Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:12:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: China Launching an Artificial Moon  (Read 538 times)
mixail.BTC

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2018, 05:47:41 PM

Some people are worried about global warming... China is trying to reflect more sunlight onto the planet at night... brilliant

I think the reflected light will not have a significant impact on teperatury. Yes, and with a sufficient amount of reflected natural light, you can save on electricity.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Goodvalony

Activity: 616
Merit: 16

View Profile
October 25, 2018, 08:42:37 PM
Merited by OgNasty (1)

Africa needs such technology. we have the Money. China should run such a test project like that in Africa.  Natural source of energy has been our surviving Hope down here.
Blackstar015

Activity: 57

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 12:04:24 AM

Interesting! Would this moon capable of giving lights all over the world?
SnowAugustine

Activity: 140
Merit: 5

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 06:14:06 PM

China most probably did not even consider other creatures into consideration when they made this decision to do this. Not everyone sleeps at night. Not everyone sleeps in the morning. There are animals who thrive in the darkness. Humans being self-centered and selfish as usual.
Emily_Davis

Activity: 71

View Profile
October 27, 2018, 03:45:14 PM

Crazy times, indeed. Unless this artificial moon will shine only in China, I don't think it's such a good idea. Plus, of all the things they could spend they AI funds on, they chose an artificial moon? What were they thinking?
coin8coin8

Activity: 168
Merit: 47

False Moon

View Profile
October 27, 2018, 04:36:26 PM

Crazy times, indeed. Unless this artificial moon will shine only in China, I don't think it's such a good idea. Plus, of all the things they could spend they AI funds on, they chose an artificial moon? What were they thinking?

In fact, this technology is of little use to real life. I think China is doing this to show the world its space technology. Similarly, their ambitious moon landing plan is also for this purpose.
Of course, if China finds some kind of resources on the moon, things will get interesting.
As far as I know, there are abundant iron ore and strontium-rich soil on the moon. this may be their purpose of exploring the moon.
Although I am against the use of the moon's resources, maybe one day we have to use them.

Loser
LickKing

Activity: 420
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 28, 2018, 05:17:01 AM

I mean, it's still a crazy idea, but not quite as crazy as one might expect for something conceived of by a Bond villain.

What about a giant magnifying glass instead of a mirror?  They could aim it at people and burn them like ants or aim them at solar panels!

If there is such a weapon, I think it might be stupid because you only need a mirror to reflect its energy and destroy it with reflected light.
You are very smart. This is just a scientific contribution made by a certain country to human beings. Only those who are inferior to the inferior will think that this is a weapon and maliciously create the Chinese threat theory. This is obviously done by the Americans. The United States is aware of its decline and the rise of the East, but no one can stop it. Be aware that the East has more influence on the world. There are many powerful countries here. Japan, Russia, China, Vietnam.

Luke_Turner

Activity: 76
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 29, 2018, 05:39:37 PM

Astronomy Magazine recently published a post why this artificial moon wouldn't work, and one of the biggest challenges that it poses is that it wouldn't be able to stay in place. Also, China has to consider whether people do want it or not, plus, it might have an effect on nocturnal animals. Did China ever consider that? With a budget solely for AI like China has, you'd think they'll come up with something worthwhile. I don't think this is it. Plus, what if it backfired? I'm not ready to live down the movie Geostorm.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18510

View Profile
October 29, 2018, 08:14:06 PM

New details have emerged: http://www.astronomy.com/news/2018/10/why-chinas-artificial-moon-probably-wont-work

First of all, it's not "China" as in the Chinese Government or the China National Space Administration, but one random Chinese researcher. Also, an associate professor of aerospace engineering at the University of Texas has confirmed my initial post: it's simply not possible. An orbit at 300miles moves far too fast to light up a city for any appreciable length of time, and a geosynchronous orbit is too far away to light up anything.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
October 30, 2018, 04:33:36 AM

Also, an associate professor of aerospace engineering at the University of Texas has confirmed my initial post: it's simply not possible. An orbit at 300miles moves far too fast to light up a city for any appreciable length of time, and a geosynchronous orbit is too far away to light up anything.
Thanks for that, it's been a while since I've heard such nonsense from a professor of hard science.

Quote from: Prof. Ryan Russell
The article I read implied you could hover a satellite over a particular city, which of course is not possible.
I'd very much like to see this article. No article I've read on the subject says any such thing.

Quote from: Unsourced assertion implied but not actually stated to be from a "satellite expert"
At a distance of just 300 miles the moon would whip around the Earth at thousands of miles per hour, beaming its light on any one place for only a fraction of a second.
Yeah, that's why the Hubble telescope pictures were all blurry until they realised how easy it is to adjust the satellite's rotation speed to track a moving target. Roll Eyes

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
custard7

Activity: 33
Merit: 5

View Profile
October 30, 2018, 04:30:09 PM

I'm only opposed to the artificial aspect of this moon. I want to launch an all-natural, non-GMO, organic, locally sourced, whole-motherfriggen-wheat Moon. It's just wrong to launch that kind of chem-trail leaking piece of plastic. Think of the children.
Christopher_Hayes

Activity: 68

View Profile
October 31, 2018, 02:52:27 PM

Crazy times indeed. What was China thinking? I'm curious to know how they think we need a second, artificial moon. They've got big budget for AI, why not use it to prevent global warming? Or clean the ocean? Crazy times, indeed.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: