Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:11:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone manipulate the price of bitcoin?  (Read 358 times)
Stilicho

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 11:53:04 AM

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think price can be manipulated, maybe for short time, but can be. I read about these telegram groups which dictate members what to do during agreed time on market. And you can see very often traders putting absolutly iracional lower and lower offers, even the market has positive growing trend. People are easy manipulated, if they see a lower and lower offers, they usually start cooperate and start putting their offers also lower and lower. Maybe I am already paranoid  Tongue but on my marketplace I see now every small grow to 3600 eur, to be pushed back by a huge amount of very low offers, which allways appear from one trader in a seconds (using bot) and you can be sure that in 30min is price back to 3390-3400 eur. I think it is easy to manipulate price down. I can not imagine how to manipulate direction up.
But maybe I am wrong and it is just coincidence. But if such a traders operate on each marketplace....I think it is possible to move the price down.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Inosend
Copper Member

Activity: 299
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2018, 12:29:52 PM

Of course yes, in short bitcoin is currently suffering from some serious manipulation right now

[ IQ ]           cash                           THE MASTERNODES CRYPTOCURRENCY
                           ⚫   t e l e g r a m   ⚫   f a c e b o o k   ⚫   t w i t t e r                         
[ LISTING ON : P2P [ P ] B2B ]  ◾  Discovering millionaires’ secret with IQ.cash
Rozita

Activity: 658
Merit: 108

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 07:49:55 PM

Bitcoin price rise from few cents has been normal. That's due to its advantages. But till now, we have seen many abnormal changes in price.
Sudden rise to 1000 dollar in late 2013 and the price fall after that or what is going right now. All these changes are manipulations in prices.
arpon11

Activity: 882
Merit: 282

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 08:46:45 PM

At small time intervals, large holders can influence prices by selling a large number of coins on exchanges or vice versa, starting to buy Bitcoin en masse. But these actions cause only temporary price fluctuations. Somehow the manipulators of the market cannot change the law of the market itself, so if you count on long-term investments, then you should not worry about it. In addition, the really large holders themselves are not profitable by the long-term weakening of the Bitcoin course.
What do you think?
The way bitcoin's price do fluctuate, it is very possible bitcoin can be manipulated.  I strongly believe in those that has the view that we do invest for whales to make profits.  We can even see from what happened this year alone.  How bitcoin keep making a surprise dump.  I think the whales are manipulating the market and that is why we are seeing this huge dump of bitcoin price.  I believe that in future, if bitcoin and blockchain technology can be regulated the way stocks and commodities market is then the manipulations will reduce.
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 09:21:36 PM

my opinion on manipulation is that it's less prevalent and more difficult to pull off than people think. the market is globally distributed, with some exchanges in shady and unregulated jurisdictions and others tightly regulated. certainly, large players may try to manipulate the market, but it's easier said than done. what often happens is a smaller whale gets eaten by a bigger whale---or he gets eaten by the market as a whole.

In the current times, perhaps it's even difficult to pull off, but always remember that even in closely and highly regulated markets, this is still occurring without anyone being prosecuted and brought to the courtroom. Knowing how scattered and large the market is now, it's hard to pull it off, but also knowing that a single sell-off, even just tens of thousands of bitcoin in the market, can flood the whole market, it's still easy to do this for those who have the $$$ and BTC.

i've seen whales dump many thousands of coins, trying to put a lid on a bull market. price immediately recovered and those whales got run over.

whales can't really manipulate the market. they can only push price where it was already going to go. whales who fight the market (trying to manipulate in the wrong direction) don't stay whales for long.

frankly, if we're in a bear market, and a whale thinks price is gonna drop, they should sell. if supply is strong on the OTC market, it's gonna spill over onto the exchanges.

East2011

Activity: 454
Merit: 10

"Reserve Your Ledger at GYMLEDGER.COM"

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 10:57:18 PM

I don't think someone can manipulate the market. Maybe a group of billionaires can manipulate the market. Because they  have the resources to manipulate the market.

Sonata.ai   ●●   The only cryptocurrency exchange you will ever need
──────────      │█│     JOIN WHITELIST     │█│      ──────────
WHITEPAPER   ●   FACEBOOK   ●   TWITTER   ●   LINKEDIN   ●   TELEGRAM   ●   MEDIUM   ●   ANN THREAD
Freddie Aguiluz

Activity: 401
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 11:43:25 PM

For something relatively beneficial like bitcoin, it was not surprising to know that someone was indeed manipulating its price. We should be more astonished if there wasn't. I am most certain that those traders that holds large quantities of bitcoin may be the manipulators. Let us also not put aside the miners. For miners, it only makes sense for them to want to push prices higher from an economic perspective. Otherwise, mining no longer becomes a profitable enterprise. These individuals all have their vested interests to push for higher price - wealth concentration.
marcbitcoins

Activity: 854
Merit: 108

View Profile
December 07, 2018, 12:58:16 AM

At small time intervals, large holders can influence prices by selling a large number of coins on exchanges or vice versa, starting to buy Bitcoin en masse. But these actions cause only temporary price fluctuations. Somehow the manipulators of the market cannot change the law of the market itself, so if you count on long-term investments, then you should not worry about it. In addition, the really large holders themselves are not profitable by the long-term weakening of the Bitcoin course.
What do you think?

Anyone could manipulate the market performance of any investments either crypto or non crypto investments as long as they have huge financial resources at their disposals in which this price manipulation is already known for a long time and become normal in nature. Truly they will not benefits of this low market volume but we don't know if this is part of their plan or i'm afraid that more people in fear are now avoiding this investments because of these manipulations environment.
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
December 07, 2018, 02:02:39 AM

I don't think someone can manipulate the market. Maybe a group of billionaires can manipulate the market. Because they  have the resources to manipulate the market.
If you realize how thinly traded this market is, you'll know that a few hundred million in Bitcoin is enough to terrorize the global crypto market, because Bitcoin takes everything down with it whether altcoiners like it or not.

Surprisingly, I haven't seen many large buy walls in the last couple of weeks, while I have seen them pop up quite frequently when the price was still hovering over the $6000 mark. Probably an indication of the fear of investors?

Overall, manipulation is doing either good or bad for you, which all depends on what side of the market you are. If you're accumulating and the price tanks, you'll obviously love their effort to buy cheaper coins.

The same goes up for if you have bought and the price pumps afterwards. That's good manipulation from people's perspective, but brace yourself for when manipulation works against people, then is no longer cool. Cheesy

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
rickadone
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1024

View Profile
December 07, 2018, 12:38:43 PM

They have been manipulation bitcoin ever since it came out. There was no time in history that bitcoin was not manipulated at all.

In 2018 the biggest manipulation came from whales who realized that if the price went from 1 to 2 they would make profit but if it went from 2 to 1 and they short it at the same time they double their investment with the same amount of funds not needing extra money for it. Hence, they manipulated to drop since it was easier to drop the price of bitcoin instead of keep fueling the increases in prices.

Even to this day no whale is working towards getting the price higher, they keep talking but never put their money where their mouth is. Hence there is absolutely no point of thinking bitcoin is not manipulated. It is the most volatile, most unregulated, most dangerous but rewarding investment anyone can do.
Bitcoinwaist
Copper Member

Activity: 228
Merit: 23

View Profile
December 07, 2018, 12:56:54 PM

They have been manipulation bitcoin ever since it came out. There was no time in history that bitcoin was not manipulated at all.

In 2018 the biggest manipulation came from whales who realized that if the price went from 1 to 2 they would make profit but if it went from 2 to 1 and they short it at the same time they double their investment with the same amount of funds not needing extra money for it. Hence, they manipulated to drop since it was easier to drop the price of bitcoin instead of keep fueling the increases in prices.

Even to this day no whale is working towards getting the price higher, they keep talking but never put their money where their mouth is. Hence there is absolutely no point of thinking bitcoin is not manipulated. It is the most volatile, most unregulated, most dangerous but rewarding investment anyone can do.

Agreed. Whales have manipulated from the beginning and will continue forever. No one will ever have as many coins as them if someone tries to corner the market they will let them buy and then dump the price dpwn to nothing. Its all about the wash rinse repeat cycle of whales. Thry can just keep churning over the same coins forever until someone can contest them.
gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
December 07, 2018, 01:17:35 PM

What do you think?

Anyone could manipulate the market performance of any investments either crypto or non crypto investments as long as they have huge financial resources at their disposals in which this price manipulation is already known for a long time and become normal in nature. Truly they will not benefits of this low market volume but we don't know if this is part of their plan or i'm afraid that more people in fear are now avoiding this investments because of these manipulations environment.

Well i think those people who have enough coins to manipulate the market are probably on observer mode right now looking where this could go. Their money would go a very long way if they can buy in bulk near the bottom. They might be looking at how long will people continue to be anxious about the market status.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
Malam90

Activity: 1099
Merit: 116

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 03:31:19 PM

Bitcoin price can be manipulated by big investors. Some people spread rumor, fake news to dump the market by loosing people's hope and lead them to sell in panic. One person can't be manipulated but few can do this. It is possible.
CoinFoxs
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1004

Campaign Management & Translation Service

View Profile
December 12, 2018, 07:32:15 AM

yes, by manipulating public emotions, spreading FUD, rumors - any big group or consortium can manipulate the prices a little fr a while.

Some big investors are also manipulating bitcoin prices on huge level, their capitals are so big and they are start investing in bitcoin at a same time and price of coin start increasing when bitcoin community see price growing they also start buying bitcoin and demand of coin increases so when price reAch maximum price the big investors
Sell their all coins
Semaj123

Activity: 434
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2018, 11:41:46 AM

Bitcoin price can be manipulated by big investors. Some people spread rumor, fake news to dump the market by loosing people's hope and lead them to sell in panic. One person can't be manipulated but few can do this. It is possible.

It can be possible if they have so many holdings like thousands of BTC. As a basic rules of stock, supply and demand could be the major factor that need to be to consider.
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
December 12, 2018, 12:04:37 PM

One person can start a pump & dump project and recruit followers.
Then if you all dump together at a specific date the price will go down.
With enough resources the market will follow suit and start dumping.
Then buy back in after a specific moment and wait for the recovery due to the buy-back.
All will profit at the expense of others.

So yes 1 person can but not on his own unless holding >1000 BTC to play with.

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
bintangkejoraku

Activity: 262
Merit: 1

https://saturn.black

View Profile
December 12, 2018, 11:20:37 PM

if you want to manipulate the price of bitcoin you must have very large funds, and you must have a very strong community because you can't do all of that alone. this price manipulation is very likely to occur.

♛ SATURN♛
Liquidity providerfor crypto markets Cross-chain Exchange & OTC trading Platform
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: