Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:57:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbies... Be creative and curious! Its really that simple.  (Read 157 times)
Retty (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 47

View Profile
October 14, 2018, 06:07:10 PM

Ok, so the purpose of this post is educational and to stop you from wasting your own time.

Day after day, we see a lot of brand new members start out here posting these guides- very simple guides - about a lot of stuff beginners should know or learn. The harsh reality is that most of these 'guides' have been repeated umpteen times and i can guarantee i have seen the EXACT same guide here multiple times with the odd word that may have been changed.

So here is my guide bit of advice to change the way you start out here!  Wink

Simple guides

If you are considering doing a guide, i am sorry to tell you this but you are wasting your time. Unless its unique and genuinely helpful then great. But to give a guide on "what is Bitcoin" "what is a currency" etc etc, don't bother, its all been written before. People who have been here a while have seen this happen and can spot a plagiarised piece from a mile off. Then we check your post history and see the rest of your posts have been spam/garbage. If you are brand new here then the chances are you are perhaps trying to pull the wool over senior members eyes- its not going to happen guys.

Members are watching

Starting out here can be daunting. Its actually quite hard to introduce yourself and "mix in" with the crowd initially and write your first few posts.  For every piece that you write you will have eyes on what you have wrote, so make sure its worthy of reading and makes sense. Posts like "what is bitcoin price" and "when moon" and all the other shite you see on here will get you on peoples ignore lists straight away so just don't post it! Make relevant replies to topics you are interested in, look for the threads that interest you where you have an opportunity to have your say as you know something about it.

Starting Out

Please- don't start out here with a pointless or irrelevant post or you will get nowhere fast! Just use common sense. I know of a lot of members here who like to see people who actually make a bit of effort with their posts. It dosent have to be an essay, or absolutely perfect written English....just be you! Introduce yourself, ask questions, be curious, seek information. Personally, i like to see someones personality come out in their writing, thats when you know when someone is here for the right reasons!  Wink

To summarise, you do not have to reinvent the wheel to make a difference here. Just be yourself and fellow members will notice good and consistent content.

A lot of this might sound super simple, and it is just that. It just amazes me the amount of people who get off on the wrong foot here, so i think its important to highlight the fundamentals.

If you need any advice feel free to reach out!  Smiley
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Marshall14

Activity: 112
Merit: 20

View Profile
October 14, 2018, 07:59:15 PM

Ok, so the purpose of this post is educational and to stop you from wasting your own time.

Day after day, we see a lot of brand new members start out here posting these guides- very simple guides - about a lot of stuff beginners should know or learn. The harsh reality is that most of these 'guides' have been repeated umpteen times and i can guarantee i have seen the EXACT same guide here multiple times with the odd word that may have been changed.
You just reported a crime and went straight into commiting the very same offence..
This should be the 1000th thread on this same issue
Funny enough you acknowledged that fact,instead of making an epistle like thread about it again why not simply just comment your views on the already existing ones..

You're kinda like the guys who reports his neighbor to the police for loud music and turns on his stereo to the maximum volume to drown the noise
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2018, 08:52:35 PM

Simple guides

If you are considering doing a guide, i am sorry to tell you this but you are wasting your time. Unless its unique and genuinely helpful then great.

Sorry Retty, but you walk a very thin line between committing the offense you're preaching against (regurgitating information that's already been posting) and providing new content. Case in point is the statement above. Giving newbies the advice that if they want to write a guide in must only be unique and genuinely helpful you're doing them a disservice. This is where most newbies think their content is "OK", because "unique" and "genuinely helpful" are completely subjective qualities.

For this to be accurate your advice should state that any guide written by a newbie be completely new information, information that's NEVER been posted before (or at least not in the past 3 years). If a newbie provides completely new, never read before content than it might do a service to the community.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
October 14, 2018, 10:50:27 PM

Be creative and curious! Its really that simple. 

Though I agree with your title that this should be the mindset of beginners, goodluck getting them creative and curious if their main purpose here on bitcointalk is just for the bounties.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
logitechwow

Activity: 238
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 14, 2018, 11:00:47 PM

So here is my guide bit of advice to change the way you start out here!  Wink

Simple guides

If you are considering doing a guide, i am sorry to tell you this but you are wasting your time. Unless its unique and genuinely helpful then great. But to give a guide on "what is Bitcoin" "what is a currency" etc etc, don't bother, its all been written before. People who have been here a while have seen this happen and can spot a plagiarised piece from a mile off. Then we check your post history and see the rest of your posts have been spam/garbage. If you are brand new here then the chances are you are perhaps trying to pull the wool over senior members eyes- its not going to happen guys.

Members are watching

Starting out here can be daunting. Its actually quite hard to introduce yourself and "mix in" with the crowd initially and write your first few posts.  For every piece that you write you will have eyes on what you have wrote, so make sure its worthy of reading and makes sense. Posts like "what is bitcoin price" and "when moon" and all the other shite you see on here will get you on peoples ignore lists straight away so just don't post it! Make relevant replies to topics you are interested in, look for the threads that interest you where you have an opportunity to have your say as you know something about it.

Starting Out

Please- don't start out here with a pointless or irrelevant post or you will get nowhere fast! Just use common sense. I know of a lot of members here who like to see people who actually make a bit of effort with their posts. It dosent have to be an essay, or absolutely perfect written English....just be you! Introduce yourself, ask questions, be curious, seek information. Personally, i like to see someones personality come out in their writing, thats when you know when someone is here for the right reasons!  Wink

To summarise, you do not have to reinvent the wheel to make a difference here. Just be yourself and fellow members will notice good and consistent content.

A lot of this might sound super simple, and it is just that. It just amazes me the amount of people who get off on the wrong foot here, so i think its important to highlight the fundamentals.

If you need any advice feel free to reach out!  Smiley

Yes, there are a lot of articles about Bitcoin, and in general about beginner concepts about the blockchain.
I think that you need to enter 1 article about it all with the support of bitcointack moderation
Retty (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 47

View Profile
October 14, 2018, 11:05:42 PM

You just reported a crime and went straight into commiting the very same offence..
This should be the 1000th thread on this same issue
Funny enough you acknowledged that fact,instead of making an epistle like thread about it again why not simply just comment your views on the already existing ones..

You're kinda like the guys who reports his neighbor to the police for loud music and turns on his stereo to the maximum volume to drown the noise

I think your numbers are slightly exaggerated there!  Grin I obviously do not agree with you as you'd expect but you're entitled to your opinion. Trying to motivate people who are struggling to start out isn't necessarily a bad thing as opposed to reading something everyday that everyone already knows about 'what is bitcoin' etc etc.

Thanks for your assumption about me at the end too...classy!   Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: