Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:33:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Android become a true OS for a desktop computer?  (Read 270 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2018, 01:09:54 PM
Merited by paxmao (1)

I've just watched this video about running Android on a desktop computer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IUi-fnDaaw

It talks about 7 different ways to run your desktop computer as an Android device. I didn't realise that this option was as popular as it appears to be, This raises the possibility that Android could become another alternative to the often despised Windows.

The Android development company was bought by Google in 2005, so the real question could well be - Is Google prepared to allow this to become a real desktop operating system with mobile integration?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bluefirecorp_

Activity: 574
Merit: 152

View Profile
October 12, 2018, 02:07:30 PM

Fuck the JVM. Fuck applications that are tiny-virtual machines. If I wanted my applications to live in containers, I'd just use docker for them all.

ChromeOS is fairly popular.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2018, 02:52:00 PM

I gave my Chromebook to my partner.

I'm considering installing Kali at the moment. Android on a netbook would be an interesting concept, but not under an emulator.

If I could use a cellnet connection, and link to another computer without using the Internet, then that would be great.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
October 12, 2018, 02:57:34 PM
Merited by Jet Cash (2)

Play Services framework is almost certainly a privacy hole in Android. And probably a security hole too.

I say "almost certainly" and "probably" because it's closed source; only Google know what Play Services is actually doing, as only they have the source. I do not recommend Android if you want privacy or security.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2018, 03:34:43 PM

Just the fact that it is owned by Google means that you are probably correct.

I was thinking of it as a convenient communication medium where privacy wasn't an issue.
Direwolve735

Activity: 448
Merit: 232

View Profile
October 13, 2018, 01:39:49 PM

Android  won`t be able to provide decent resistance to the Windows PC in the number of traditional computer programs. The PC system is clearly not finalized, and it will take a lot of time to at least reach the level at which Windows and Linux are already located, not to mention surpassing the latter. In the interaction of the PC with peripheral devices such as a mouse, webcam and keyboard, Android also remains behind. I believe that Android is more suitable for tablets, and the leadership of Windows is firmly attached to desktop computers that require the power inherent to this system.
acmakc12

Activity: 504
Merit: 19

View Profile
October 13, 2018, 02:08:07 PM

In order for the android to perform the same functions as Windows, Google will have to spend many years, the system itself is not programmed to perform any resource-intensive tasks as in Windows. Maybe they can release an android as an OS for computers, but it will be very raw and not ready even if they work on it. Also, the security level will be extremely small.

What can I say, if the android is not always good at optimizing for some devices, although this is just a mobile phones.

Moreover, it will be very difficult for them to surprise with something when there is such a competitor on the market as macOS.
ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 7385

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
October 13, 2018, 03:21:24 PM
Merited by paxmao (2)

Play Services framework is almost certainly a privacy hole in Android. And probably a security hole too.

I say "almost certainly" and "probably" because it's closed source; only Google know what Play Services is actually doing, as only they have the source. I do not recommend Android if you want privacy or security.

Some android OS modification such as microG, SailfishOS, Replicant & LineageOS offers some privacy since they don't include/enable Google application/services by default.

But most users won't be interested since there aren't many good alternatives for Google Play Store and Google Play Games. There are many other application store, but the only open-source that i know is F-Droid which don't offer many application.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
October 13, 2018, 07:31:32 PM
Merited by paxmao (2)

Just the fact that it is owned by Google means that you are probably correct.

I was thinking of it as a convenient communication medium where privacy wasn't an issue.

It helps other people using privacy tech if you use privacy tech even when you don't "need" it (anything mixing traffic together like tor or i2p is more difficult to analyse if the amount to analyse is larger). It helps you too: anyone spying on you knows when you're doing something you want to be private, that makes the job of detecting what you were doing easier.

If google don't remove the ability to use the Linux based parts of Android, then maybe this might be a good thing, but only as a stepping stone to making real Linux more popular. Something tells me google will remove the Linux base one day, as they would more likely perceive my point as a threat to their market position. Dunno though, Apple stuck with using BSD for maybe 20 years, and they've definitely got the resources (and the inclination) to turn macOS into a "Nintendo LockDown" platform, but still haven't done it. Microsoft actually look closer to that than anyone (apparently, Windows 11 or 12 will remove all access to the actual computer, unless you pay alot of extra cash for a "Windows Developer Edition")
Strufmbae

Activity: 486
Merit: 27

HIRE ME FOR SMALL TASK

View Profile
October 14, 2018, 03:44:35 PM

In terms of software and hardware,  pc and tablets,  smartphones, cellphones has very different capacity and capability,  maybe in the near future android could "be" one of the official and known OS,  to be a system of a PC. 

And you can't get satisfaction from using emulator , it just crashes when needs update.
charlie137

Activity: 1204
Merit: 220

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2018, 08:45:16 PM

its not really a good experience on the phone yet) why would you expand it on the desktop?) theres also great solutions like https://elementary.io
WhyFhy

Activity: 1430
Merit: 511

View Profile
November 18, 2018, 08:53:24 PM

http://www.jide.com/remixos

Sketchy but works as described (True OS for PC/Laptop)
CristianOff

Activity: 421
Merit: 97

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 04:38:24 PM

Honestly I love Google and what they do. Their products and innovation are always awesome.
BUT, I believe that in case of an OS they can come with something better than Android or Chrome OS.
I would love to see an operating system that would compete with Windows and Mac OS.
Such operating system would be difficult because it has to offer AT LEAST what
the other competitors are offering. This way, as a user I don't feel that I'm missing
something.

Or they could literally take the highest risk ever, make an OS that has nothing
we've never seen before. That would be awesome! But please don't allow me
to use just Google Chrome and "navigate YouTube videos" like on Chrome OS...

I have a chrome book and the first thing I did was installing Linux on it LOL
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2018, 12:38:35 AM

I believe that they are capable to make Android version for desktop computers. But I don't think they are going to do that. Windows and iOS already have dominance in this market. They developped their systems for last two decades and it would be too difficult for new player to join this market. For example we already saw how Microsoft failed to join market of smartphones. To be competetive they would have to offer something what other systems still don't have.
Google already tried to create Chrome OS. I haven't tried devices with system, but from what I had read, this system have too many cons, like very limited number of apps. I think that even running Android with emulator on Windows is better than Chrome OS.
I think that Google have to focus on things where they are really good at - Android for phones, tablets, TV and other devices.
And some of you complaining about Google privacy policy. You want to say say that iOS and Windows is better at this question? I don't think so. You will say - use Linux. But I don't think it's perfect option for everyone.
FosterSofia

Activity: 70
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 24, 2018, 02:21:46 PM

Android is good for smartphones and tablets. Now some electronic manufacturers are using android in Camera, TV , Gaming console. And some are selling tablets with keyboard and mouse support for android os to use like desktop but there is very little chance that it will successful as desktop operating system where windows is dominating the desktop market.
bitmover
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 5878

bitcoindata.science

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2018, 11:19:31 AM

There is a big privacy problem as Carlton pointed out.

On the other hand,  Android os is a nice alternative for old computers. It is faster and lighter.

If you have an old computer at home that is struggling with Windows, you could give it a try. There are many tutorials out there
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: