Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:40:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing/Building CGMiner and BFGMiner in Windows 8.1 Questions  (Read 989 times)
dmatthewstewart (OP)

Activity: 439
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:41:19 PM

Hey guys,

Ive been running my cgminer and bfgminer on Ubuntu and Mint for a while now. Ive had Windows 8.1 on my recent gaming PC and wanted to install the two on that machine as well. However, and this is important, I am wondering if anyone else has built either one of these miners on 8.1 and if they have experienced any problems in doing so. I did not attempt to install them right away bc at the time, 8.1 was brand new and I wanted to give devs time to work out any kinks. I would like to use this box for mining because I can use MSI Afterburner whereas on any of the Linux OS's Im stuck running cards either hot or not to their full capacity.

So here are my questions/concerns:

1) Are there any common problems with installing cgminer (I may install bfgminer as well) on Windows 8.1?

2) Has anyone had any problems with any of the programs, drivers, or anything else interferring with any games or the necessary dependencies required to run games? If so, I do not want to risk it. My system runs too perfect and I dont want to ruin anything.

Thanks in advance

delphs

Activity: 252

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:45:56 PM

I'm on Windows 8.1 and cgminer and sgminer have been running perfectly fine without a glitch for me.

BTC: 1JB4Gq82DM3WUsdkU3TPzU2haFbxCJgJss / WC: WT8gbDPdQUcjDq6gWg9N7w3q4AazUAy3g7 / WDC: WkzvC4YVC3nCzDW9BhFLtWk7YJhtgXQR6G / Addie: delphs Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=397706.0
dmatthewstewart (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 07:58:31 PM

Quote from: delphs
[/quote

Ok, great. Thanks. My only problem now is figuring out my Windows DOS commands. Since I've only used a Linux terminal my whole life I am only familiar with that. Actually, thats not enirely true. I think I used Windows DOS/command line input when I was in middle school in a computer class. But just like everything from those days, I did not retain anything

FoBoT

Activity: 658

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 08:01:23 PM

i run five rigs with windows 8 , no problems , in fact , i have had much less problems with AMD drivers and cgminer and sgminer than i did on win 7
dmatthewstewart (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 10:32:55 PM

So...cgminer and sgminer will never fully start up and display the program in my terminal window. I can get sgminer to start mining (x11) and I am getting almost 100% invalid shares.

I guess I need an walkthrough on how to install and run these miners. Not sure what Im doing wrong. Even trying to run an out-of-the-box mining OS is not working. And I had previously run that one before. Anyone have a sttep-by-step for someone with close to no experience with Windows?

i run five rigs with windows 8 , no problems , in fact , i have had much less problems with AMD drivers and cgminer and sgminer than i did on win 7

did you just install sgminer/cgminer, change your BAT file, and then start mining? Ive set every possible thread-concurrency, intensity, powertune, etc.

Running with Catalyst 14.12 but I went through the 13 Drivers as well with the same results. If no one has a link to an idiot's walkthrough or any suggestions I'll probably just go back to Linux. Ive never had a miner not work on Linux. But since Ive had to spend most of my time sitting in front of a Windows rig lately I really wanted to get this working.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: