Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:25:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: siliceous namedrops  (Read 3076 times)
Glass (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 11:46:57 AM
Last edit: December 31, 2013, 07:40:45 PM by Glass

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2011, 11:59:23 AM

There needs to be some sort of awareness campaign to repair the perception people have to Bitcoin.

If only somebody would create a really nice animated video explaining what bitcoin is....

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
eideteker

Activity: 13

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 12:15:09 PM

That's my thread!  Cheesy

I look at it this way, most [H]'ers fall into one or more of these categories: minor/teen/early 20's (didn't we all know it all then?), unemployed, live at home, no world experience, etc.  I don't really hold their skepticism against them; they know not of what they speak. 
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 12:17:44 PM

I'm pretty sure that people who are interested in improving the current monetary system, will eventually learn about bitcoin, and adopt it.  It's not difficult to search about digital money on internet and find out about bitcoin on wikipedia for instance.

IMO it's useless to try to get the average Joe to be interested in bitcoins.  Those guys will not accept this currency until it is talked about on national TV.

Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2011, 12:24:58 PM

eideteker:  Can you ask the skeptics what we, the Bitcoin Community, could do to be less "smelly" or "sketchy" ?

I find people are much more sympathetic if instead of saying "What's your problem?" you instead ask "What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix it?"

And then you can get all jujitsu on them and praise their great ideas and gently suggest that you'd only screw up whatever it is they are suggesting (and you're busy doing other stuff already) so maybe they should just go ahead and do it...

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 12:27:53 PM

If only somebody would create a really nice animated video explaining what bitcoin is....
Can we get this video to the bitcoin.org frontpage? Maybe along with your talk?

I agree with grondilu. Please let’s focus on people who Bitcoin appeals to at its current stage: Libertarians, programmers, investors, certain entrepeneurs, some artists, early adopters. Don’t waste your energy on anyone you cannot possibly convince.
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2011, 12:35:30 PM

Read this thread and try not to get angry: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1594923

Huh

There needs to be some sort of awareness campaign to repair the perception people have to Bitcoin.

Every single thread I've read that ends in people ridiculing bitcoin starts with "computers generate coins".  Computers do not generate coins.  This is why people think bitcoin is ridiculous.  Coins are an agreement between people who value coins, offer and accept them in exchange for goods and services, and treat them as fungible--just like every other kind of money.  If people are curious about mining, then they're quite welcome to know that miners process transactions for the network, create its security, and are in turn rewarded with a portion of the essentially pre-existing coins from a set total.  But really, that point is kind of like describing the printing process to someone when telling them about bills.

It's like if I travelled back to the middle ages and told people, "okay, printing presses generate bills.  then I give them to you, and you give me goods and services."  They would think I was a complete ass.  It's the restricted supply, security against counterfeiting, market support, and the fact that they're more useful than carrying around cows and sheep and gold, that makes them work as a currency.  It's not their method of introduction into the economy.  Please get this into your minds people!  Computers do not generate coins.  /rant

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
deadlizard

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 12:41:16 PM

there are always cries of "nothing backing it"
what backs gold? nothing? must be worthless then  Roll Eyes

at least no one in that thread thought cash was backed by gold.

btc address:1MEyKbVbmMVzVxLdLmt4Zf1SZHFgj56aqg
gpg fingerprint:DD1AB28F8043D0837C86A4CA7D6367953C6FE9DC

eideteker

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 01:12:13 PM

at least no one in that thread thought cash was backed by gold.

I wouldn't be so sure about that...
frankiebits

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 01:24:27 PM

This can't help...

grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 01:26:17 PM

This can't help...

Why?  Maybe it's a fake bitcoin app that has been detected by the software.

eideteker

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 05:20:36 PM

It's not conclusive at all, but I have the official bitcoin client installed on this laptop and I just ran Malwarebytes.  It was not detected as a threat.
Litt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2011, 08:06:39 PM

I'm not surprised by the responses from a forum of such nature. Just because they have interest in computing and gaming hardware, doesn't mean they will have the capacity to appreciate and understand what Bitcoin could become. If anything this is almost exactly as expected. Nothing really is getting discussed other than the possibility of making some free money.
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2011, 07:48:36 AM

I am consistently amazed that people assume the work being done by miners is being sold to a company.  It is open source software, this claim is easily proven false.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2011, 09:19:17 AM

It might be a good idea to have two explanations of what bitcoin is on the homepage(links to the explanations).

One technical, which talks about mining etc.
Two, non-technical which talks about the advantages of using bitcoin, or what bitcoin can be used for etc.

I have found when presenting a new idea it's good to completely leave out the technical side of things, you don't even need to briefly explain why it's secure, just make the assumption that it is all those things in your non-technical explanation, leave the explaining to the technical side.

When I was giving a business presentation about starting an opensource outsourcing company, the first time I gave it I went into a lot of detail.

OpenOffice.org replaces MS Office, Linux replaces Windows etc. Then most of the questions were on where OpenOffice even worked or problems with using Linux etc. People were worrying about the details.

The second time I made the presentation I made the assumtion that these things just worked, didn't mention a single piece of software we would use. Only covered the business benefits and totally avoided any technical details. The result was that we won the round (beat 6 other groups), with the listeners focusing on whether the business side was viable.

We could do the same for bitcoin I think.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 09:23:50 AM

I have found when presenting a new idea it's good to completely leave out the technical side of things, you don't even need to briefly explain why it's secure, just make the assumption that it is all those things in your non-technical explanation, leave the explaining to the technical side.

I agree, which is why I thought 'WeUseCoins' should receive the full bounty for their non-technical video.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: