Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 02:41:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum IPO reboot coming, time to get nervous about the future of crypto  (Read 11823 times)
claimore

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:08:10 PM

Time to be scared if you are on the IPO.
CoinRocka

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:12:46 PM

What if bitcoin really is just an experiment?  Success/gains in the experiment afforded you the key or opportunity to buy Ether.

Its nice to dream isn't it?   Cool
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:17:44 PM

Every contract on the Ethereum blockchain (or bitcoin blockchain) can be enforced by the blockchain itself. If you have read that page, I struggle to see how you can't grasp that. Men with guns aren't required. There is no ambiguity in blockchain contracts.

Whether we are talking bitcoin, Nxt or Ethereum, if a contract involves external information or requires external action, then it cannot be enforced in a trustless manner by the network.  The majority of contracts that would be useful to me involve external information or action, so something like Gavin's Oracle idea is more appealing than something like Nxt or Ethereum.  

For example, it would be useful to write unbreakable contacts based on the market price of bitcoin, but this is not possible to do in a trustless way on any platform.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
gustav

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:35:35 PM

Investing in Ethereum is a good for its investors because if it works, it will likely swallow up every coin out there - including bitcoin. Why? Because it is a far more powerful proposition than anything else that exists right now.

no, it won't. You didn't read the disclaimer. It'll collapse if the token becomes too expensive.

TOS:
"19.15 Risk of Rapid Adoption and Insufficiency of Computational Application Processing Power on the Ethereum Network

If the Ethereum Platform is rapidly adopted, the demand for transaction processing and distributed application computations could rise dramatically and at a pace that exceeds the rate with which ETH miners can bring online additional mining power. Under such a scenario, the entire Ethereum Platform could become destabilized, due to the increased cost of running distributed applications. In turn, this could dampen interest in the Ethereum Project and ETH.

Insufficiency of computational resources and an associated rise in the price of ETH could result in businesses being unable to acquire scarce computational resources to run their distributed applications. This would represent revenue losses to businesses or worst case, cause businesses to cease operations because such operations have become uneconomical due to distortions in the crypto-economy."

you guys don't even read this stuff! If it is too expensive it'll be unusable. If you want to go to the moon stick to bitcoin, very simple. Ether is just a freakin' experiment. Have fun betatesting and reporting bugs.
bitjoint

Activity: 333

Commander of the Hodl Legions

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 11:38:04 AM

you guys don't even read this stuff! If it is too expensive it'll be unusable. If you want to go to the moon stick to bitcoin, very simple. Ether is just a freakin' experiment. Have fun betatesting and reporting bugs.

Of course it is just an experiment! just like bitcoin... lol

I supported bitcoin when it was a joke (and a libertarian dream), and turned out pretty well... Why shouldn't I support ethereum when it is a joke (and a libertarian dream)? For some of us it is not about the money, it is about supporting the evolution of blockchain technologies.
slaveforanunnak1

Activity: 743
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 05:48:56 PM

Of course it is just an experiment! just like bitcoin... lol

I supported bitcoin when it was a joke (and a libertarian dream), and turned out pretty well... Why shouldn't I support ethereum when it is a joke (and a libertarian dream)? For some of us it is not about the money, it is about supporting the evolution of blockchain technologies.

Thaaaank you. The fucked up part is that these comments are from so called crypto fans. Lol

All i know is that they are working hard on all angles on this.

https://github.com/ethereum/cpp-ethereum/releases

marcelus

Activity: 297

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 12:33:29 PM

Investing in Ethereum is a good for its investors because if it works, it will likely swallow up every coin out there - including bitcoin. Why? Because it is a far more powerful proposition than anything else that exists right now.

Proof?

I raised plausibility questions some time ago and nobody has answered them yet. It seems you can explain what the main technical benefit of Ethereum is.

The main benefit? It extends blockchain technology to a whole raft of different use cases. The possibilities are endless.
marcelus

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 12:35:25 PM

no, it won't. You didn't read the disclaimer. It'll collapse if the token becomes too expensive.

TOS:
"19.15 Risk of Rapid Adoption and Insufficiency of Computational Application Processing Power on the Ethereum Network

If the Ethereum Platform is rapidly adopted, the demand for transaction processing and distributed application computations could rise dramatically and at a pace that exceeds the rate with which ETH miners can bring online additional mining power. Under such a scenario, the entire Ethereum Platform could become destabilized, due to the increased cost of running distributed applications. In turn, this could dampen interest in the Ethereum Project and ETH.

Insufficiency of computational resources and an associated rise in the price of ETH could result in businesses being unable to acquire scarce computational resources to run their distributed applications. This would represent revenue losses to businesses or worst case, cause businesses to cease operations because such operations have become uneconomical due to distortions in the crypto-economy."

I have read it. This problem applies to bitcoin and every other coin. A coins use value is only as good as its network allows.
marcelus

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 12:36:40 PM

The IPO is for a fixed amount of days. The amount of Ether created is exactly equal to the amount demanded by investors. Its market cap will be what the market decides. The Ethereum developers have zero say in this.  

Good luck to the investors then.

they are not 'investors' - they are buyers of a product. It was made very clear by the ethereum-guys that no gains should be expected.

the thing that hurts is: the btc you throw at them will probably be worth 3 times what they are now by the time ethereum is MAYBE released.
If i was a buyer of ethereum i would not expect to get more btc back. If you bought eth with the goal of making more btc then i have bad news for you.

The Ethereum people have been very careful with the words the use not to raise the ire of regulators. The fact remains that somebody who buys Ether today is investing in its future and is thus an investor.
Baitty

Activity: 532

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 12:40:57 PM

The IPO is for a fixed amount of days. The amount of Ether created is exactly equal to the amount demanded by investors. Its market cap will be what the market decides. The Ethereum developers have zero say in this.  

Good luck to the investors then.

they are not 'investors' - they are buyers of a product. It was made very clear by the ethereum-guys that no gains should be expected.

the thing that hurts is: the btc you throw at them will probably be worth 3 times what they are now by the time ethereum is MAYBE released.
If i was a buyer of ethereum i would not expect to get more btc back. If you bought eth with the goal of making more btc then i have bad news for you.

The Ethereum people have been very careful with the words the use not to raise the ire of regulators. The fact remains that somebody who buys Ether today is investing in its future and is thus an investor.

Who ever has invested in it should be looking to get out of it as soon as its profitable as there has been a lot of discussion about the issues with this alt coin otherwise they are going to get burned and lose a lot of money.

Baitty

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 12:44:20 PM

For anyone who would like to read a bit more about this cons of this project see here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=707237.new#new

Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 08:15:00 PM

Actually, I think they're more worried about lawsuits. In the regular ol' business world, that's why organizations lawyer up. Classic case in point: insurance companies. Cheesy

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 08:26:32 PM

I don't like how they are selling Ether for BTC when there's no Ether blockchain or coins.  Lots of hype around this "platform", same goes for Storj, lots of show with little being delivered.  Right now, all these are just sleight of hand tricks to crowdfund without calling it crowdfunding.

Hey, give me a bunch of BTC because I just made a slick video about how I'm going to disrupt conventional application delivery!

Ugh...
Nullu

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 08:31:45 PM

Too much hype for my tastes. Where's the developers? Where's the news articles?

It all sounds good on paper, but if nobody knows about it, and nobody will use it, your Ether is worth pennies. Perhaps you should speak to some actual developers and find out what they think of Ether, rather than assume developers are somehow going to appear out of thin air to use the platform.

As I've said before, Ethereum is a product that sounds good to investors. Use your damn head.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
LucyLovesCrypto

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 08:32:10 PM

I think valuation is the main issue here
thrax

Activity: 253
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 08:50:31 PM

I don't like how they are selling Ether for BTC when there's no Ether blockchain or coins.  Lots of hype around this "platform", same goes for Storj, lots of show with little being delivered.  Right now, all these are just sleight of hand tricks to crowdfund without calling it crowdfunding.

Hey, give me a bunch of BTC because I just made a slick video about how I'm going to disrupt conventional application delivery!

Ugh...

All the current "IPO's" seem to be offering nothing but promises. Buying them is a big gamble and I almost took the risk, but decided it was placing to much trust in just a promise they would produce something great.
bitjoint

Activity: 333

Commander of the Hodl Legions

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 12:04:47 AM

Where's the developers? Where's the news articles?

You are just trolling... there's a working testnet and there are hundreds of devs with awesome projects that are impossible to implement with a blockchain 1.0 tech like bitcoin.
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 01:02:02 AM

I don't like how they are selling Ether for BTC when there's no Ether blockchain or coins.  Lots of hype around this "platform", same goes for Storj, lots of show with little being delivered.  Right now, all these are just sleight of hand tricks to crowdfund without calling it crowdfunding.

Ugh...

All the current "IPO's" seem to be offering nothing but promises. Buying them is a big gamble and I almost took the risk, but decided it was placing to much trust in just a promise they would produce something great.

Same risk as any other IPO, imho.  The difference is the reward is far less.  Ethereum at $10 to $30 million starting capitalization can only go up so much unless some miracle happens.  Litecoin has been the only alternate coin so far to hit a valuation in the 300 million range.

Ethereum has too much bad PR go big.  Once people realize there's a Goldman Sachs' connection (the people responsible for the 2008 crisis) and it's a premine to make a few greedy rich people people even richer, it's over.

In contrast, there's tons of alternates out there which start at $50K to $500K capitalization and have potential to hit $50 million (100x to 1000x return on investment).

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
marcelus

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 10:52:43 AM

Ugh...

That's all a fundraising round ever offers. It's up to people to decide whether to take a punt or not. With the people and vision behind Ethereum, I am very much interested in taking a punt.
marcelus

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 10:53:55 AM

I don't like how they are selling Ether for BTC when there's no Ether blockchain or coins.  Lots of hype around this "platform", same goes for Storj, lots of show with little being delivered.  Right now, all these are just sleight of hand tricks to crowdfund without calling it crowdfunding.

Ugh...

Same risk as any other IPO, imho.  The difference is the reward is far less.  Ethereum at $10 to $30 million starting capitalization can only go up so much unless some miracle happens.  Litecoin has been the only alternate coin so far to hit a valuation in the 300 million range.

Ethereum has too much bad PR go big.  Once people realize there's a Goldman Sachs' connection (the people responsible for the 2008 crisis) and it's a premine to make a few greedy rich people people even richer, it's over.

In contrast, there's tons of alternates out there which start at $50K to $500K capitalization and have potential to hit $50 million (100x to 1000x return on investment).

Silly analogy mate. The potential of litecoin doesn't even scratch the surface of Ethereum's.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: