Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:37:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2018-10-10] Blockstream's First Bitcoin Sidechain Has Finally Arrived  (Read 92 times)
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 10, 2018, 06:43:49 PM

https://www.coindesk.com/liquid-goes-live-blockstreams-first-bitcoin-sidechain-has-finally-arrived/

This has been a long time in gestation. One of the more intriguing aspects is how much space this will free up on the Bitcoin chain. I'd guess a minimum of 30% and maybe much, much more is purely used up moving from exchange to exchange.

The places signed up for this account for over 50% of trading volume.

It doesn't look like a true sidechain as people originally envisaged one but no doubt it's going to be picked up by plenty of places.

Innovation or the beginning of quasi centralised hell?
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
October 10, 2018, 08:30:03 PM

Innovation or the beginning of quasi centralised hell?

I was never very interested in federated sidechains. How far can you trust a dozen or two entities not to collude and steal funds? I'm actually pretty skeptical of all sidechains as currently conceived, from a security perspective.

But from an arbitrage perspective, it makes sense. If you're holding BTC on Exchange A and send via the blockchain to Exchange B, you're already trusting both exchanges. From that perspective, using Liquid is probably worth it for instantly credited transfers between trusted third parties.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: