'm not mistaken here. You cannot lock or move someone's post if you don't have the permission and those who have the permission are the staff/mods and it looks like the patrollers too.

You're most certainly not mistaken here.
Accounts that move threads leave a redirection without increasing post count or activity count (like this one has done).

I reckon that use is theymos or cyrus having a go at fiddling with user permissions so that it looks like they're right all along about there being enough mods (by secretely adding some more).

The only other way this could possibly be done is if the redirection thread was created by that user and either theymos had a stroke, intentionally moved the topic over to be owned by anohter user, there was a database error, that user used some sort of sql injection in order to bypass a database security section and change the ownership of a thread temporarily to themselves and give it back after they had done the change or that account is theymos' account.

Whichever of these you think it most likeely is then maybe it is. I wouldn't be surprised if it was theymos but I also wouldn't be surprised ifit was SMF being its regular faulty self Smiley.
TheBeardedBaby (OP)
Legendary

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 08:47:28 PM

I suspect this is an alt account of one of the Mods, used for moderation. Btw the patrollers are not publicly announced, so how many we have nobody knows, except the staff of course.

pugman
Legendary

Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551

dogs are cute.

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2018, 09:54:24 PM

AFAIK, patrollers also have the staff symbol(?) So Patrollers basically only have jurisdiction on newbies alone, for any section they have been given the permission to. Normal staff have jurisdiction on specific board/s only. Either theymos gave access to this user or something else is going on here.

k0er
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 10:59:12 PM

~
as seen on September 10th it was the same https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5025668.msg45483924#msg45483924
just a magic. nothing more Smiley

YANDEX
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1208

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 04:22:02 AM

The only other way this could possibly be done is if the redirection thread was created by that user and either theymos had a stroke, intentionally moved the topic over to be owned by anohter user, there was a database error, that user used some sort of sql injection in order to bypass a database security section and change the ownership of a thread temporarily to themselves and give it back after they had done the change or that account is theymos' account.
This scenario painted is very scary and places a huge security burden on the forum. I hope this isn't what happened. Only moderators or empowered few have the enabled feature for deleting, moving or moderating posts. I know this because I am a mod on another site. Even as a mod you can't even moderate sections not assign to you.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
TheBeardedBaby (OP)
Legendary

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 07:13:06 AM

It's getting more and more mystical this account

you can go and buy a copper membership, at the moment, it's the only solution if you're not able to get 1 merit.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=credit;promote

You will be getting a merit as soon as you'll stop looking for it. Just start helping instead of complaining and it will come.

Meanwhile, just buy a Copper Membership in order to avoid the limitations, I bought mine as soon as I made the account only because I wanted to remove the time between reporting the shitposters that are asking for their ranks back nowSmiley

This is actually the best thing that happened with the forum at the moment, hopefully we will be rid of the "good project" shitposting made only for the sake of rank increase.
NOTE> The time is wrong, because the quote if from locked thread so I used the date from the previous comment, that's why they matched.

He has 2 posts but only 1 activity and one post in the profile and both posts are in Meta.Well, the second quote is from a locked thread, but still AFAIK you don't loose post count if the threads is locked.
I guess he reports a lot and got the patroller position.

k0er
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 05, 2018, 07:42:46 AM
Merited by TheBeardedBaby (1)

~snip
NOTE> The time is wrong, because the quote if from locked thread so I used the date from the previous comment, that's why they matched.

i use http://www.onlineconversion.com/unix_time.htm
for quoting from locked topic. Smiley

YANDEX
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: