Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:29:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet safety?  (Read 1733 times)
buttekavt (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 10:36:28 AM

Is it safe to manage multiple bitcoin wallets from one pc?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ispep

Activity: 154
Merit: 24

The future of security tokens

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 11:21:36 AM

As long as you and you alone is privy to informations on your PC and privy to your PC's password,then I think you should be pretty safe with it, the thing is, most times big time traders/investors dedicate a particular device for storing informantions and wallets regarding their investments,if you sure have enough capital for that,its a rather safe bet.

But just know that whatever you do make sure you keep your private keys PRIVATE!!!
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2018, 11:27:06 AM
Merited by dbshck (3), Reid (1), DdmrDdmr (1)

I'm a longtime member, and even i have 3 or 4 electrum wallets on my PC (i seldomly use them tough, i've switched to hardware wallets a long time ago)... I guess it all depends on you:
  • Do you run a recent version of your OS
  • Do you download unknown programs from unknown sources
  • Do you open email attachments
  • Do you have a recent firewall installed
  • Do you have an up-to-data virusscanner
  • Do you install OS updates/patches on a regular basis
  • Do you tell other people you hold BTC?

In general, if you keep a small amount of BTC on a pc with an up-to-date OS, virusscanner and well configured firewall, and you don't install unknown programs or open unkown emails, you should be relatively* fine... Even if you have multiple wallets on your pc.
There is a bit of a discussion about which OS is the safest. Personally, i think that *nix OS's are safer out-of-the box AND are safer if they're hardened by a seasoned user. But in case you don't know anything about *nix and you do have some experience managing windoze boxes, you might be better off sticking to microsoft products instead of trying to configure an OS you're unfamiliar with...

If you hold a bigger value in crypto currencies and/or you don't think you have the experience/will to run a tight system, you might be better off with one of the following methods:

• A hardware wallet
  • A properly generated (bip38 encrypted) paper wallet
  • An (encrypted) offline/cold wallet on an airgapped PC

*relatively fine: in the past, security flaws have been found in popular, opensource wallets... So as long as you run your wallet on a pc that is connected to the internet, you're never 99.9% safe.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Dwey

Activity: 251
Merit: 20

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 11:34:21 AM

As long as you and you alone is privy to informations on your PC and privy to your PC's password,then I think you should be pretty safe with it, the thing is, most times big time traders/investors dedicate a particular device for storing informantions and wallets regarding their investments,if you sure have enough capital for that,its a rather safe bet.

But just know that whatever you do make sure you keep your private keys PRIVATE!!!
I agree, as long as your personal wallet info doesn't get lost you should be good, the most important thing to know is when you have your digital wallet don't ever ever loose your private key or else say goodbye to you wallet.
Herbys

Activity: 238
Merit: 6

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 11:40:49 AM

There are always risks if you use a wallet on a PC that is used to surf the Internet.

I recommend buying a separate tablet computer, only for cryptocurrency wallets.
tikaka

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 11:45:08 AM

I think yes, being a bitcoin investor I always wanted to be safe, especially my wallet. I always divide my bitcoin  send  many other wallets and save it to my computer. Such storage saves me time each time I want to check my wallet. I keep my password and send the necessary information to gmail.

131tc01n

Activity: 569
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 11:48:35 AM

I feel safe, just as long as you can take good care of the state of your device, keep your wallet in cold storage so that it is not easily attacked by malware or other viruses that might damage or steal your data, do maintenance regularly
davis196

Activity: 2968
Merit: 913

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 12:19:12 PM

Yes,it's safe as long as you use strong passwords and keep your private keys.
You can change your current OS to Linux and download the Sandboxie software or a decent malware scanner program,like Malwarebytes.

funchiestz

Activity: 1134
Merit: 342

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 12:29:00 PM

You can change your current OS to Linux and download the Sandboxie software or a decent malware scanner program,like Malwarebytes.

This subject is important. The Linux operating system has no virus definition. In other words, it is safer than other OSs because the computer does not run viruses.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2018, 12:34:25 PM
Merited by dbshck (2)

This subject is important. The Linux operating system has no virus definition. In other words, it is safer than other OSs because the computer does not run viruses.

That's an urban legend: https://www.linux.com/learn/myth-busting-linux-immune-viruses
Linux is not immune to virusses, however it's security model is built in a different way than window's security model, next to this the amount of desktops running linux is smaller than the amount of desktops running windows (so a virus writer will be tempted to write a windows virus instead of a linux one because a windows virus can do more damage due to the amount of potential victims)

Also, AFAIK, both sandboxie and malwarebytes only have windows binaries available, it's no use to tell somebody to switch to linux AND use sandboxie or malwarebytes

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
giantrobot

Activity: 564

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 12:35:48 PM

I think that is possible. I do the same as you. As long as your PC is secure, with security, firewall. And above all, it's your PC that's not lost.
In addition, I recommend using MacOS, it will protect your wallet more secure than Windows.
Babyrica0226

Activity: 854
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 01:08:03 PM

I think that's fine, as long as you keep safe your private key, password, seed phrase word everything will be fine. Just always make some back

up then save also to your usb or paper wallet or cold wallet just like Electrum this was a good example wallet to store up your bitcoins mate.
rudox

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 01:17:24 PM

For safety reason it is not advisable to put all your egg in a basket. Using  a computer for all your wallet exposes you to a loss which will be colossal once the account or wallet  is compromised. So you have to keep some of your information in a separate place than having all of then lumped in one computer or any other storing system. You can still create your own off line data bank and kept it off the office may be at home. What is this offline data bank, mere personal journal can be your offline data bank where you will carefully write down your wallet address and safely keep it.
Marcel555

Activity: 252
Merit: 4

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 01:19:08 PM

I don't see a problem having multiple bitcoin wallets stored on one PC. So long as you have insured the safety of your assets you can comfortably put them all in one place.

Some may argue that it's best to diversify should one or the other be hacked.
I don't see the need as long as you can maintain the top level of safety and security on one storage option.
Jateng

Activity: 1264
Merit: 148

Think Different

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 01:19:21 PM

I think it is okay as long as your pc is secure. Using different pcs or laptop for every different wallet is useless if the pc or tgmhe laptop is not safe. Me, I have coinsph, mew, waves account, etc and yes I am opening those account in my pc and that is only one. So far, I am happy, nothing bad happen to my coins and my accounts.

John5826

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2018, 01:35:56 PM

I can manage all pasword dont disclose any other person and Use one pc.
Thyristor

Activity: 471

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 01:37:10 PM

I think yes, being a bitcoin investor I always wanted to be safe, especially my wallet. I always divide my bitcoin  send  many other wallets and save it to my computer. Such storage saves me time each time I want to check my wallet. I keep my password and send the necessary information to gmail.
I'm very satisfied to used mobile Electroneum wallet, i'm too afraid to used PC wallet because sometimes my wallet affected by malware if i'm regularly used "Kaspersky Internet Security" why your all information stored in gmail at any time you are attacked by the hackers because and if unfortunately your gmail will be hacked when you lost everything. Offline store i mean printing store always the best safety.
Gabri

Activity: 856

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 01:59:37 PM

Never, remember-never work on a machine where your wallets are stored under an Administrator account. Any OS is susceptible to viruses, even if it's a UNIX system. Never save passwords in browsers, all that Google knows-everyone knows. All keys from purses keep on USB flash drive and not on hard disk. Wallet.dat move all the same. Do not spare the money and buy a hardware wallet ($99 is not such a big price, but all your coins will be with you ) do not shout at every corner, forum, blog, social network, etc.that you are engaged in cryptocurrency. If possible, then all your wallets run on another computer that has limited access to the Internet (I have a separate PC and a router Mikrotik, on which I banned all ports, except for the ones I need ) Paranoia about security can be further developed, but the examples that I gave are elementary.
mmo_online_1981

Activity: 798

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 02:06:42 PM

If you have a large amount of Bitcoin and altcoin then using the same on a PC will be risky! Make a split and use a cold wallet safely
abhi777

Activity: 457

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 03:22:22 PM

I feel very comfortable using a wallet with the reason that it is very safe to save money on investments. and only we know how to open the wallet because it is filled with very tight security.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: