Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:54:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gene editing is a god-making plan or a challenge to morality?  (Read 241 times)
Iwillgotothemoon (OP)

Activity: 171
Merit: 14

View Profile
November 30, 2018, 05:08:03 AM

News link: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/26/chinese-crispr-baby-gene-editing-criminally-reckless-bio-ethicist.html

Chinese scientist He Jiankui announced on November 26 that the world’s first genetically edited twin was born in China this month. He created the “Immune AIDS Gene Editor Baby”.
These twins are naturally resistant to AIDS after birth,this has caused many scientists to criticize and protest,this is really the most frightening news today!
The "amazing experiment" of the Chinese scientist has made us have to think about the god-making plan that human beings have always dreamed of.
I have always believed that human evolution is the consequence of natural selection. We should follow the rules of nature, but since the birth of mankind, with the increasing scientific knowledge, humans have begun to regard themselves as creators and have been trying to create more perfect human.
From AI intelligence to gene editing, every step of humanity is moving toward creating God. When one day everyone becomes a combination of AI+ gene editing, I will be afraid because this is not a real person,not a natural person, this will be a man-made-man world.
Do you think that we should follow the laws of nature or should we use science and technology to create perfect humans?
For me, I would rather be a flawed natural person than a "perfect human",because I think that people who are transformed by science and technology will lose their souls, I am afraid of losing my soul.

◊ ◊ ◊ 𝗘𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲𝘂𝗺 𝗖𝗹𝗮𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗰 𝗩𝗶𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻 ◊ ◊  ▬▬  ▬▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬   Free ETCV coins ◊ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ANN ◊ ◊   ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬  ▬▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ◊ ◊ Hard fork of Ethereum ◊ ◊  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  WhitePaper ▬▬  ▬▬  Github
                       ◊  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    Twitter ▬  ▬ Telegram ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ◊ ◊  All Ethereum holders will receive 3 ETCV  ◊ ◊ ◊

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lrvjvt

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

Fast, Smart, Trustworthy

View Profile
November 30, 2018, 05:35:15 AM

What a terrible new words for "Immune AIDS Gene Editor Baby"!
This is not to create God, but to open the Pandora's Box!
This means that humans will lose diversity. We only need to choose the best genes we need at birth, and humans will be mass-produced like commodities.
I think of Hitler's Lebensborn plan.  Embarrassed

FST Network   Fast, Smart, Trustworthy.   Bounty
Medium   Facebook   Twitter   Telegram
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
November 30, 2018, 06:05:43 AM

From AI intelligence to gene editing, every step of humanity is moving toward creating God.
You must have an extraordinarily low opinion of your god if you think a computer program or genetically-enhanced person is anything close to His level.

I think that people who are transformed by science and technology will lose their souls,
Why? What is your theological basis for thinking that?

I am afraid of losing my soul.
I am afraid of you losing your soul too, but for different reasons. You worry me. You strike me as the kind of person who would kill genetically-enhanced people for the crime of existing. Are you that kind of person? Is that the "challenge to morality" you're referring to?

I can't even adopt a cat without being doubtful that it's a natural one.
Housecats aren't natural, and natural cats do not make good pets, to put it mildly. Housecats, like all domestic animals, did not evolve by natural selection, but by artificial selection by human breeders in what is essentially a primitive form of genetic engineering. This was demonstrated by the Russian zoologist Dmitry Belyayev, who reproduced this process in foxes, and observed many changes in his foxes similar to the changes that distinguish domestic dogs from wolves. Just look at this fine specimen:

Her name is Zoya. Look how cute she is! Can you really deny this creature your love just because she's a genetic experiment?

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Iwillgotothemoon (OP)

Activity: 171

View Profile
November 30, 2018, 06:38:47 AM

I think that people who are transformed by science and technology will lose their souls,
Why? What is your theological basis for thinking that?

I am not opposed to applying genetic technology to all fields except human beings.
The foundation of any theology exists because human beings have natural weaknesses. Once can create a "perfect human" through technology, he can be born with omnipotent, we can choose the best intellectual gene, the strongest physique gene when he is born, and then use AI technology to input all the knowledge we know into his brain. Therefore, it must be a natural atheist because it regards itself as a god.

◊ ◊ ◊ 𝗘𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲𝘂𝗺 𝗖𝗹𝗮𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗰 𝗩𝗶𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻 ◊ ◊  ▬▬  ▬▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬   Free ETCV coins ◊ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ANN ◊ ◊   ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬  ▬▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ◊ ◊ Hard fork of Ethereum ◊ ◊  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  WhitePaper ▬▬  ▬▬  Github
                       ◊  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    Twitter ▬  ▬ Telegram ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ◊ ◊  All Ethereum holders will receive 3 ETCV  ◊ ◊ ◊
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2018, 06:41:24 AM

DNA, in spite of all we do know about it, is still to a very large degree a mystery to scientists. We really don't have a full understanding of the long term results of gene editing. There is speculation that a lot of the more modern health problems people are having are related to the body responding differently to the modified foods, resulting in inflammation leading to more serious illness, as well as epigenetic changes. In particular the new CRISPR technology is even more dangerous as it could potentially cause even more short term issues as well as unintended and uncontrolled DNA contamination.
bluefirecorp_

Activity: 574
Merit: 152

View Profile
November 30, 2018, 03:15:17 PM

To be fair, editing human children might be a bit dangerous; but as long as we observe the effects, it should be fine.

Emily_Davis

Activity: 71
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2018, 03:21:49 PM

My question is why do they think they need to create a genetically edited baby from scratch? Nothing wrong with gene editing (existing) humans, but I just want to know make babies from the scratch? To be fair, I don't think the scientists are trying to create God, but more like acting like a God in the sense that they can manipulate life. That said, does this mean the baby is an orphan or what?
ATMD

Activity: 70
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2018, 09:44:00 PM

For me, I would rather be a flawed natural person than a "perfect human",because I think that people who are transformed by science and technology will lose their souls, I am afraid of losing my soul.

What if today they offer you a scientifically proven, safe drug that stops you from aging and prevents you from getting any disease ever again. (Basically you will always be healthy) You would not take it?

This genetic manipulation has nothing to do with your soul, it is your body that receives the full benefits.

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
November 30, 2018, 10:34:57 PM

The foundation of any theology exists because human beings have natural weaknesses. Once can create a "perfect human" through technology, he can be born with omnipotent, we can choose the best intellectual gene, the strongest physique gene when he is born, and then use AI technology to input all the knowledge we know into his brain. Therefore, it must be a natural atheist because it regards itself as a god.
Why should a really strong smart guy regard himself as a god? Being really strong and smart is not even close to being omnipotent. Again, you don't seem to hold a very high opinion of your god.

Also, if you believe that weakness is good, then genetic engineering can help with that, too. We can genetically engineer people with super-human weaknesses; super-cripples with every disability that exists in nature, with a few artificial disabilities thrown in for good measure! Will their suffering be good for their souls? Will they reach new levels of spiritual awareness that those of mere average weakness can only dream of? I think not.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
redempti00

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 06:55:44 AM

Why should a really strong smart guy regard himself as a god? Being really strong and smart is not even close to being omnipotent. Again, you don't seem to hold a very high opinion of your god.

Also, if you believe that weakness is good, then genetic engineering can help with that, too. We can genetically engineer people with super-human weaknesses; super-cripples with every disability that exists in nature, with a few artificial disabilities thrown in for good measure! Will their suffering be good for their souls? Will they reach new levels of spiritual awareness that those of mere average weakness can only dream of? I think not.

I wonder if OP thinks that these gene edited babies are perfect, immortal creatures who will never catch a disease, therefore regarding to it as "humanity creating God?" ARE these gene edited babies immortal? Are they going to grow up with perfectly good manners and right conduct and be immune to all diseases? Will these gene edited babies lord over us? Maybe this is what he means.
jonemil24

Activity: 448
Merit: 59

imagine me

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 08:33:35 AM

"Prevention is better than cure" - always

Cancer, STDs, HIV, and neurodegenerative diseases, if the society is perfectly immune to all known diseases, it can save you money after the long run. Human gene editing is better than creating a medicine to fill someone else's pocket.

The only thing you should be afraid of is their ability to remove the human emotion.

Normally, if given a choice to do something and nothing, I choose to do nothing.
But I will do something if it helps someone else to do nothing.
I'd work all night if it meant nothing got done.
- Roy Swanson
SneakyLady

Activity: 114
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 11:55:01 AM

People often forget that we, too are apart of nature. Therefore, anything and everything we do is only natural.

It's only natural to want to improve things and eliminate problems, and we do this both consciously and unconsciously in all areas of life. Such a scientific breakthrough is no surprise..

This is also represented in the current monetary revolution and movement towards decentralisation. We are improving our barbaric and outdated system of exchanging value and maintaining "order" because people will naturally take back this power and control given the opportunity. Blockchain and BTC has given the opportunity.

The future is essentially in the hands of the public , and it is much brighter! I see less sickness and democratised opportunity and equality on the horizon. The only issue with that is overpopulation..

The "superhumans" could very well begin weeding out the "useless."

FilesFM_Announcements
Copper Member

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2018, 01:03:26 PM

People often forget that we, too are apart of nature. Therefore, anything and everything we do is only natural.

I agree, I think it's part of our job to influence our own destiny to build ourselves capable of leaving earth surviving hostile environments, beating disease and cancer. Any intelligent life form would do the same given the chance.

files.fm library ✦ 
P2P File Catalog & Marketplace with AI and Blockchain Payments
WHITEPAPER ◉ ─────  Bounty ♦️  Bitcointalk ♦️  Telegram ♦️  Facebook ♦️  Medium ♦️  YouTube ♦️  Twitter ♦️  Reddit  ───── ◉ WHITELIST
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: