Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:45:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox records versus Bitfloor records  (Read 3357 times)
soy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:15:55 PM

MtGox is not allowing users to view their trading histories and ongoing balance records.  Figuring tax now makes this very difficult.  My saved webpages of transactions records on MtGox seem obtuse and difficult.

Bitfloor stopped all trading last year.   My records there are clear.  One can still download statements of every month showing all transactions.  Working with those is much easier and those are completely available.  I suspect it was closed because US bitcoin buyers via BOA did panic with the April crash.  Too bad.

Who would have a problem with MtGox allowing its users to view their records?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 09:56:13 PM

I would contact a tax professional in your jurisdiction for assistance. They may contact the relevant tax authorities to negotiate an mutually acceptable solution to the lost records. This should serve as an important reminder to never rely on third party providers to store financial information that is needed for tax purposes. Instead one should store electronic financial records on computers under one's control, running Free Libre Open Source Software (such as GNU/Linux), with multiple redundant backups and in a format that is readable by Free Libre Open Source Software.

By the way I expect a fair amount of grief among former MTGox clients over lost / inaccessible records as the various tax deadlines around the world approach April 30th (Canada), April 15th (United States) etc.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
bitcointaxes

Activity: 57
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 10:42:59 PM

For the US, it is always your responsibility to keep and maintain records. You can't blame a 3rd party. Unfortunately, failure to report accurately could land you a civil penalty for negligence or fraud.

If you still don't have access when you need to file, you should consult a tax attorney to work out the best way to proceed.

Hopefully MtGox will provide some kind of access this year.

https://bitcoin.tax - calculate taxes for Bitcoin and digital-currencies
soy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 03:47:41 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2014, 04:01:35 AM by soy

I would contact a tax professional in your jurisdiction for assistance. They may contact the relevant tax authorities to negotiate an mutually acceptable solution to the lost records. This should serve as an important reminder to never rely on third party providers to store financial information that is needed for tax purposes. Instead one should store electronic financial records on computers under one's control, running Free Libre Open Source Software (such as GNU/Linux), with multiple redundant backups and in a format that is readable by Free Libre Open Source Software.

By the way I expect a fair amount of grief among former MTGox clients over lost / inaccessible records as the various tax deadlines around the world approach April 30th (Canada), April 15th (United States) etc.

I think I can build the needed data from other sources.  Having shifted from reading IRS pubs to getting data organized relating to BTC purchases, it's tedious but doable.

I don't particularly trust tax software.  I suspect they have a yearly renewal and I recall an unpleasant surprise from a Physicians Desk Reference on CD one year which cropped up in January the following year.  I'd like to see something in Debian or Ubuntu archives that would do a data plug and play on the US IRS 1040.  So many suggested possible alternative ways to file there have to be some ways better than others.

Noting a suggestion to return a letter of explanation along with the tax return while reading IRS pubs, it seems like the best way to go.  First time moving beyond the 1040A.  I think if I explain what I'm doing clearly the worst that will happen if incorrect is directions as to the correct docs to use.

But yes, your suggestion to consult a tax professional is a good one.  I've heard many times over the years that a tax professional knows well some limits for deductions beyond which trigger a problem, the hint being that some things will be padded.  Bitcoin is fairly new but yet it's been around a few years.  The upper limits on transaction fees might be one way a pro could cook up a return that might be better than one can do oneself.  But what the hell.

bitcointaxes

Activity: 57
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 05:19:06 AM
Last edit: March 10, 2014, 06:09:26 AM by bitcointaxes

Good news everyone.

The recent MtGox hack includes their trade history. I've briefly been through it and found my trades.

I'm intending to build up a database of the whole history and will make it available on https://bitcointaxes.info. You can just enter your user Id (from your verification or any deposit email) and it'll give you your trade history.

I'm hoping it's all there, so I'm still verifying this is the case.

edit: only goes up to 30th Nov 2013 but might help some people

https://bitcoin.tax - calculate taxes for Bitcoin and digital-currencies
fasmax

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 12:43:56 AM

I can't seem to find my MtGox user ID.
I never received any email notifications on deposits only on withdraws.
Then I was just given transaction reference number.
Any ideas how to find my user ID?
zenojis

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 04:20:12 AM

Off topic, but isn't it funny you have to say "Free Libre Open Source" ? To me this is because of a case of political term obfuscation (a.k.a. people changing the meaning of words to hide important information from the masses) Can't say Free Software, can't say Open Source, Libre might catch on but right now you can't really use that either, so we have Free Libre Open Source Software haha

On Topic : I don't think anyone has a problem with MT GOX showing users their trade history, not only for tax reasons but also for personal records. At this point it is clear however than Gox is in "emergency mode." I believe that they realized (they should have realized sooner though, lol) that by leaving the website online they were doing irreparable damage to themselves and their customers. My feeling is that you will be able to get your information eventually (keyword EVENTUALLY). Either they'll try and help their customers or be forced to. There are enough people with enough money in Gox that I think things will become more transparent, not because Karpeles'n'co want them to, but because people are going to take matters into their own hands. (Look at the source code and database leak....)
Timerondsc

Activity: 224
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:10:12 AM

Is it beneficial for MtGox not to allow users to view their trading histories and ongoing balance records?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: