Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:03:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC Miner with Dual PSU  (Read 326 times)
carbsncaffeine (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 03:09:22 AM

I couldn't find a solid answer to this question other than for GPU mining, so I thought I would post it here.

Does anyone know how to safely power an ASIC miner with dual EVGA Power supplies? I have two 850w titanium power supplies and I would like to know how to safely use them together instead of buying a single 1600w Power supply. Preferably, I would like to have one of the units function as an on off switch instead of flipping both switches on or off. Would I also need two jumper pin cables?

Thanks for any help.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
minefarmbuy

Activity: 1022
Merit: 221

We are not retail.

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2018, 02:30:11 PM

Not sure what unit you're looking at but there really isn't a on/off switch like your thinking typically. You want to power up a couple boards with one and another board with the CB. Still you'll want to turn everything off in reverse other wise you'll draw a fair amount of power with just power to the boards. Unless you have a switched pdu.

https://service.bitmain.com/support/download?product=Antminer%20S9

Premier asic sourcing minefarmbuy.com #mineon
Twitter:@minefarmbuy -LN Tips-
Email: info@minefarmbuy.com PGP:1A1C A4D4 CE04 F57E 1C0C 5240 592A 09BF CCB4 F0C3
VRobb

Activity: 1610
Merit: 538

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 03:04:24 PM
Merited by suchmoon (4), mocacinno (1), Steamtyme (1)

I run my miners at home with multiple PSU's - think RAID but with power supplies instead of HD's!  Wink
Just make sure of a couple things:

1) Do not power any hashboard with multiple PSU's.  That would be bad. Miner can have multiple PSU's on it, but not the hashboards.
2) Power up the PSU(s) without the controller first, then lastly the PSU with the miner's controller on it.

Mine ON!  Cool

I don't believe in superstition because it's bad luck: 13thF1oor6CAwyzyxXPNnRvu3nhhYeqZdc
These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP), 2x S9 obsolete, 2xS15-28, S17-56, S17-70
Pushing a whopping 1/5 PH!  Oh The SPEED!!!
carbsncaffeine (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 04:30:13 PM

I run my miners at home with multiple PSU's - think RAID but with power supplies instead of HD's!  Wink

1) Do not power any hashboard with multiple PSU's.  That would be bad. Miner can have multiple PSU's on it, but not the hashboards.
2) Power up the PSU(s) without the controller first, then lastly the PSU with the miner's controller on it.

Mine ON!  Cool

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I'm running a unit with 3 hashboards, I'll just connect 1 power supply to two boards and the other to the controller and 3rd board. BTW, what do you mean by RAID?  Huh
mgoz

Activity: 265
Merit: 232

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 04:33:11 PM

BTW, what do you mean by RAID?  Huh

Redundant Array of Independent Disks
fanatic26_

Activity: 294
Merit: 129

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 04:42:01 PM
Last edit: October 24, 2018, 12:52:16 AM by frodocooper
Merited by Steamtyme (1)

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I'm running a unit with 3 hashboards, I'll just connect 1 power supply to two boards and the other to the controller and 3rd board. BTW, what do you mean by RAID?  Huh

What miner are you trying to do this on? If it is an s9 or t9 the boards pull about 450 each so 2 boards on a single power supply would overload that PSU. You would be better off with a 1000w and like a 600w if you really wanted to run a machine like that
VRobb

Activity: 1610
Merit: 538

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 07:03:18 PM

Indeed, what fanatic26 said re power is critical.  In fact I tend to spec much larger output PSU's than what one might think is enough.  This is so I'm running around 60% of max output which tends to be in the sweet spot of efficiency.
For example, I have two Thermaltake 750W PSU's running my R4.  Each hashboard is only around 400W or so each.  (they were on sale at Fry's...)

As always, YMMV!  Cheesy

I don't believe in superstition because it's bad luck: 13thF1oor6CAwyzyxXPNnRvu3nhhYeqZdc
These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP), 2x S9 obsolete, 2xS15-28, S17-56, S17-70
Pushing a whopping 1/5 PH!  Oh The SPEED!!!
BitcoinRack
Copper Member

Activity: 32
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2018, 02:39:18 AM
Last edit: October 24, 2018, 09:24:56 AM by frodocooper
Merited by bones261 (1)

Assuming your Power Supplies are up to spec, you may safely power ASICS with more than one PSU. There are two most important things to remember when doing this.

1. Be sure to not mix power supplies to a single individual hashing board
---- For example, an Antminer S9 has three hashing boards. On each board there are three connectors for power. You want to make sure that each of these three connectors are receiving power from that one same power supply. Many people will make the mistake of doing the following: if they had two power supplies of 5 connectors each, they may think it is okay to take power supply #1 and use the first three connections on hash board one, and then the following two power connections on hash board two. Typically these people will wrongfully then complete the 3rd power port on hash board two, followed by completing the three power connectors on hash board three. And then of course the final connector of the power supply #2 to the control board. In this wrong example, hash board two is pulling power from two separate power supplies and this is very bad.

2. Be sure that the hashing boards are powered on first, and then the control board second.

Here are several scenarios that may answer some additional questions...

Scenario #1: You have two power supplies and one Antminer s9
- Assuming power requirements are met, you may use power supply #1 to plug into two of the three hashing boards (you have just plugged in 6 connectors in total). You may now use power supply #2 to plug into the remaining hashing board and the control board (you have just plugged in 3 connectors on the last hashing board, and 1 on the control board).

- To power on the miner, begin with turning on power supply #1 first, and shortly after power supply #2

Scenario #2: You have three power supplies and one Antminer s9
- Assuming power requirements are met, you may use power supply #1 for hashing board #1, power supply #2 for hashing board #2, and power supply #3 for hashing board #3 and the control board.

- To power on the miner you would turn on power supply #1, then #2, and then #3
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 6359

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 01:29:40 PM

I run my miners at home with multiple PSU's - think RAID but with power supplies instead of HD's!  Wink

1) Do not power any hashboard with multiple PSU's.  That would be bad. Miner can have multiple PSU's on it, but not the hashboards.

Mine ON!  Cool

some people argue that the controller is responsible for controlling power draw for the hashboards, therefore a failure of the PSU which is connected to the controller will put those hashbaords which are connected to the other PSU at a great risk of burning/dying.

i am not aware of whether that above is technically correct as i do not have the tools nor the knowledge to monitor how is power draw done on miners. but i hope someone who knows these stuff quite well can confirm.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
fanatic26_

Activity: 294
Merit: 129

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 06:17:13 PM

some people argue that the controller is responsible for controlling power draw for the hashboards, therefore a failure of the PSU which is connected to the controller will put those hashbaords which are connected to the other PSU at a great risk of burning/dying.

i am not aware of whether that above is technically correct as i do not have the tools nor the knowledge to monitor how is power draw done on miners. but i hope someone who knows these stuff quite well can confirm.

This is more of an issue on the s7 then the s9. The s9 will not burn up on its own but if you are in a hot enough environment and the controller loses power and the fans stop spinning heat soak is a larger concern.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: