Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:28:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is 51 Percent Attack This Easy?  (Read 106 times)
Newchanka (OP)

Activity: 291
Merit: 19

If there's something to be written...

View Profile
October 14, 2018, 08:51:44 PM

I came across this guy that planned and seemingly succeeded in launching a 51 percent attack streamed live. Is this really that simple? https://cryptoinfowatch.com/hacker-gains-70-percent-control-of-altcoin-in-51-percent-attack/

Just Think it, I'll Write it

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
October 14, 2018, 08:58:38 PM

I came across this guy that planned and seemingly succeeded in launching a 51 percent attack streamed live. Is this really that simple? https://cryptoinfowatch.com/hacker-gains-70-percent-control-of-altcoin-in-51-percent-attack/

If you can control 51% or more of the hashrate of a given coin then yes it's that easy.  The coins with lower market caps and lower hashrates are easier and get much harder the closer you get to the number one position.  It's not that big of a deal for the bigger coins though.
Newchanka (OP)

Activity: 291
Merit: 19

If there's something to be written...

View Profile
October 14, 2018, 09:11:22 PM

If you can control 51% or more of the hashrate of a given coin then yes it's that easy.  The coins with lower market caps and lower hashrates are easier and get much harder the closer you get to the number one position.  It's not that big of a deal for the bigger coins though.

If it really is that possible, I'm wondering why those coins are still standing. Why don't we hear more of these attacks?

Just Think it, I'll Write it
irenegaming

Activity: 476
Merit: 102

Kuvacash.com

View Profile
October 14, 2018, 09:14:13 PM

In the whitepaper of bitcoin this attack is explained quite a lot, bitcoin was only vulnerable to these attacks in the beginning when it was easy to dominate the hashrate, but now that the network has spread so much is practically impossible, because no matter how much a conglomerate tries to dominate the network, it is going to be difficult to extract making it more reasonable to mine to get profits than to do a meaningless attack

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: