Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:53:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to intentionally not submit a share that solves the block?  (Read 221 times)
Vaunakiller (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 8

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 01:22:10 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Imagine a mining pool with PPS payout scheme.
Is it possible for a miner to intentionally not submit a share that solves a block to the pool? Thus, if one has enough hashrate (for example, 50% of pool's hashrate), he can hinder pool's ability to solve blocks by 50% and harm the pool owners because one still getting paid for all submitted shares.
Am I right or I missing something here?
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 09:59:43 PM

Yes, block withholding is possible, but people with 50% of the hash power do not mine in pools, they are the pool. Not sure how it is now, but generally in the past it was possible for someone with >51% of the hashpower to mine blocks and not broadcast them immediately then after a while, spend his coins on exchanges, afterwards releasing his mined blocks to the network thus double spending.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 11:01:15 PM

Yes, this should be possible, but you really can't gain nothing from it.
Any effort that you spend in setting this up is better spent anywhere else, unless you simply don't like mining for pools due to centralization issues and still want to be in a Bitcoin mining business.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2018, 12:50:20 AM
Merited by suchmoon (4), Foxpup (2), bones261 (2), ABCbits (1)

https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/4943/what-is-a-block-withholding-attack

It's even possible to profit from it if you have a large percentage of the network hashpower: This works by combining withholding at a PPS pool (to lower the network difficulty while still getting paid) and solo mining.

Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
October 24, 2018, 11:48:34 AM

... harm the pool owners because one still getting paid for all submitted shares.
Am I right or I missing something here?
they won't get paid, pool owner pays shares (distributes block reward) only when a block found
if someone not submitting solved block, then there's nothing to distribute to pool members
the harm is that pool loses its chance to earn that block reward
though I'm curious... can a pool member broadcast the solved block as his own to claim full reward for himself?

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2018, 12:02:43 PM

though I'm curious... can a pool member broadcast the solved block as his own to claim full reward for himself?

No, he can't.

The block is being built by the pool operator. The share a miner (inside of the pool) is working on has the block reward (to the operators address) already included.
So, effectively you can not contribute to the pool while on the same time trying to mine for yourself.

aliashraf
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1174

Always remember the cause!

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2018, 01:25:46 PM

Block withholding attack is detectable in serious cases where attacker has a considerable power. Being a trusted party the pool operator can suspend miner payment for a while as a counter measure. I suppose pools constantly monitor their workers' statistics for this.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: