Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:23:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on monero's anonymity?  (Read 589 times)
OneCoinMan

Activity: 644
Merit: 12

Alternative investment banking platform

View Profile
October 25, 2018, 02:04:04 PM

Foolish logic. The share of crime in Monroe is much less than in the dollar, lol (80% of cash carries cocaine  Grin). Monero is a guarantee of stability. First of all, it's confidentiality.

───────────────    IMO Ecosystem    ───────────────
Customer First, Innovation from Everyone, Fair & Transparent
TELEGRAM  ]              J O I N   U S              [   TWITTER   ]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509

View Profile
October 25, 2018, 02:44:04 PM

what you say about "far far more crimes" is only because of lack of adoption otherwise cryptocurrencies would have been used just as much.

Maybe. Maybe not. We don't know because it hasn't happened. My point is that fiat in the form of hard cash is anonymous and involved in lots of crime, yet no one has ever tried to claim that everyone using cash is a criminal and that we should be banning cash. To say the same about Monero is just nonsense.

but if monero reaches mass adoption then almost all of its usage will be for illegal activities.

Again, maybe or maybe not. I'd be quite excited to be able to use Monero to pay for perfectly legal things in person like groceries and gas, instead of having all these things linked to my name and address via my bank, or be forced to carry around unreasonable amounts of cash. Just because you personally wouldn't use Monero or care that much about anonymity doesn't mean everyone else is the same.
Kiefner

Activity: 921
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 25, 2018, 03:43:46 PM

Monero is one of the few coins that is really decentralized and this coin, the developers of which have tried and worked on anonymity.

●   TOP EXCHANGE IEO   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  Advertising Platform  ❱❱❱❱❱❱ 
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  YOUC  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
Tripp Hammond

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2018, 04:57:04 PM

Anonymasity and Privacy completely depends on the users. There is nothing to force it on someone. Fiat currencies are being used for criminal activities too. Just because somenone is looking for privacy does not mean he is doing something illegal.
Whosdaddy

Activity: 1148
Merit: 527

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 10:21:51 AM

What's the deal here? Do you want to be anonymous when using cryptos? As we know, bitcoin has an open and searchable blockchain, where you can trace anything. That's why some like to use mixers. Coins like Monero are popular because of ONE thing, anonymity. No one knows where goes what or how much. I've seen lately in illegal drug markets that monero is becoming increasingly popular due to its anonymity. I haven't seen monero been used much for anything outside the illegal drug market.
Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Do we want to enforce anonymity among cryptos or defend it?
I would say anonymity and privacy is something that would basically be applicable for people who may want to do some dirty deals or in some way go against the law and be able to stay off the radar doing so.

However, we both know that even with that, there are still some people who just do not like the idea of their privacy being opened to the public, even if they do not want to do shady deals, but personally I do not see a problem with that and in the long run, with the space getting even more regulated, chances are that the likes of Monero will really have an issue with the government accepting which is why the fact that bitcoin is pseudo anonymous makes it a whole lot even interesting.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 02:23:36 PM

there are still some people who just do not like the idea of their privacy being opened to the public, even if they do not want to do shady deals, but personally I do not see a problem with that

You don't see a problem with having no privacy and allowing all your information to be open to the public? This is such a stupid position to hold. The "I have nothing to hide, therefore I have nothing to fear" argument is utter nonsense. If you truly believe that, then you will have no problem posting your real name, address, browsing history and email addresses and passwords here so everyone in public can have a good look through your life. I know you won't, which renders you a hypocrite of your own argument.

Do you have curtains on your windows? Do you close the door when using the toilet in public? Do you wear clothes? If you answered yes to any of those questions, then you value privacy.
Tripp Hammond

Activity: 15

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 03:59:42 PM

Anonymasity and Privacy completely depends on the users. There is nothing to force it on someone. Fiat currencies are being used for criminal activities too. Just because somenone is looking for privacy does not mean he is doing something illegal.
Jansaa

Activity: 392
Merit: 105

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 04:05:19 PM

Monero may be altcoin the most private altcoin at the moment! Investment altcoin will be more attractive than Bitcoin!
Jansaa

Activity: 392
Merit: 105

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 04:06:08 PM

Monero may be altcoin the most private altcoin at the moment! Investment altcoin will be more attractive than Bitcoin!
hrunya102

Activity: 546
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 04:18:57 PM

Anonymity is a very important part of cryptocurrency, so I like Monero. I don't want the government to know what i buy, whether it's legal or not.

░░▒▒▓▓▓▓▓************** DFINANCE is New Age of DEFI **************▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░░
░░▒▒▓▓▓▓* Bitcointalk ▐  TwitterReddit ▐  Telegram ▐  Github ▐  Discord *▓▓▓▓▒▒░░
░░▒▒▓▓▓** A Non-Code Platform for Decentralized Trading Instruments **▓▓▓▒▒░░
Oleriwyr21

Activity: 4

View Profile
October 27, 2018, 11:31:24 AM

Anonymity is not only used for illegal trade. Companies and investors might not want external factors to influence the investments and this is where anonymity comes to play.
Onalelle87

View Profile
October 27, 2018, 11:31:42 AM

Anonymity of cryptocurrencies is used other than criminal activities. If something contains a anonymous feature doesn't mean it used for somthing bad then vpns, encryption etc. was enough. And monero is a great coin too as the latest Bulletproof upgrades have decreased the transaction fees to almost 0. It is constantly updated to modern use so if few users use them for bad activities doesn't mean the coin is bad or useless.
Maykon01

Activity: 3

View Profile
October 27, 2018, 11:31:58 AM

Monero;s annonymity is oerfvectly fine and this is bullish to question that feature as this is perfectly legal and provide security and eradicate the chance of using it for illegal purposes. This is just a byorder the main thing abou monero is making the transaction fee low as zero. Be happy with the good ones do not judge foolishly.
Legoaseth06

View Profile
October 27, 2018, 11:37:19 AM

If you think anonymity is used only for criminal activities then you are wrong, mate. Also the recent Bulletproof upgrade has also helped Monero to lessen the transaction fees. So get your facts right.
rickadone
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 27, 2018, 05:27:27 PM

Monero is very anonymous and to my mind this coin will become in top soon, after bitcoin and possibly ethereum. As bitmixer's owner claimed, more than 1 million bitcoin was mixed in a year by using his website. See what happened to btc-e, what's happening now, bitcoin was great option for anonimity, now Monero, higher level of anonimity becomes popular. Don't know what others think but I can repeat the same answers you already get yourself in your proposal.
See this post too: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2042470.msg21113378#msg21113378
Do not deceive yourself about this coin becoming in the top soon.

Yes, it is being used but there have been concerns about it. I recently read in news in which one country which I cannot remember now asked exchanges to delist every completely anonymous cryptocurrency as these countries believe into the transparency of blockchain system.

Like most other coins, it is too a P2P currency but is completely anonymous and as long as someone accepts it as payment, no shit, but I want to assume and believe that in the long run and for most developed parts, when it comes to full anonymous cryptocurrency, there would likely be some crack down, just my own thoughts, as they believe it would actually aid in promoting dark market activities.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2018, 07:26:23 PM

Do not deceive yourself about this coin becoming in the top soon.

It's already number 10. Soon to be number 9 as Tether's implosion continues.

Yes, it is being used but there have been concerns about it. I recently read in news in which one country which I cannot remember now asked exchanges to delist every completely anonymous cryptocurrency as these countries believe into the transparency of blockchain system.

Decentralized exchanges are only becoming bigger and more common, as more and more people want to move away from the ridiculous KYC and account freezing that is taking place on many traditional exchanges. Monero is already trading on some decentralized exchanges, and will trade on more as time goes on. If it was genuinely delisted from every centralized exchange, the demand for it wouldn't go away - it would simply speed up its adoption on to DEXs.

MAXENATOR

Activity: 90
Merit: 7

View Profile
October 29, 2018, 11:05:08 PM

I do not think that there is something that can be against it as there is nothing wrong actually in anonymous using of the cryptocurrency.
Mabinat

Activity: 140
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 29, 2018, 11:32:39 PM

the fact that he is used to sell drugs is bad. but the fact that he is anonymous is very good

betform [/ i] ▬▬▬ SMART CONTRACT POWERED SOCIAL BETTING PLATFORM
https://www.betformcoin.io/
proTECH77

Activity: 1120
Merit: 30

Bisq Market Day - March 20th 2023

View Profile
October 29, 2018, 11:44:31 PM

Monero's anonymity has the two side effects as it tend to protect it holders privacy. The same way Bitcoin anonymity is, also Monero's, they are all used for illicit and illegal transactions around the web for the sole purpose of privacy. Monero's anonymity is more less secure as we thought it to be.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄          bisq.network          ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
<<<<<<<<<<<Bisq Market Day - March 20th 2023 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀          DOWNLOAD    N O W           ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
tamango

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 29, 2018, 11:49:16 PM

I think that privacy is very important and monero And others privacy coin like zcash and verge will have success because many people just don’t want to be tracked..
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: