Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:10:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain games for Dummies  (Read 138 times)
btc_love (OP)

Activity: 566
Merit: 13

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 11:10:18 AM

If you don’t know what is a blockchain game - welcome to my club. I was always confused hearing or reading something about such games.

The first Idea that came to my mind when I’ve heard about blockchain games for the first time was that all the blockchain games are gambling. And I was wrong.

So I decided to look into the situation and explain to everyone what blockchain games mean.

The first thing I learned is that all blockchain games are instances of DApps, or decentralized apps (though not all dapps are games!). As decentralized gaming apps, blockchain games are open source, decentralized and distributed.

The second - many blockchain games feature NFTs (non-fungible, or ERC-721 tokens; see below) or some in-game ERC-20 currency – sometimes both. All blockchain games include at some point payments with the cryptocurrency that is native to their host blockchain, the most popular being ETH.

What is next? I wanted to know how I can play these game. I could not understand what I should do. Maybe I had to trade or mine or whatever. But here’s the deal.

Most blockchain games iterate over certain schemes. You might have heard of the most popular ones: apps for collecting and breeding characters, apps that add battles and item crafting to the collectibles scheme, idle games in which you sit back and watch your character progress through levels, and good old fashioned gambling games.

Ok, cool. Now everything is clear... Not yet, actually.

What I really wanted to know is how do blockchain games work. I bet you want to know that too. That is what I’ve learned.

Blockchain games are open source applications that run on open blockchains. They are decentralized: their data and the records of their operations are not stored in one central server, but on all the nodes on the blockchain's network. Thus it makes blockchain games safer that usual video games: all your data and items you bought are under protection.

That’s all folks!
Hope I helped you to learn something new today!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: