Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:42:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can IRS go after Sotoshi for unfiled income tax  (Read 939 times)
brucesewell (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:02:06 AM

Wow, just think about it how much money will go to Obama... Now IRS may have the best interest to keep Sotoshi safe, whoever he/she is.  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
retrend

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:04:18 AM

Saying as he hasn't earned any dollars from it, no.
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:07:43 AM

Wow, just think about it how much money will go to Obama... Now IRS may have the best interest to keep Sotoshi safe, whoever he/she is.  Smiley

How it has not been converted to FIAT so they have no way to get him for taxes.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
rat

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:08:11 AM

the only thing satoshi is being honest about is destroying his coins.

i really think he doesn't want to be associated with it.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:08:30 AM

Wow, just think about it how much money will go to Obama... Now IRS may have the best interest to keep Sotoshi safe, whoever he/she is.  Smiley

This as we can all verify that the Bitcoins have not moved no fiat gain means no taxes

EDIT: Sure they can go after Sotoshi no one knows who he is  Grin

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:08:32 AM

are you like 10 or something? asking such a basic question
jaybny

Activity: 410

Proof-of-Skill - protoblock.com

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 07:09:18 AM

mods.. shut OP!

Protoblock turns knowledge of American football into Fantasybit coin, a margin token used to monetize leveraged skill.

https://twitter.com/jaybny/status/1022596877332762624
AllAboutTheBenjaminsBaby

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:12:21 AM

Do you know what income is?
Bigeyeone

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:12:52 AM

as long as Satoshi does not sell his bitcoins for $ or does not buy goods with his bitcoins, the way i understand things from a blog of a US lawyer, he has not made capital gains according to the US tax code as he does not need to pay taxes

PMC: 19dNRVPcjsESqo8isdauc1gQ6PbUrAZor9
brucesewell (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:17:36 AM

But in theory, it is taxable income. Just like property tax, you will pay eventually. That is what I am saying, before Sotoshi pays, irs has the best interest to keep him safe.
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:22:09 AM

But in theory, it is taxable income. Just like property tax, you will pay eventually. That is what I am saying, before Sotoshi pays, irs has the best interest to keep him safe.

Eventually yes, if he even uses it.

I am not sure how all that tax stuff works like with stocks when you make profit off stocks and turn it into more stocks ect ect... the only real example I have from real life is the 401K which from my understanding is not taxable as long as the cash never hits your hands... so I imagine this would fall under the same rules.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
brucesewell (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:50:15 AM

Eventually yes, if he even uses it.

I am not sure how all that tax stuff works like with stocks when you make profit off stocks and turn it into more stocks ect ect... the only real example I have from real life is the 401K which from my understanding is not taxable as long as the cash never hits your hands... so I imagine this would fall under the same rules.

401k is created by the congress to set an exception to the general rule that all incomes are taxable. You can defer your payment of tax when you retire, so as to give you an incentive to be financially responsible for your retire life.

Bitcoin, if you treat it as intangible property, than there is no legal barrier for levying income tax when the income is realized. Even better, irs may pass a rule to realize bitcoin is income itself as it is currency in itself!
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:57:50 AM

At the current time short of a message from one of his accounts or a signed message from one of his keys there is no way to know for sure if he is Satoshi. Even if he was it would be hard for the government to force him to pay taxes on Bitcoin considering they cannot definitively prove he owns x amount of coins .
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:01:07 AM

as far as i know there's currently no tax on simply mining bitcoin and he would have to convert it to fiat first.

with that said.... if a guy in america gets half a billion dollars out of thin air. it wouldnt be shocking if the government suddenly said "hey you owe us money, pay us now!" .  The government is pretty greedy and tends to not like people making large sums of money without getting their cut, even if that person has never touched or used that money.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:04:17 AM

At the current time short of a message from one of his accounts or a signed message from one of his keys there is no way to know for sure if he is Satoshi. Even if he was it would be hard for the government to force him to pay taxes on Bitcoin considering they cannot definitively prove he owns x amount of coins .

good point. how do you make someone pay taxes on something you can prove is theirs.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
brucesewell (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:06:11 AM

This triggers another question. Can the government force to freeze any account if it has legitimate reason to believe that the account holder is a US citizen and therefore asks to build in the open source bitcoin client software certain rules to refuse to transact with the account until income is filed. Just like the hacked bitcoin from mtgox.

The bigger question is, is it desirable?
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:09:58 AM

The only way he would be flagged is if there were a ton of deposits for over 5k each that he could not write off.
brucesewell (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:12:35 AM

Unless the ecosystem around bitcoin is build, the owner eventually will need to exchange for fiat realize the fortune. So maybe government should track the account regardless who is behind the account.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: