Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:55:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Equihash ASIC Takeover is Complete. Here's the data.  (Read 310 times)
buck54321 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 06, 2018, 12:23:18 PM

Here's some info I gathered about Equihash and ASICS.

https://medium.com/@strataminer/the-equihash-asic-takeover-is-complete-d33f5444613
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
October 06, 2018, 12:34:09 PM

That is an excellent article.  At least one positive note is that the amount if electricity used by the Equihash network is dropping because ASIC's are so efficient. 
MATHReX

Activity: 861
Merit: 281

View Profile
October 06, 2018, 01:59:42 PM

A great compilation of data and yes, the energy consumption for the mining of Equishash coins has dropped significantly but day by day the majority of the net hash is growing under ASIC territory which is not good for GPU mining, thus more and more centralization to the ASIC companies.
I'm not against ASIC but the companies who manufacture ASICs and their bad market practices.
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
October 06, 2018, 09:31:28 PM

A great compilation of data and yes, the energy consumption for the mining of Equishash coins has dropped significantly but day by day the majority of the net hash is growing under ASIC territory which is not good for GPU mining, thus more and more centralization to the ASIC companies.
I'm not against ASIC but the companies who manufacture ASICs and their bad market practices.

as more asics hit the network those 3x energy gains will be further eroded, remeber gpus are more sophisticated devices overall than any asic , so there upper limit of how many gpus can bec added to the network is alot smaller.

as more power and larger asic farms hit we will see close to the same old oower use, they only difference is a way higher global hashrate and difficulty. 

same thing happened with bitcoin.
toptek12

Activity: 123
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 06, 2018, 09:50:30 PM
Last edit: October 06, 2018, 10:59:04 PM by toptek12

as more asics hit the network those 3x energy gains will be further eroded, remeber gpus are more sophisticated devices overall than any asic , so there upper limit of how many gpus can bec added to the network is alot smaller.

as more power and larger asic farms hit we will see close to the same old oower use, they only difference is a way higher global hashrate and difficulty.  

same thing happened with bitcoin.

We are going to see worse power usages there is no way ASICs is a good thing all it does is make the richer richer while they destroy everything around for greed . what can they do with 19 billion they can't do with 2 billion while every one and everything around them goes to waste all for power, greed = money ....an that's what it comes down to an the real truth, ASICs in the end will destroy it all.
it looks good right now but it won't be for long your right by using bitcoin as a example.

I thought power usages was suppose to go down as miners hash rate went up all a lie. soon no one will be able to mine in there homes i mean no one because of the power needed to run one miner that might make 10 to 15 bucks a day for maybe 2 months that used to be 6 months, if your lucky and the heat,noise there might even be laws passed to stop us form running a miner like that in our home even if we manage to get one or two to run at that rate in a home.
so
wait till we have miners running say at 1 PH using 50k watts making 5 bucks a day if that,the only way anything will work at that rate is if btc go up to 100 k or more a pop .,that to me isn't great energy consumption unless some one finds a way to run a 1 PH miner @ 800 watts at the wall.. or something new comes out which is possible an it could be GPU's never underestimate a thing.

well see and watch them change there toon about ASIC i did i started mining about the time the antminer s1 came out .... an started with ASICs then saw how much better GPU's are.
I was even one of those telling others back then that "ASIC will mine all most anything in time, if you pay some one enough money they will find a way" ofc i was shoot down as usually .

I know others won't agree but that's the truth ...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: