Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:24:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bittrex Market Buy Limit API URL Link Question (Where api key goes)  (Read 179 times)
justinc1089 (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 08, 2018, 10:48:05 PM

https://support.bittrex.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003723911

Under the Market API section, under /market/buy limit

This is the url link they show as an example to use:

https://bittrex.com/api/v1.1/market/selllimit?apikey=API_KEY&market=BTC-LTC&quantity=1.2&rate=1.3

Where do you put your api key in that to make it work? I have tried replacing API_KEY, tried replacing apikey, tried placing my api key after KEY before &, deleting apikey=API_KEY, maybe one or two other things, and nothing that I have tried has worked.

On Bittrex, I went to Settings > Site Settings > API Keys and have been using the key shown under Key which is under API Keys towards the top center of the screen. (Kind of to the left).

Can anyone tell me what I'm not figuring out?

I wish these exchanges just put some actual example url links on their API documentation to help total noobs like myself who don't know how this stuff works really.
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BQ

Activity: 616
Merit: 53

CoinMetro - the future of exchanges

View Profile
October 09, 2018, 12:33:39 AM

?apikey=key_here
that's definitely the place to put it, if it's not working it's not wrong with the url atleast  Embarrassed

5 EUR free crypto on signup! XCM exchange token ⚜⚜⚜  CoinMetro - Copy Trading - Margin - 0% maker fee  ⚜⚜⚜ - generate €500 volume in July for a chance to win €100!
justinc1089 (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2018, 01:23:55 AM

?apikey=key_here
that's definitely the place to put it, if it's not working it's not wrong with the url atleast  Embarrassed

I might have tried that. If not I tried something close. I'm going to try that in case I did not. I appreciate the reply. I'm thinking now that the url probably just can't do what I'm trying to make it do. I opened a support ticket with Bittrex so they'll probably be able to tell me for sure relatively soon.
Bitfort

Activity: 952
Merit: 339

invest trade and gamble wisely

View Profile
October 09, 2018, 07:19:00 AM
Last edit: October 09, 2018, 07:32:29 AM by Bitfort

I have tried replacing API_KEY

That is the correct place.
BUT
I think you are missing basic knowledge how this works. Api key alone won't work. You need to authenticate the request. Sign it using your api secret (otherwise anyone who knows your apiKey could trade with your account  ... you certainly do not want this).

There is big difference between accessing public API and account API.
Public api works as you think: Visiting given URL returns you the data (markets, tickers, orderbook...). But for accessing you account data (create orders, cancel orders...) you need to authenticate the request.

Briefly how it works:
1 - you create the request (build the url using apikey, pair, amount, rate & nonce)
2 - you sign this request using api secret
3 - you send both request and signature (so the server knows you are the apiKey/ apiSecret  owner)

Bittrex API documentation is done pretty well. Try to read it entirely.

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄E► (KCS) Kucoin-Staking, Auto-Lending, Trading-Bot
◄E► (BNB) Binance-Staking, Savings, 10% RefBack
◄E► (TRX) Poloniex-Staking, Lending, Fee Discount
◄E► (LEO) Bitfinex-Staking, Auto-Lending

◄G► Betfury-Faucet, Dividend Earnings (BFG holders, mine BFG by playing)
◄G► Bitvest -  Faucet, Bankroll Invest
◄G► CryptoGames-Faucet, Lotto
◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

◄M► Prohashing (Multipool)-Payout in any coin, get 0.50% bonus for 30 days
◄M► MiningRigRentals (Marketplace)-buy hashrate or rent your miners
◄M► Viabtc  (Pool)-payout to Coinex (exchnage) without fees

justinc1089 (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2018, 01:17:19 PM
Merited by OgNasty (1)

BUT
I think you are missing basic knowledge how this works. Api key alone won't work. You need to authenticate the request. Sign it using your api secret (otherwise anyone who knows your apiKey could trade with your account  ... you certainly do not want this).

Public api works as you think: Visiting given URL returns you the data (markets, tickers, orderbook...). But for accessing you account data (create orders, cancel orders...) you need to authenticate the request.

Briefly how it works:
1 - you create the request (build the url using apikey, pair, amount, rate & nonce)
3 - you send both request and signature (so the server knows you are the apiKey/ apiSecret  owner)

Thanks! Yes. You are correct that I lack basic knowledge of how this works. I appreciate the help. I was thinking the API key was the api secret lol. Where do you sign it with your api secret? At the end of the URL?
Bitfort

View Profile
October 09, 2018, 02:23:02 PM

BUT

Briefly how it works:

Thanks! Yes. You are correct that I lack basic knowledge of how this works. I appreciate the help. I was thinking the API key was the api secret lol. Where do you sign it with your api secret? At the end of the URL?

IMO you think you're going to create URL which after visit going to execute the order. Am I correct?
Unfortunately it's not that simple.

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

justinc1089 (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2018, 02:28:40 PM

BUT

Briefly how it works:

IMO you think you're going to create URL which after visit going to execute the order. Am I correct?

That was what I was trying to see if I could do. I figured it was not actually that simple unfortunately!
Bitfort

View Profile
October 09, 2018, 02:37:34 PM

BUT

Briefly how it works:

That was what I was trying to see if I could do. I figured it was not actually that simple unfortunately!

OK, but it's not complicated either. You need some very basic knowledge of javascript or other language.

I'm not experienced coder and I lack deep knowledge as well but still was able to create my own scripts to communicate via API ( using php ).
Just search more about: application/json content-type and how to send GET request with httpheader.

BTW try to read bitfinex api documentation ( it helped me a lot, and they have more examples) https://docs.bitfinex.com/docs/rest-auth

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

justinc1089 (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2018, 02:42:57 PM

BUT

Briefly how it works:

OK, but it's not complicated either. You need some very basic knowledge of javascript or other language.

I'm not experienced coder and I lack deep knowledge as well but still was able to create my own scripts to communicate via API ( using php ).
Just search more about: application/json content-type and how to send GET request with httpheader.

BTW try to read bitfinex api documentation ( it helped me a lot, and they have more examples) https://docs.bitfinex.com/docs/rest-auth

I have done some extremely basic coding back in college in two or three business computer type classes, but don't know much beyond that. I plan on learning more about coding. Right now I'm trying to work with excel because I'm pretty decent with excel so I do a lot of things with formulas and so on relating to cryptocurrencies. I think I need to know how to use VBA and macros which I don't know to get excel to be able to communicate with exchange APIs.

Yeah bitfinex is helpful. I already found reading their documentation helpful just like you said so I will take another look at that for sure!
Bitfort

View Profile
October 09, 2018, 03:04:14 PM

BUT

Briefly how it works:

I have done some extremely basic coding back in college in two or three business computer type classes, but don't know much beyond that. I plan on learning more about coding. Right now I'm trying to work with excel because I'm pretty decent with excel so I do a lot of things with formulas and so on relating to cryptocurrencies. I think I need to know how to use VBA and macros which I don't know to get excel to be able to communicate with exchange APIs.

Yeah bitfinex is helpful. I already found reading their documentation helpful just like you said so I will take another look at that for sure!

OK, IMHO you need to find the way how in excel you can set and send httpheader.

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: