Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:30:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: POINTS TO CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING A WALLET  (Read 336 times)
faceoff97 (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 113

View Profile
October 18, 2018, 01:56:07 AM

All statements are just based on what I have experience from using different kind of wallet. Hopefully, this would help you get informed and decide what wallet is worth to choose. Choosing a wallet is really an important decision on getting started in your journey with crypto investment.

Here are some points to consider when choosing a wallet:

1.   Security Application. What is the technology behind the wallet?
2.   Simplicity. Is it user friendly? Can I store multiple kind of coins?
3.   Cost. Is it free? Will the transaction fee will cost me much?
4.   Back up Feature. Is it safe against malicious software?

Open Source Technology
   Wallet should be having an open source technology, the risk for potential vulnerability can be fixed quickly since the code are allowed to be publicly viewed. Open source wallets are important; this keeps you from being tricked from malicious websites. Most well-known multi wallet like Coinomi, Exodus or Jaxx – are not Open Source. When a wallet is not open source, you cannot verify the security of your assets instead just trust that the third party has good intention. But personally, I would choose a wallet that holds the saying “Don’t Trust, Verify!”.

Simplicity
   A wallet should be user friendly, a user with no tech background could and should easily use it for sending and receiving cryptocurrency right after downloading it. A better wallet also supports large number of coins and tokens, making it suited to the needs of everyone whatever cryptocurrencies they prefer to use.

SEGWIT supported

Segwit or Segregated Witness, is an alternative transaction format allows transaction sized to be reduced, and therefore also reduced fee and increased transaction speed. A wallet is better if segwit supported, it changes the way in which information is stored on the blockchain.

Secure Backup
A wallet should allow you to have a feature which restore a wallet without having to type in your seed – the password will be enough, and the QR code of the seed doesn’t even need to be displayed on the screen of your device. This can provide a line of defense against malicious software trying to capture the screen of your computer or smartphone.

The above are just few to consider when choosing a wallet. if you consider to look for a wallet having features that were mentioned, you may consider to check out what HODLER wallet is:  https://hodler.tech
HODLER wallet is a Fullu open source multiwallet that gives you the simplicity and security a wallet could offer.

Wyne

Activity: 531
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 18, 2018, 10:16:53 AM

I agree on this, wallet should really offer great security and as much as possible giving you all the control over your funds. I never heard a multiwallet that is having open source technology, the Hodler wallet is interesting.
faceoff97 (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2018, 10:39:48 AM
Last edit: October 25, 2018, 11:00:49 PM by faceoff97

I agree on this, wallet should really offer great security and as much as possible giving you all the control over your funds. I never heard a multiwallet that is having open source technology, the Hodler wallet is interesting.

Yes, we have to be free from trusted thrid party. We deserve a wallet that offers simplicity and security at the same time. You might consider to look at Hodler wallet in this site: https://hodler.tech/?lang=en
It is the only multi wallet having fully open source feature.
pinoy.bolanon

Activity: 350
Merit: 10

"In CryptoEnergy we trust"

View Profile
October 18, 2018, 10:46:27 AM

I agree on this statement, wallet should be more secured and user friendly, this is one of the best thing to considered in choosing and storing the coins and tokens, although different wallets have their own security and advantages. I still prefer web wallets like MEW rather than choosing hardware wallets, because i feel like if im gonna lose the hardware wallet, then its the end of everything.

┈┈┈┈┈ VECTORIUM ┈┈┈┈┈
In CryptoEnergy we trust
┈┈┈┈┈ MEDIUMTWITTERTELEGRAM ┈┈┈┈┈
YuriiD

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2018, 10:49:52 AM

The most important thing is security. That's crucial.
It must be user friendly, everything must be simple.
Also I like when I can store different cryptos, so multycurrency wallet is my choice;)
faceoff97 (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2018, 10:55:38 AM

I agree on this statement, wallet should be more secured and user friendly, this is one of the best thing to considered in choosing and storing the coins and tokens, although different wallets have their own security and advantages. I still prefer web wallets like MEW rather than choosing hardware wallets, because i feel like if im gonna lose the hardware wallet, then its the end of everything.

Yes! That is a good point, both hardware and web wallet has the advantage. There were also mobile application that has good security feature like what I am using which is HODLER wallet. The wallet gives full control over the fund Unlike well known wallets like jaxx and samurai which is not open source wallet this don't give us the total assurance that our funds are safe since there is still thrid party involve. On the other hand, MEW wallet is good but only token and not other like coins can be stored to it. Hodler is a multi wallet so user can have whatever coin he prefer even ERC20 token, this wallet offers simplicity, userfriendly feature and security at the same time.
igor.vanyutin.83

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 18, 2018, 11:44:36 AM

Thanks for the info. I hope it will help a lot of newbies to choose the right wallet. But if you are careful with your private key, you can use the simple MEW. It is a great and very comfortable wallet. You can also buy a Ledger if you want to be more safe.
Invest-or

Activity: 322
Merit: 20

View Profile
October 18, 2018, 11:57:21 AM

At the end of the day, is much more about how much crypto do you own and if it makes any sense to spend your time and money protecting it. If you hold 500 usd you don´t need anything really
YuriiD

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2018, 12:07:51 PM

At the end of the day, is much more about how much crypto do you own and if it makes any sense to spend your time and money protecting it. If you hold 500 usd you don´t need anything really
Security is still important. If you hold only $500, you don't want them to be stolen
kingzpro

Activity: 756
Merit: 13

DIFX - Digital Finacial Exchange

View Profile
October 18, 2018, 12:17:55 PM

Personally im happy with coinbase for btc and myetherwallet for both eth and all other eth based tokens and both of them have been hassle free for me, i have not seen anything negative but i do think that in coming years a universal wallet that can store all the blockchains and tokens should be introduced for ease and adoption.

Georgiyk

Activity: 504

View Profile
October 18, 2018, 12:34:08 PM

The most important factor when choosing a wallet is security. Then I look at ease of use and convenience. Used MEW, but it was hacked, and I was disappointed.

══════‎ஐ═ ஐOUTOFTHECLOUD.COM GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE CLOUDஐ═ ஐ══════
═══════╣PRESALE starts on August 10 ║ ICO starts on September 10╠═══════
══════‎ஐ═‎ஐFACEBOOK  TWITTER  GITHUB  TELEGRAM  YOUTUBE  MEDIUMஐ═ஐ══════
andthereyou

Activity: 616
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 18, 2018, 12:54:06 PM

It goes without saying that the safest wallet is hardware wallet. It cost 100$ or less which might also expensive depending on each person view but it's better safe than sorry.
faceoff97 (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2018, 05:06:51 PM

Thanks for the info. I hope it will help a lot of newbies to choose the right wallet. But if you are careful with your private key, you can use the simple MEW. It is a great and very comfortable wallet. You can also buy a Ledger if you want to be more safe.

There is no denying that my etherwallet is a good wallet since it offers the ability to hold multiple kind of token making a wallet more simple and userfriendly. Though it is a multiple token wallet, it can't still hold other kind of coin which require user to have multiple kind of wallet. There were wallets like Hodler wallet that can hold multiple kind of coins and Erc20 token, this wallet could also offer same security Myether wallet can offer. Coins such as BCH, BTC, LTC and the like can be hold all at the same time, making user have the ease of using the wallet.
leea-1334

Activity: 2268
Merit: 953

Temporary forum vacation

View Profile
October 18, 2018, 05:15:23 PM

Everybody will agree security is the paramount, but guys,,, why is no one saying what this means? For me #1 wallet security issue is simple. It lets me use my own private keys and never stores it anywhere. Yes, this means if I lose it forever, nobody can help me. But that is the whole point of cryptocurrency is it not? I do not care for other features. Private keys is mine only.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.....I AM BLACKJACK.FUN.....
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Ojengonggu

Activity: 756
Merit: 105

Trphy.io

View Profile
October 18, 2018, 10:31:47 PM

in addition to the above mentioned ease of accessing the wallet as supported by the android application is the most supportive thing because we can see and control our assets everywhere

milewilda
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 1130

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 11:53:03 AM

Everybody will agree security is the paramount, but guys,,, why is no one saying what this means? For me #1 wallet security issue is simple. It lets me use my own private keys and never stores it anywhere. Yes, this means if I lose it forever, nobody can help me. But that is the whole point of cryptocurrency is it not? I do not care for other features. Private keys is mine only.
You dont care on other wallet features? like GUI, Fees, Active devs. You are just basically talking to one stuff.

in addition to the above mentioned ease of accessing the wallet as supported by the android application is the most supportive thing because we can see and control our assets everywhere
Its a must and i do prefer on having a mobile application yet most people nowadays do have their mobile phones which even if we are away from our pc we can able
to check out our assets conveniently.

Beparanf

Activity: 2772
Merit: 761

Burpaaa

View Profile
October 20, 2018, 08:56:44 AM

Security and accessibility, it should have 2FA for authenticity as well can be access anywhere, much better if it offers more features like as payment too.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
hidrocop

Activity: 630
Merit: 267

View Profile
October 20, 2018, 09:29:07 AM

Security for the wallet is really important, but as we know, software-based wallets are vulnerable. So most important is to use a hardware-based wallet
sunsilk

Activity: 2926
Merit: 620

View Profile
October 20, 2018, 11:33:31 AM

Those points are good to consider but we have different views on how to choose a wallet. I'd rather go with the wallet that is being use by the community and has proven its reputation on how they are good for securing and maintaining the wallet itself.

All in all its about on how they handle and improve their security after being caught something is vulnerable. In data security, its the most expensive part of the system and that's why these hardware wallets cost up to $100. I'm welcoming new wallets that can prove themselves like the one you endorsed.

Findingnemo

Activity: 2338
Merit: 761

Bitcoin = Financial freedom

View Profile
October 20, 2018, 03:08:03 PM

• How long you are going to store in your wallet?
  • How much the coins will be stored?
  • multiple coins or one particular coins
  • Ready to spend $100 for hardware wallets?

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███