Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 04:28:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Identity confirmation  (Read 918 times)
Gurthang12 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:10:05 AM

Hi everybody, I am an absolute beginner. Apologies if its a silly question  Wink

If I send bitcoins to somebody in order to buy a product or a service, how can I demonstrate that I am the actual sender of the money? Perhaps should I email him with the transaction number? Is that considered a suitable validation?  Huh

All help appreciated!  Smiley
Jacce

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:38:29 AM

Mostly the services uses different Bitcoin addresses to identify the sender, since one can have practically infinite addresses. So almost always you don't have to do anything yourself for the receiver to know who sent the money.
EliteVortex

Activity: 1

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 03:28:51 AM

Most people set up different deposit addresses for different senders, so when something is sent to that address, they know who gave them BTC.

Welcome to the world of cryptocurrency!!
ayesha98170

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:42:49 AM

You can easily prove this by signing the transaction. Or you can just ask the seller for bitcoin address just for you. Most online business that accept bitcoin use different bitcoin address every order.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 10:13:08 AM

Seller provides unique address for you to pay (best)
or
You send to a address shared with all customers, and you sign a message using your own address

Anybody can see the transaction ID on the blockchain. It's public.
Danglebee

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 04:09:09 PM

sign message as said by other user. can do on bitcoin-qt 2 second.

welcome to forum =) Just to make aware. lot scammer in forum. escrow are a must!!!!

minimila

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 04:40:14 PM

test

DwarfPool Quality you can trust! http://DwarfPool.com Reliable MONERO Pool
Profit Calculator and Price chart: JackpotCoin Maxcoin Talkcoin Saffroncoin  DwarfExplorer: Talkcoin with chat
Anonymous pool with failover servers and PPS: [XMR][JPC][MAX][GRS][TAC][SFR]Support thread on forum
apsvinet

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 11:44:09 PM

Welcome to the forum, everyone is a liar here to make profit from deceiving you!

Seriously guys, chillax. People are smart enough to make their own decisions without
telling them everyone is out to hurt them.

∎               GAWMiners The Hashlet World's first digital cloud miner!
∎∎∎   No pool fees Instant activation Never obsolete Always profitable
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4382
Merit: 3061

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 02:03:32 AM

If I send bitcoins to somebody in order to buy a product or a service, how can I demonstrate that I am the actual sender of the money?
You don't. All you need to demonstrate is that the money was sent for the purpose of paying for that particular order, which the merchant can do automatically by using a unique Bitcoin address for each order. If that address receives the requisite number of bitcoins, the order is paid for and the merchant ships it out, regardless of who actually paid.

The reason for doing it this way is that in many cases, you are not the actual sender of the money, nor will the actual sender of the money necessarily know anything about the order that they're paying for. This will happen if you are using a web wallet or other payment processor that makes Bitcoin transactions on your behalf. In that case, they're making the payment, not you, and you cannot prove otherwise.

Note that if a merchant does ask you to prove you are the sender, they're doing something hopelessly wrong and you should not do business with them.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 06:24:59 PM

Everyone's hit everything, so I'll just add that the transaction ID is public knowledge, so you can't really use that as any kind of proof.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Rinndaranaur

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 09:15:31 PM

Is it true that most online business that accept bitcoin use different bitcoin address every order?
jeroenn13

Activity: 644

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:17:57 PM

Most of the company's yes.

..bustadice..         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
......Play......
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4657

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:03:30 PM

Is it true that most online business that accept bitcoin use different bitcoin address every order?

Competent companies that run a quality business do.

Incompetent companies that are poorly run and won't last wrong might not.
E.exchanger

Activity: 714

NEED CRYPTO CODER? COIN DEVELOPER? PM US FOR HELP!

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 11:51:15 PM

The best way to do is which i do too sometimes is to add a custom note while making the transaction  Smiley
Gurthang12 (OP)

Activity: 4

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 01:51:27 PM

So... as long as the vendor provides a unique Bitcoin address, all I have to do is sending the required sum to that address, pronto. There is no interface like the ones used for credit card payments, where I must indicate the Bitcoin address used to send the money. Right?
Predictbtc

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 02:25:42 PM
Last edit: May 07, 2014, 02:47:52 PM by Predictbtc

Bitcoin is anonymous. The merchant can see all the transaction information like your bitcoin address, TX Id that your bitcoins was sent from and other but they will never know what physical individual sent the money because they don't have any information about you, in case you need to provide shipping address if purchasing physical goods.

If you want to prove that you sent the money adding a note to the transaction would be easiest solution probably.
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 04:10:48 PM

Yes, if they provide you with a unique address then they will know you sent the payment.  If not, you'll have to sign a message with your private key.  But if they're any good you'll get your own unique address to send to.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: