Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 09:22:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Newsweek Journo  (Read 2520 times)
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 961
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:04:55 AM

This will probably be unpopular but I'm going to trust the journo on the reporting of Dorian Nakamoto.

First though, I think she was wrong to a) contact him under the pretence of being interested in something model train related, and b) to publish his house & number and his license plate.

But reading up on her, she is a experienced, senior journalist and while journalism has basically been in decline over the past decade, good investigative reporting never goes out of fashion. If she has fabricated this, her career will be shot. Knowing the likely interest in the story, so too will the editor, the legal department and Newsweek itself. And, if untrue she owes the Nakamoto family a massive apology (that will probably be paid in $$).

I read that she worked on the story for two months which suggests it wasn't some poorly researched throwaway national Enquirer piece.

Mainly though:

The whole article is centred around DSN's alleged quote. If this quote is legitimate, as Goodman has claimed it is, then there really should be little doubt. It provides and admission, context and knowledge of Bitcoin. It would directly contradict DSN's later statement that he'd never heard of it until his son told him about it a few weeks earlier.

Im not going to go into the personal stuff about DSN, but those are my impressions, however misguided.

Funny too that there was never this much hullabaloo about the New Yorker piece or the other articles that have outed 'Satoshi'.

*puts on armour*
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:11:08 AM

complete fiasco
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:13:37 AM

This will probably be unpopular but I'm going to trust the journo on the reporting of Dorian Nakamoto.

First though, I think she was wrong to a) contact him under the pretence of being interested in something model train related, and b) to publish his house & number and his license plate.

But reading up on her, she is a experienced, senior journalist and while journalism has basically been in decline over the past decade, good investigative reporting never goes out of fashion. If she has fabricated this, her career will be shot. Knowing the likely interest in the story, so too will the editor, the legal department and Newsweek itself. And, if untrue she owes the Nakamoto family a massive apology (that will probably be paid in $$).

I read that she worked on the story for two months which suggests it wasn't some poorly researched throwaway national Enquirer piece.

Mainly though:

The whole article is centred around DSN's alleged quote. If this quote is legitimate, as Goodman has claimed it is, then there really should be little doubt. It provides and admission, context and knowledge of Bitcoin. It would directly contradict DSN's later statement that he'd never heard of it until his son told him about it a few weeks earlier.

Im not going to go into the personal stuff about DSN, but those are my impressions, however misguided.

Funny too that there was never this much hullabaloo about the New Yorker piece or the other articles that have outed 'Satoshi'.

*puts on armour*

I think most of the crap comes from the fact she printed so much personal info, including home addy and plate number on his car.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:21:58 AM

The quote that has been taken out of context? The one where he doesn't mention Bitcoin at all? That one?

Do you mean this context?
Now face to face, with two police officers as witnesses, Nakamoto's responses to my questions about Bitcoin were careful but revealing.

"I am no longer involved in that and I cannot discuss it," he says, dismissing all further queries with a swat of his left hand. "It's been turned over to other people. They are in charge of it now. I no longer have any connection."

If Goodman has taken this out of context it would be nothing short of deliberate dishonesty and severely unethical. Perhaps the witnesses could verify, or a tape exists.

The AP video says that he was talking about government work when saying this.
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:23:33 AM

The quote that has been taken out of context? The one where he doesn't mention Bitcoin at all? That one?

Now face to face, with two police officers as witnesses, Nakamoto's responses to my questions about Bitcoin were careful but revealing.

"I am no longer involved in that and I cannot discuss it," he says, dismissing all further queries with a swat of his left hand. "It's been turned over to other people. They are in charge of it now. I no longer have any connection."

If Goodman has taken this out of context it would be nothing short of deliberate dishonesty and severely unethical. Perhaps the witnesses could verify, or a tape exists.

Yeah I am sorry I give the benefit of the doubt to the person and not the reporter. Media is only after the story, and if that means they have to make up some stuff to do it, they will.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
retrend

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:26:21 AM

It's a bit hard to believe someone smart enough to invent crpyto and intent on secrecy would fail at something as simple as a denial. 
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:31:13 AM

Yeah I am sorry I give the benefit of the doubt to the person and not the reporter. Media is only after the story, and if that means they have to make up some stuff to do it, they will.

Sure, having someone arrive at your house, maybe put a recorder in you face, that can really make people nervous. If you've ever been on TV or radio or been interviewed you'll know the feeling. But, if he truly knew nothing about bitcoin his answers should have been different.

Following on, yes media is only after the story. And if someone gets interviewed and says that, that's a damn big story.

Warren

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:36:04 AM

Leah McGrath Goodman was banned from entering Britain for 2 years, (most likely due to her poor ethics as journalist), so I certainly wouldn't put it past her to take that response out of context in order to further her career:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leah-mcgrath-goodman/david-miranda-uk-detention_b_3844480.html
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:45:42 AM

Leah McGrath Goodman was banned from entering Britain for 2 years, (most likely due to her poor ethics as journalist), so I certainly wouldn't put it past her to take that response out of context in order to further her career:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leah-mcgrath-goodman/david-miranda-uk-detention_b_3844480.html

Gee, at least do some cursory reading first.

Miranda was held because he is the partner of Glenn Greenwald, the journo who was in contact with Edward Snowden in the releasing of the NSA trove. The UK held him on a terrorism linked reasoning for 9 hours.

Seems Goodman was investigating some nefarious activities on the British isles and was detained for a similarly trumped up reason.

O/T This is the environment that governments, industry and the media have decided to create. The NSA revelations are the biggest stories probably in the information age (And, they are a reason why people should adopt bitcoin)
Warren

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:28:44 AM
Last edit: March 07, 2014, 07:40:49 AM by Warren

Miranda was held because he is the partner of Glenn Greenwald, the journo who was in contact with Edward Snowden in the releasing of the NSA trove. The UK held him on a terrorism linked reasoning for 9 hours.

Seems Goodman was investigating some nefarious activities on the British isles and was detained for a similarly trumped up reason.

O/T This is the environment that governments, industry and the media have decided to create. The NSA revelations are the biggest stories probably in the information age (And, they are a reason why people should adopt bitcoin)

There is no link between Miranda and Leah McGrath Goodman, or Glenn Greenwald for that matter. In fact I don't think they ever had any contact at all, or at least not before Goodman was detained at the UK border, as Miranda was detained after Goodman and Goodman only found out about Miranda's detention from the Wallstreet Journal.

So I don't understand why you are even mentioning Miranda's detention in regards to Leah McGrath Goodman's?

Leah McGrath Goodman was detained whilst heading to the Channel Islands to supposedly do her "investigative journalism" on a legitimate story about child abuse. A story that all the major UK newspapers were reporting on! It had nothing to do with national security or anything of that nature.

So if the reason for Leah McGrath Goodman's detention and 2-year exclusion order from the UK was NOT due to her sleazy ethics as a journalist willing to fabricate the truth, and with access to big news outlets, why then do you suppose she was detained and prohibited from entering the UK in the first place?
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:45:43 AM

There is no link between Miranda and Leah McGrath Goodman, or Glenn Greenwald for that matter. In fact I don't think they ever had any contact at all, or at least not before Goodman was detained at the UK border, as Miranda was detained after Goodman and Goodman only found out from the Wallstreet Journal.

So I don't understand why you are even mentioning Miranda's detention in regards to Leah McGrath Goodman's?

Leah McGrath Goodman was detained whilst heading to the Channel Islands to supposedly do her "investigative journalism" on a legitimate story about child abuse. A story that all the major UK newspapers were reporting on! It had nothing to do with national security or anything of that nature.

So if the reason for Leah McGrath Goodman's detention and 2-year exclusion order from the UK was NOT due to her sleazy ethics as a journalist, why do you suppose she was detained and prohibited from entering the UK?

You made the unfounded assumption she was banned due to poor ethics. Ha!

Yes, the land of Fleet Street, The Sun, The Daily Mail and countless red tops is going to ban a lady with a visa from entering because she is a poor journo. Actually I dont know of anyone being banned from a country for being poor at their job (although I could propose a few).

can you imagine the conversation - sorry Ms, i read an article where you took a quote out of context. Not acceptable in our fine land. You're barred! 2 years!!! No soup for you!

I mentioned Miranda because he was similarly held at the border for his connection to a journalist who was exposing some very nasty crimes committed elements of the British GOvt. Just like Goodman was detained when investigating a rather sordid story.

You posted a link that 'links' Miranda / Goodman: they both were subject to similar treatment from UK Border patrol.

Do you not read what you write?

Warren

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:08:00 AM

There is no link between Miranda and Leah McGrath Goodman, or Glenn Greenwald for that matter. In fact I don't think they ever had any contact at all, or at least not before Goodman was detained at the UK border, as Miranda was detained after Goodman and Goodman only found out from the Wallstreet Journal.

So if the reason for Leah McGrath Goodman's detention and 2-year exclusion order from the UK was NOT due to her sleazy ethics as a journalist, why do you suppose she was detained and prohibited from entering the UK?

Yes, the land of Fleet Street, The Sun, The Daily Mail and countless red tops is going to ban a lady with a visa from entering because she is a poor journo. Actually I dont know of anyone being banned from a country for being poor at their job (although I could propose a few).

can you imagine the conversation - sorry Ms, i read an article where you took a quote out of context. Not acceptable in our fine land. You're barred! 2 years!!! No soup for you!

I mentioned Miranda because he was similarly held at the border for his connection to a journalist who was exposing some very nasty crimes committed elements of the British GOvt. Just like Goodman was detained when investigating a rather sordid story.

You posted a link that 'links' Miranda / Goodman: they both were subject to similar treatment from UK Border patrol.

Miranda was detained because of his connections with one of the most wanted men in the United States (Snowden), so it is obvious to everyone why he was detained! That is what governments do, detain people that they believe are a threat to national security in some way!

As far as we know Goodman was not researching or writing on anything related to national security or anything of that nature. She was researching a story on child abuse that hundreds of other journalists in the UK were also reporting on.

The UK border agency has a record of foreign persons (from MI6) that are not welcome in the UK for one reason or another, (i.e Mike Tyson because of his rape conviction and other violent crimes).

If MI6 had information about a news reporter that has access to big outlets like Newsweek, and is known for sleazy harmful reporting where she "hangs innocent people out" (as in her latest story just published on Satoshi), is it not likely that would be the reason for her exclusion order?

I ask again, if you do NOT believe this is why she was detained and refused entry to the UK what do you believe the reason was?
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:21:41 AM

Miranda was detained because of his connections with one of the most wanted men in the United States (Snowden), so it is obvious to everyone why he was detained! That is what governments do, detain people that they believe are a threat to national security in some way!

As far as we know Goodman was not researching or writing on anything related to national security or anything of that nature. She was researching a story on child abuse that hundreds of other journalists in the UK were also reporting on.

The UK border agency has a record of foreign persons (from MI6) that are not welcome in the UK for one reason or another, (i.e Mike Tyson because of his rape conviction and other violent crimes).

If MI6 had information about a news reporter that has access to big outlets like Newsweek, and is known for sleazy harmful reporting where she "hangs innocent people out" (as in her latest story just published), is it not likely that would be the reason for her exclusion order?

I ask again, if you do NOT believe this is why she was detained and refused entry to the UK what do you believe the reason was?

This is becoming absurd.

You're asking me to disprove your completely made up speculation.

And anyway I've already written my own assumption as to why she may have been detained - from the article you linked.

Go back and read my post and read the article.

/ End thread

Warren

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:56:17 AM

If MI6 had information about a news reporter that has access to big outlets like Newsweek, and is known for sleazy harmful reporting where she "hangs innocent people out" (as in her latest story just published), is it not likely that would be the reason for her exclusion order?

This is becoming absurd.

And anyway I've already written my own assumption as to why she may have been detained - from the article you linked.

/ End thread

/ End thread
Thought so.  Roll Eyes

I am not asking you to "disprove" my assumption as to why she was detained and banned from the UK.
I was asking why YOU believe she was banned from the country?

And no, you didn't state your own assumption as to why she was detained. All you said was this:

First of all, they (the government) don't need a "trumped up reason" to detain or ban someone. They have laws that say they can do what the hell they want, without giving a reason!

Second, as already mentioned the "nefarious activity" that you are mentioning was a big story of child abuse that hundreds of journalists from the UK and other countries reported on, so why then specifically target her?

My question is WHY you think they didn't want her in the country, if it had nothing to do with her sleazy irresponsible journalism?
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 09:29:56 AM

let's take a snapshot of your trolling rubbish:

- because she was banned for 2 years you wouldnt put it past her to take something out of context (link to her article saying it was due to her on site investigation in Jersey- not for poor ethics). Her plight is backed by BBC, The Guardian etc etc. Dumb troll is dumb

- There is no link between Miranda and Goodman even though you provided an article that linked their experiences with UK Border / Customs

- Goodmans reporting 'had nothing to do with national security or anything of that nature': no shit, see when I wrote "Goodman was investigating some nefarious activities on the British isles" I didnt say national security.

But anyway, you don't come across as very bright.

My premise is that she was banned because she was investigating a story in Jersey that someone did not want her to continue with. Miranda's story sets a precedent as does the general journalistic environment at the moment which paints journalists as traitors/terrorists etc.

Warren

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 09:47:13 AM

This is becoming absurd.

/ End thread

/ End thread
Thought so.  Roll Eyes

I am not asking you to "disprove" my assumption as to why she was detained and banned from the UK.
I was asking why YOU believe she was banned from the country?

And no, you didn't state your own assumption as to why she was detained. All you said was this:

First of all, they (the government) don't need a "trumped up reason" to detain or ban someone. They have laws that say they can do what the hell they want, without giving a reason!

Second, as already mentioned the "nefarious activity" that you are mentioning was a big story of child abuse that hundreds of journalists from the UK and other countries reported on, so why then specifically target her?

My question is WHY you think they didn't want her in the country, if it had nothing to do with her sleazy irresponsible journalism?

let's take a snapshot of your trolling rubbish:

- because she was banned for 2 years you wouldnt put it past her to take something out of context (link to her article saying it was due to her on site investigation in Jersey- not for poor ethics). Her plight is backed by BBC, The Guardian etc etc. Dumb troll is dumb

- There is no link between Miranda and Goodman even though you provided an article that linked their experiences with UK Border / Customs

- Goodmans reporting 'had nothing to do with national security or anything of that nature': no shit, see when I wrote "Goodman was investigating some nefarious activities on the British isles" I didnt say national security.

My premise is that she was banned because she was investigating a story in Jersey that someone did not want her to continue with. Miranda's story sets a precedent as does the general journalistic environment at the moment which paints journalists as traitors/terrorists etc.

Neither do you.  Roll Eyes

My premise is that she was banned because she was investigating a story in Jersey that someone did not want her to continue with.

A story that was also reported on by hundreds of other journalists from the UK and abroad.

Miranda's story sets a precedent as does the general journalistic environment at the moment which paints journalists as traitors/terrorists etc.

Like most journalists, Leah McGrath Goodman is just scum who will do anything to anyone to get a story published.

I've had enough of you.
5flags

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 09:50:00 AM

When told by reporters that "the founder of Bitcoin says 'what'", Dorian is on record as having replied: "what?"

If that's not proof then I don't want to be right.

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
alc

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:07:17 PM

When told by reporters that "the founder of Bitcoin says 'what'", Dorian is on record as having replied: "what?"

If that's not proof then I don't want to be right.
The entire debacle in a nutshell.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:26:04 PM

Why would he admit it and then deny it hours later?
Plus why would he use his real name to begin with.
Obviously just Newsweek trying to drum up business

The Avenger

Activity: 798

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:56:29 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2014, 03:09:12 PM by The Avenger

He was talking about his job, not bitcoin, as I suggested yesterday.

It sounds like a perfectly rational answer IF she was asking about his government work. No longer involved in it (retired) and can't discuss it (signed nda type agreements).

His statement in this article supports what I said:

After eating his lunch and sitting down with the reporter and a copy of the story Nakamoto said that one key piece of evidence from the story, in which he is confronted about his involvement with Bitcoin and responds, “I am no longer involved in that and I cannot discuss it”, was incorrect, as he was only referring to his work in engineering
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/bitcoin-blunder-satoshi-nakamoto-denies-all-involvement-with-cryptocurrency-9176107.html

So did she quote him out of context to get the cover story for the newsweek relaunch, get attention for herself and justify the fee they paid her? Hmmmmmmmmm....

"I am not The Avenger"
1AthxGvreWbkmtTXed6EQfjXMXXdSG7dD6
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: