Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:04:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Two Factor Authentication phone, no seed  (Read 112 times)
Solidhead (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2018, 04:27:23 PM

Hello, few days ago I had transferred some bitcoins from one of my two wallets. The wallet where I transferred the money to has two way authentications but I lost my original phone and I’m not sure how I can restore it on my new phone.

I also don’t remember my seed for the second wallet (I have it installed on my computer and know the password so I can send money but can’t make a withdrawal)…what options do I have to authenticate? Please tell me there is a way out of this. Thanks, Phil
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2018, 04:40:15 PM
Last edit: October 30, 2018, 10:34:43 AM by bob123

Hello, few days ago I had transferred some bitcoins from one of my two wallets. The wallet where I transferred the money to has two way authentications but I lost my original phone and I’m not sure how I can restore it on my new phone.

I also don’t remember my seed for the second wallet (I have it installed on my computer and know the password so I can send money but can’t make a withdrawal)…what options do I have to authenticate? Please tell me there is a way out of this. Thanks, Phil

To restore the 2FA on your new mobile, you'll have to use the 2FA-seed given to you when setting it up (16 characters; letter and numbers).

You need one of these to be able to access your coins:

• Access to your 'second wallet' (which you obviously have) AND the 2FA code
  • The original seed given to you when setting up the second wallet (which you don't have anymore)
  • Master private key of your wallet (xpriv..) [2 out of 3 since it's a multisig]
  • Single private keys [2 out of 3 since it's a multisig] of all addreses you have sent coins to (including change addresses)

Those are the only options. Some user (the fewest) have reported that they could successfully retrieve the 2FA code by emailing TrustedCoins (3rd party, your 2FA service provider) with the original email and asking for help.

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
October 30, 2018, 09:53:43 AM

• Master private key of your wallet (xpriv..)
  • Single private keys of all addreses you have sent coins to (including change addresses)

He needs 2 out of 3 xprivs or 2 out of 3 address specific private keys since it's a multisig wallet.

Best option is to contact trusted coin as you said. If he controls the email he used to create the wallet I'm sure he can get them to reset 2fa for him.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2018, 10:34:49 AM

He needs 2 out of 3 xprivs or 2 out of 3 address specific private keys since it's a multisig wallet.

You are right, i somehow missed it  Roll Eyes Thanks for pointing out, i fixed it.

Best option is to contact trusted coin as you said. If he controls the email he used to create the wallet I'm sure he can get them to reset 2fa for him.

Unfortunately the chance of getting it back is relatively low, i'd say.
Even though some user have reported they successfully got their 2FA reset, the majoritiy said TrustedCoin refuses to reset it (which is reasonable because it would open a new attack vector).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: